Windows 10: How can you identify and locate Temporary Files

Discus and support How can you identify and locate Temporary Files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Under Windows 10 Start->Settings->System->Storage->C: - my 1TB drive shows 746GB used and 184GB Free - and the breakdown from there is: Other:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by roninrr2, Jan 16, 2021.

1. roninrr2 Win User

How can you identify and locate Temporary Files

Under Windows 10 Start->Settings->System->Storage->C: - my 1TB drive shows 746GB used and 184GB Free - and the breakdown from there is:

Other: 231GB

Temporary Files: 128GB <-------??

Pictures: 118GB

Other People: 105GB

System & reserved: 73GB

Apps & Games: 36GB

Documents: 34GB

OneDrive: 16GB

Music: 695MB

etc.

First of all, I don't know what Other: and Other People: are:

1 but clicking on the "Other", the breakdown shows a bunch of Folders from an Older computer, I guess that I had backed up on the C: drive - and I am OK with that.

2 Clicking on the "Other People", for a breakdown all I get is:

"You can manage other user accounts on this PC below"

"Manage other people" <-- in clickable Blue, but clicking on it does nothing

AND THEN NOTHING

I am assuming that this is my Admin User account - and am OK with that, it that is what it is

3 MY CONCERN is with the 128GB of Temporary Files.

When I click on "Temporary Files" to get a breakdown, all I get is a list of Categories of temporary files with a total size of 2.18GB selected to be removed if I check on every one of the categories listed.

So where are the other 126GB of Temporary Files.

I have searched everywhere, but frankly really don't know what to look for. I have tried Disk Cleanup - and that didn't help either.

WARNING ABOUT DISK CLEANUP: In trying to recover some Disk space, there was an item in Disk Cleanup that was labeled as "Deletes of System Restore Points" - which was supposed to Delete "old" System Restore points but save the new, last Restore point. IT DOESN"T - it deleted my single last Restore point. System & reserved was 226GB before the "Deletes of System Restore points", and 73GB after it wiped out my Restore point - not happy that it did that, but not too likely to need the Restore point, although it was recent, created by Windows when doing the Windows Version 20H2 update. [OK, I won't belabor this point farther - the Restore point is gone and I did pick up some disk space.]

But back to my questions of where or how can I recover the 128GB that Windows has identified as Temporary Files. Trying to do some large backups from OneDrive to an External Hard drive and need some additional space on my C: drive.

ron in shawnee

:)

roninrr2, Jan 16, 2021

2. How To Delete Temporary Internet Files And Temporary Files In Windows 10

Hi,

As you are saying that you are not able to delete the temporary internet files and temporary Files in Windows 10.

Provide us with the below details for better clarity on the issue.

1.Have you installed any third party applications to clean up temporary Files?

2.In the Disk Cleanup had you checked the Temporary Internet files and Temporary files before doing disk cleanup?

I suggest you to follow the below steps and try deleting the temporary internet files.

• Open Internet Explorer by typing Internet Explorer in Search Bar. Click the
      Tools
      button, and then click Internet Options.
    • Click the General tab, and then, under Browsing history, click
      Delete.
    • In the Delete Browsing History dialog box, select the check boxes for the information you want to delete, click
      Delete, and then click OK.
    I also suggest you refer the Microsoft article on View and delete browser history in Microsoft Edge
    and check if it helps.

View and delete browser history in Microsoft Edge

Let us know if the issue with the deletion of temporary files is resolved we will be glad to assist you further.

Anup Karkal, Jan 16, 2021
  3. Guy NN Win User
    Issue with temporary files

Hi Junaid,

I unhide the files as per the article "Show hidden files" but it does not help to see what takes up to 29GB in my temporary files (settings/system/storage/temporary files).

The other two methods you mentioned have already been tried without success.

Regards,

Guy

Guy NN, Jan 16, 2021
  4. NShafkat Win User

How To Delete Temporary Internet Files And Temporary Files In Windows 10

Hi Anup,

Thank you for your reply.

I would respond as follows:

1. No, I have not installed any third party applications to delete Temporary Internet Files or Temporary Files.

2. Yes, as mentioned in my message, I had chcked the relevant boxes for Temporary Internet Files and Temporary Files before performing Disk Clean-up. But still the files won't delete.

Your suggestion is about deleting Browsing history. I don't have any issues with deleting Browsing history. It's about deleting Temporary Internet Files and Temporary Files. Browsing history can be deleted via Internet Options or from the option available
    in the Hub of Microsoft Edge.

Any help on how to delete Temporary Internet Files and Temporary Files would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

NShafkat, Jan 16, 2021
Thema:

1. How can you identify and locate Temporary Files - Similar Threads - identify locate Temporary

2. Can you identify if my windows is genuine or not

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can you identify if my windows is genuine or not: Partial product key- BP2KG * Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-you-identify-if-my-windows-is-genuine-or-not/3650cf3f-7179-40b2-ad43-dd2a641efd4b
  3. Can you identify if my windows is genuine or not

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you identify if my windows is genuine or not: Partial product key- BP2KG * Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-you-identify-if-my-windows-is-genuine-or-not/3650cf3f-7179-40b2-ad43-dd2a641efd4b
  4. Windows 10 Could not locate temporary files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Could not locate temporary files.: Hi, I need some help clearing storages spaces in D Drive. However, whenever I got to the storage setting, there was no option to delete temporary files. Screenshot 1 & 2. 1. 2. I did try to delete it from the D Drive Folders. It also says 0 GB of temporary files Screenshot 3....
  5. Windows 10 Could not locate temporary files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Could not locate temporary files.: Hi, I need some help clearing storages spaces in D Drive. However, whenever I got to the storage setting, there was no option to delete temporary files. Screenshot 1 & 2. 1. 2. I did try to delete it from the D Drive Folders. It also says 0 GB of temporary files Screenshot 3....
  6. Windows 10 Could not locate temporary files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How do you undo deleting temporary files (Help!)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do you undo deleting temporary files (Help!): I was clearing space on my computer and was using delete temporary files. I had lots of important documentation in my downloads folder. I accidentally clicked delete temporary files in my downloads folder and the files are all gone and I have no backup of these files. How do...
  8. 1152: Error extracting files to the temporary location

in Windows 10 News
    1152: Error extracting files to the temporary location: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]When you extract the contents of a file or when an installation is in progress, the extraction of its files to a temporary location fails, then this post may help you. Some times in a situation like this, you may [...] This post 1152: Error extracting files...
  9. Can't locate Temporary files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't locate Temporary files: Hi, I am using Windows 10, I usually delete files from temporary file folder by typing *Temp* whenever the computer speed slows down, now when I type *Temp* to access the folder it doesn't show. Kindly help me on this matter. Regards, John Rodrigues...
  10. Can you identify this program please?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can you identify this program please?: It is used to markup web pages for instructional use. Here is a typical view of it, with two items marked: [img] I used to have it before a crash deleted all my programs and I can't remember its name. Thanks. 91815