Windows 10: How can undo a windows update?

Discus and support How can undo a windows update? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I used to have the windows border width set to 4 using winaero tweaker (or a registry edit) to make it easier for me to see the borders and to move... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by pmennen, Dec 17, 2019.

1. pmennen Win User

How can undo a windows update?

I used to have the windows border width set to 4 using winaero tweaker (or a registry edit) to make it easier for me to see the borders and to move them around with the mouse, but now after the last windows update this no longer works. The border is now pretty much non-existent and I absolutely HATE it. I thought I could bring it back to the way it was using system restore, but when I went to system restore I found that although I had it on with a large amount of space to assure that I had lots of restore points, windows at some point had decided to turn off windows restore all on its own. Why in the hell would windows decide to do that all on its own. I have found windows restore used to get me out of all kinds of jams, and now all of the sudden it is worthless because it turns off on its own accord. Is this done on purpose by microsoft so they can control your system regardless of the users desires? I'm beginning to wonder if I still own my computer or if it now belongs to microsoft. At any rate, if anybody has a suggestion of how I can go back to an older version of windows to get my thicker windows borders back I would greatly appreciate it. ~Paul

:)

pmennen, Dec 17, 2019
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Window Update Undoing changes made to your computer issue

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to help you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps, pleas reply with the details requested below:

• Do you receive any error message after Windows update?
    • May I know after which update do you see this message?
    • When you say, “this message appear about half and hour" does the computer boot to the desktop?
    • What is the make and model of the computer?

If the computer doesn’t boot to the Desktop, I would suggest you to refer the suggestions provided by DaveM121 replied on April 7, 2019 in the thread

'Undoing changes made to your computer' in Windows 10

If you are able to boot the computer to the Desktop, I would suggest you to run the

Windows Update Troubleshooter
    and see if that helps.

If the issue persists, I would suggest you to reset Windows Update components. Kindly refer the article by Sumit on

How to:Reset Windows update components in Windows

You may also want to refer the steps mentioned in the article
    Troubleshoot problems updating Windows 10

Note: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost. Also, the last step in the article
    talks about Clean installation, please do not perform a clean installation of Windows.

Let us know the results, we will be glad to help you.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Dec 17, 2019
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Dec 17, 2019
  4. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond How can undo a windows update? :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Dec 17, 2019
Thema:

1. How can undo a windows update? - Similar Threads - undo update

2. how can I undo the latest update that windows 10 is pretending it didn't do but it clearly...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can I undo the latest update that windows 10 is pretending it didn't do but it clearly...: in the images below you can clearly see updates from the last two days but the 'go back to previous version of windows 10' option is greyed out. Of course when I try to uninstall these updates manually it just reinstalls. I don't know if that's causing the problem with my...
  3. how can I undo the latest update that windows 10 is pretending it didn't do but it clearly...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can I undo the latest update that windows 10 is pretending it didn't do but it clearly...: in the images below you can clearly see updates from the last two days but the 'go back to previous version of windows 10' option is greyed out. Of course when I try to uninstall these updates manually it just reinstalls. I don't know if that's causing the problem with my...
  4. how can I undo the latest update that windows 10 is pretending it didn't do but it clearly...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. My pc is stuck on “ we couldn’t complete update, undoing changes” screen where it just...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc is stuck on “ we couldn’t complete update, undoing changes” screen where it just...: I accidentally turned off my pc from the plug mid update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-is-stuck-on-we-couldnt-complete-update/8312e63d-7f9f-4c5c-b176-533bad3b1744
  6. My pc is stuck on “ we couldn’t complete update, undoing changes” screen where it just...

My pc is stuck on “ we couldn’t complete update, undoing changes” screen where it just...: I accidentally turned off my pc from the plug mid update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-is-stuck-on-we-couldnt-complete-update/8312e63d-7f9f-4c5c-b176-533bad3b1744
  7. My pc is stuck on “ we couldn’t complete update, undoing changes” screen where it just...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Why is my pc updating to 60% and then undoes changes??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my pc updating to 60% and then undoes changes??: Hi, my name is Youcef.want to ask, every time I update my windows 10 it updates till 60%, right? well not in my Case... It reaches the minimum of 60% and then restarts my computer and it will undo Changes. So, if there is a solution for it, please reply to this thread.Thanks,...
  9. Why is my pc updating to 60% and then undoes changes??

Why is my pc updating to 60% and then undoes changes??: Hi, my name is Youcef.want to ask, every time I update my windows 10 it updates till 60%, right? well not in my Case... It reaches the minimum of 60% and then restarts my computer and it will undo Changes. So, if there is a solution for it, please reply to this thread.Thanks,...
  10. Why is my pc updating to 60% and then undoes changes??

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade