Windows 10: How can you use “Disk Cleanup” without erasing restore points?

Discus and support How can you use “Disk Cleanup” without erasing restore points? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I have my pc working well now, so I created a restore point on my PC. In the past, I have used “Disk Cleanup” to clean up files. Everytime... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AlanWodke, Sep 22, 2019.

1. AlanWodke Win User

How can you use “Disk Cleanup” without erasing restore points?

Hello,

I have my pc working well now, so I created a restore point on my PC.

In the past, I have used Disk Cleanup” to clean up files. Everytime I use

the Disk Cleanup” on my computer, it also erases my restore points.

How can I use “Disk Cleanup” without erasing restore points?

Thanks

Alan

:)

AlanWodke, Sep 22, 2019

2. DISK CLEANUP

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Which files are you trying to delete using disk clean up?
    2. Which version of Windows are you currently using?

Please reply back with the information to the above questions in order to provide you with appropriate troubleshooting steps:

I understand that you are trying to free up memory using Disk Cleanup. If you are trying to delete files using disk cleanup on Windows 10, I suggest you to refer the following article on

Disk cleanup in Windows 10
    for steps to perform disk clean up on your PC.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Sep 22, 2019
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    disk cleanup

Hi joysoder, to properly and safely delete any files not required by your system, run Disk Cleanup twice as explained below. Each time select everything in the list and delete them. Disk Cleanup will not suggest deleting anything that is not safe to delete
    . . .

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Start Disk Cleanup again

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

DaveM121, Sep 22, 2019
  4. Kem Mon Win User

Create restore point does not stop

Hi Nigel,

Restore points are usually saved in
    Local Disk (C), kindly check that the Local Disk (CHow can you use  “Disk Cleanup” without erasing restore points? :) (System) is
    selected when creating a restore point. If it is correctly selected and the issue still persists, kindly go to the
    Local Group Policy Editor
    and check if the
    "Turn off Configuration"
    and
    "Turn off System Restore State"
    is set to
    Not configured. To do this, press
    Windows key + R, type
    GPEdit.msc
    and hit
    Enter. Go to the location
    Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > System Restore and check if both state is set to "Not configure".
    If it is set to the correct state, perform these troubleshooting:

Check Disk:

To do this, follow these steps:

• Access
      Command
      Prompt as
      Administrator.

• Type
      chkdsk /f /r
      and hit
      Enter.

Run SFC Scan: 

To run an
    SFC scan, follow these steps
    (Kindly perform it 3 times):

• Run
      Command Prompt as Administrator.  

• Type
      sfc /scannow
      and hit
      Enter.   

Run DISM Tool: 

To perform
    DISM, follow these steps:

• Run
      Command Prompt as Administrator.  

• Type the following command:  

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /scanhealth  

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth  

NOTE:
    This might take a while to finish scanning.
    Do not cancel (after running DISM, run SFC again 3 times).

If the issue persists, kindly provide us the screenshot of the return message so that we can investigate this matter
    further.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Sep 22, 2019
Thema:

1. How can you use “Disk Cleanup” without erasing restore points? - Similar Threads - “Disk Cleanup” without

2. Disk cleanup does not erase the totality of the files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk cleanup does not erase the totality of the files.: Hi. I am using Windows 10 and trying to liberate disk space. When using the disk cleanup app and giving the ok to clean, it erases 5 GB from the total 100 GB to clean; I need to re-open and run it repeatedly to erase 5GB at a time. Do you know why disk cleanup doesn't erase...
  3. Disk cleanup does not erase the totality of the files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk cleanup does not erase the totality of the files.: Hi. I am using Windows 10 and trying to liberate disk space. When using the disk cleanup app and giving the ok to clean, it erases 5 GB from the total 100 GB to clean; I need to re-open and run it repeatedly to erase 5GB at a time. Do you know why disk cleanup doesn't erase...
  4. Disk cleanup does not erase the totality of the files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can you Backup Restore points or Recover Corrupt Restore Points in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 News
    Can you Backup Restore points or Recover Corrupt Restore Points in Windows 10?: [ATTACH]System Restore Points are states of Windows OS that can be used to fix the computer if anything goes wrong. Right from missing system files […] This article Can you Backup Restore points or Recover Corrupt Restore Points in Windows 10? first appeared on...
  6. Restore Points Erased

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore Points Erased: hi I have system restore enabled and even made several restore points over last couple of weeks. But when I go into restore it says i have no restore points. Pls help. I use Windows `10 but do not use Windows backup as I use Toolkit gate to continuously backup my computer....
  7. how do you restore Windows.old without restore point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how do you restore Windows.old without restore point: I had 3 trojan malware on my system. Our IT person is gone. I reset windows and have been working for 2 days to install the programs in office 365, but they are set up really funky and cannot get Outlook to function at all. I have both private and business accounts and...
  8. Restore System using restore point

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore System using restore point: Hello, Had to use a recent restore point. Started the restore, made a list what will be affected, and it started. After waiting about 25 minutes I got an error notice that restore was not succesful because of anti virus (?). The only antivirus on my system is windows...
  9. Using Restore Points

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Using Restore Points: found this: v [img] Still confused about restore point. Found this, says it's off. Shouldn't I click 'configure' to set this up to be able to set some 'restore points' now and then? If things got cranky, fix it up easily "...by reverting your computer to a previous restore...
  10. Using Restore Points

in Windows 10 Support
    Using Restore Points: found this: v [img] Still confused about restore point. Found this, says it's off. Shouldn't I click 'configure' to set this up to be able to set some 'restore points' now and then? If things got cranky, fix it up easily "...by reverting your computer to a previous restore...