Windows 10: How can you minimize RAM usage?

Discus and support How can you minimize RAM usage? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi guys I just want to know how to minimize RAM usage in a laptop.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Ilias Kslr, Sep 23, 2018.

1. How can you minimize RAM usage?

Hi guys I just want to know how to minimize RAM usage in a laptop.

:)

Ilias Kslr, Sep 23, 2018

2. RAM leaks and high CPU usage

Sorry to seem so negative, folks, but am I the only one who thinks it's disgraceful that the onus seems continually to be on users to fix the ridiculous RAM leaks and high CPU usage problems that were caused by the Fall 2017 Creators Update?

I received the Creators Update for Windows 10 Pro near the end of the year -- not surprisingly, since I'm currently living in eastern Europe. Installation went smoothly, but from the outset, I began experiencing significantly higher RAM and CPU usage. These
    were issues that I'd not experienced before. I did a bit of research, and discovered that the errors don't really seem to depend on system hardware or idiosyncratic configurations. Instead, the problems appear to lie clearly with the update itself.

I'm lucky enough to have a very robust system: i7 Haswell-E 5820, factory overclocked and liquid-cooled; 32 GB of RAM; GTX-980; fast SSD as my program drive, etc. I also have a Rainmeter skin that shows me RAM and CPU usage in real time. On boot, I used
    to see only about 2.25 GB of RAM being used; CPU would settle to 1-2%. Since the Creators Update, RAM usage on boot is routinely from a low of about 4.25 GB to as much as 7.5 GB, and CPU usage regularly shows prolonged inexplicable intervals of 20 - 35% usage,
    and occasionally even more.

I've tried the various suggested measures to alleviate the problems, with minimal (and only temporary) success at best. I've had no success at all in trying to get information directly from Microsoft through Support. It's worth noting that all the various
    suggestions to deal with these problems involving taking steps to cripple Windows functionality in order to reduce system overheads, thereby depriving users of some of the very benefits the OS is supposed to provide. Microsoft doesn't seem to be bothered by
    that; in fact, it seem quite content to allow users to flounder around in the mess created by the update.

Does anyone have a definitive solution for the RAM leakage and CPU usage problems (short of turning to an alternative OS)? Is there any word as to whether Microsoft will address these problems soon?

Moved from: [Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings]

FlatPicker, Sep 23, 2018
  3. eshiejamz Win User
    eshiejamz, Sep 23, 2018
  4. knute97 Win User

How can you minimize RAM usage?

Task Manager RAM Usage

My computer is running 64 bit Windows 10 with 6 GB of RAM.

I have been monitoring my memory usage via Task Manager and occasionally download tasklist via the cmd line.

What has been bothering me is that my RAM usage at reboot starts at 34%, and left alone, increases to ~75-80% without running any programs.
    (I do have start up programs including McAfee, Dropbox, Seagate console, gadgets, etc.)

When I analyze the tasklist download file via Excel, the total RAM memory usage is approximately 3.1 GB at 79%.
    Doing the math, this means there is only 4 GB in use?

I have 2 questions:

1. Does Task Manager list all the RAM usage or is there some background usage that is not shown.?

2. Is there any other way to monitor RAM leakage?

knute97, Sep 23, 2018
Thema:

How can you minimize RAM usage?

1. How can you minimize RAM usage? - Similar Threads - minimize RAM usage

2. Very high ram usage on startup, minimal startup applications.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Very high ram usage on startup, minimal startup applications.: Hello all! I've just noticed that my ASUS TUF A15 with 16GB DDR4 RAM 15.4GB Usable has been eating up my RAM on startup. I have very minimal startup applications running. Any help in solving this would be great!...
  3. Very high ram usage on startup, minimal startup applications.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Very high ram usage on startup, minimal startup applications.: Hello all! I've just noticed that my ASUS TUF A15 with 16GB DDR4 RAM 15.4GB Usable has been eating up my RAM on startup. I have very minimal startup applications running. Any help in solving this would be great!...
  4. RAM usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RAM usage: There is something I don't understand, why do different services and processes make a difference in RAM usage and affect the RAM usage of each other. Firstly, the windows widgets was taking up too much of RAM and it was of no use to me, so I disabled it from the registry....
  5. HOW TO FIX RAM USAGE

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HOW TO FIX RAM USAGE: HOW TO FIX RAM USAGE AND RUNNING MULTIPLE TASK PLS HELP I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-ram-usage/f45ecb30-b06a-4bd2-a5bc-2fcf95c78cdd
  6. RAM usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    RAM usage: Hi I have 2 gb RAM and I am trying to run an app which recommends 4gb RAM so I set the virtual memory or the paging files to 2.5gb and I don't know if this enough or even would help so please I need an expert to answer...
  7. RAM usage

RAM usage: Okay so, my problem comes from the fact that in standby my laptop is using over half of it's memory and I have no clue why it's doing this. On top of that it's causing any game I try to play to crash, so if anyone could help, that'd be very much appreciated....
  8. RAM usage

RAM usage: My Ram is usually in the 60-high 70's% regen. the most activity being done is web browsing. Is this normal? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ram-usage/f4977764-fc2a-4a3f-972a-ddf00029591b
  9. How can I minimize CPU usage?

How can I minimize CPU usage?: Hey can someone tell me how to minimize cpu usage? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/how-can-i-minimize-cpu-usage/724f450e-0f43-4a3e-8344-3f6a4d1a6ac6
  10. How can I minimize disk usage?

How can I minimize disk usage?: I open Task Manager in my laptop and I can see that my disc usage is 100% and it won't decrease. Can somebody help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/how-can-i-minimize-disk-usage/48d573a2-d284-45c6-a17b-637e0672d3ee