Windows 10: How can the restart button be removed from the start menu?

Discus and support How can the restart button be removed from the start menu? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Since restarting my computer is a hassle and a no-go I would like to remove the restart button from the start menu. This would ensure that should I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by D.Titanium, Feb 23, 2020.

1. How can the restart button be removed from the start menu?

Since restarting my computer is a hassle and a no-go I would like to remove the restart button from the start menu. This would ensure that should I forget that my computer doesn't restart I don't accidentally choose it while my mind is occupied with some task like I did today. When I choose restart from my menu like this

How can the restart button be removed from the start menu? 801b4af9-ca21-47b8-a5fd-00ca146c0c76?upload=true.jpg

my computer does shut down as normal but it doesn't turn back on. When I try to turn it on manually I must try a combination of things to jog the memory and kickstart it. Last time it was hold the power button down for a few seconds, release and then press power quickly once for a fraction of a second. Today it was plug in and unplug my computer while tapping the power button. Obviously restart is trash and I would like to just remove restart completely from my start menu. From now on I will simply turn off my computer and then manually turn it on with the actual power button.

I was once given directions on how to remove other menu items with registry editor. Is there an easy regedit solution for my task?

Thank you in advance for any replies!

:)

D.Titanium, Feb 23, 2020
  2. Rensouken Win User

Start menu button not working??

I found this suggestion on this website:

http://www.bidnessetc.com/

I followed these steps and it worked for me. Hopefully it will work for you too:

Step 1: Right-click the Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin) from the context menu.

Step 2: Type Powershell in Command Prompt and press Enter.

Step 3: Paste the following text in the Powershell window and press Enter.

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Wait for the command to run and ignore the red error prompts if they arise. The Start Menu should be operational now.

Rensouken, Feb 23, 2020
  3. Start menu not working

I found the following article, ran the suggested powershell command and my start menu is working again. Here it is as I found it:
    Go to Start menu button and right click on it. This will open the contextual menu, after which you need to select Command Prompt (Admin). Once Command Prompt is open, go ahead with the following steps.

• Type and enter: Powershell
    • Type the following: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Don Donadio, Feb 23, 2020
  4. David Haz Win User

How can the restart button be removed from the start menu?

Start menu

Hello Elliot,

May we know if you have made any software changes prior to the Start menu not opening?

We suggest that you check any updates for you device, you may follow the steps below on how to check for updates without using the Start menu:

• Press the Windows button + R, type
      ms-setting:
      , and then select OK. This opens Settings.
    • In Settings, choose Update & security >
      Windows Update
      , and then select Check for updates. Install any available updates and restart your PC if required.

We look forward for an update from you.

Regards.

David Haz, Feb 23, 2020
Thema:

How can the restart button be removed from the start menu?

1. How can the restart button be removed from the start menu? - Similar Threads - restart button removed

2. How can I set the start menu power button to restart instead of shut down?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I set the start menu power button to restart instead of shut down?: I know this can be changed, but I can't remember how to do it. I want the power button on the start menu to show "restart" instead of "shut down". I know there's a drop down menu, but I want to set it and forget it....
  3. How can I set the start menu power button to restart instead of shut down?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I set the start menu power button to restart instead of shut down?: I know this can be changed, but I can't remember how to do it. I want the power button on the start menu to show "restart" instead of "shut down". I know there's a drop down menu, but I want to set it and forget it....
  4. How to remove uninstalled items from the Start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove uninstalled items from the Start menu: I'm having a lot of trouble finding the answer to the above question.I've recently uninstalled a few programs from Windows 11, however, the names of the programs remain in the start menu but with no icon. When right clicking, it gives the option to uninstall, but obviously...
  5. How to remove uninstalled items from the Start menu

How to remove uninstalled items from the Start menu: I'm having a lot of trouble finding the answer to the above question.I've recently uninstalled a few programs from Windows 11, however, the names of the programs remain in the start menu but with no icon. When right clicking, it gives the option to uninstall, but obviously...
  6. How to remove the Extensions menu button from Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    How to remove the Extensions menu button from Microsoft Edge: [ATTACH]Microsoft lately has adopted the Chromium open-course project for its web browser Edge. Microsoft Edge now runs on the Chromium web engine delivering a better performance and web compatibility. The new Chromium-based Edge comes in with better productivity and some fun...
  7. How to remove item from alphabetical start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove item from alphabetical start menu: I have an item in the alphabetical start menu that no longer exists in applications. How do I remove it? Windows 10 1903 Thank you... 162419
  8. Sleep button in start menu restarts computer.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep button in start menu restarts computer.: As my title says, when I press the sleep button or when the timer to put my computer to sleep runs out the computer goes to sleep but immediately wakes up with a black screen and the windows logo with the dotted loading circle. It appears the computer restarts but at no point...
  9. Windows 10 - Remove power button from Start menu

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 - Remove power button from Start menu: Hi, As mentioned in some other threads (which are locked unfortunately) there is a problem with the power button in Start menu: For a VDI system it's necessary to prevent access to the power functions (reboot, shutdown). This can be done during GPO: User Configuration >...
  10. How can I remove programs from start menu Programs?

How can I remove programs from start menu Programs?: I have a lot of programs installed and have my own toolbars to access them. Seeing all those programs on the Programs list of the start menu is distracting. All I really want is the folders that house subprograms. The only option offered is to uninstall but not to remove from...