Windows 10: How change default "app" to a different, unlisted PROGRAM?

Discus and support How change default "app" to a different, unlisted PROGRAM? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; For file type .dng my system is currently stuck to Affinity Photo. I do not WANT .dng files to default there. I want them to default to Adobe Bridge. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by GracieAllen, Oct 11, 2020.

1. How change default "app" to a different, unlisted PROGRAM?

For file type .dng my system is currently stuck to Affinity Photo. I do not WANT .dng files to default there. I want them to default to Adobe Bridge. I cannot find a way to select the program I want. I set it to Photoshop 2020, but I DON'T WANT dng files automatically going there.

How do I make Windows 10 let me select the program I want?

And no, going in through the control panel doesn't work - it just dumps to the same *&^%$# Windows 10 thing.

:)

GracieAllen, Oct 11, 2020

2. Changing Default program in Win 10 home

Hi Alan,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

• As you sure that this program is successfully installed on the PC?

If the default protocol that you wish to change is not available in the Settings app, you can use Control Panel to change the default programs in Windows 10.

Follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key + X to get the menu.
    • Click the ‘Control Panel’ and then click on ‘Default Programs’.
    • Click on the option saying ‘Set Your Default Programs’.
    Control Panel will find the installed apps and programs and display the list. You will see the list of installed program in the left pane and the right pane will contain a description of program, along with options that let you set the program as default
    for files/protocols it can handle

Select the program that you wish to set as default, and then click on ‘Set this Program as Default’. This will set the program as default for files and protocols it can handle.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Oct 11, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

How change default "app" to a different, unlisted PROGRAM? [​IMG]

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

How change default "app" to a different, unlisted PROGRAM? [​IMG]

4. Anne Ros Win User

How change default "app" to a different, unlisted PROGRAM?

how do I change the default program for extracting files

Hi,

You can change the default program that's extracting the files by either changing it from the settings or right-clicking on the zipped file and choose which program will open it. We'd like to know which program are you using yo extract the files.

In the meantime, follow the steps below to change the default program:

• Right-click on the file you want to extract.
    • Choose Open with and select which program you want to use.
    • In other cases, a new menu will appear when choosing Open with. You can choose "Choose Default Program" from there.

Change the default programs from the Settings.

• Go to Settings. Choose Apps then
      Default apps.
    • Select the app or program you want to use as default from the list.

We'll wait for your response.

Anne Ros, Oct 11, 2020
Thema:

How change default "app" to a different, unlisted PROGRAM?

1. How change default "app" to a different, unlisted PROGRAM? - Similar Threads - change default app

2. How to change default apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change default apps: How do I fix the bug where default 2023 programmes never appear in this dialogue and choosing them manually using the more apps option doesn't change a thing. This has been affecting Adobe users for a year now, and other software for more than a year and despite multiple...
  3. How to change default apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change default apps: How do I fix the bug where default 2023 programmes never appear in this dialogue and choosing them manually using the more apps option doesn't change a thing. This has been affecting Adobe users for a year now, and other software for more than a year and despite multiple...
  4. How to change default apps

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. How to change which apps to use in Preview Pane, but not changing the default programs?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change which apps to use in Preview Pane, but not changing the default programs?: Hi there. I've just reinstall my Windows from 2004 to 20H2, cause last time, when I try to update to the 20H2 version, the taskbar doesn't work and uninstall update doesn't fix that bug, so I have to reinstall it. I realize that preview pane in File Explorer isn't the same as...
  6. How to change which apps to use in Preview Pane, but not changing the default programs?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change which apps to use in Preview Pane, but not changing the default programs?: Hi there. I've just reinstall my Windows from 2004 to 20H2, cause last time, when I try to update to the 20H2 version, the taskbar doesn't work and uninstall update doesn't fix that bug, so I have to reinstall it. I realize that preview pane in File Explorer isn't the same as...
  7. How to add unlisted program to priority list in notification

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to add unlisted program to priority list in notification: Hi, as the title said, i wanted to add a program to priority for notification. but the program is not listed on the priority option and i didn't find an option to add one....
  8. How to Change Default Programs in Registry

How to Change Default Programs in Registry: Hi, I'm trying to change the default program for opening .txt files to notepad++ in Windows 10. When I go to the normal Default Programs in "Settings", there is no option for notepad++ and I can't find anything in the store. So I figured that left me with the registry....
  9. Change default program

Change default program: I just got a new computer. I always use Paint Shop Pro for my pictures. But I can't get Windows to open all pictures in it. I always have to go more steps. And even if I say to use Paint Shop as program - for sure next time I open a picture I get Windows photo app. Any idea...
  10. Change default program

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change default program: Hi I have both OneNote2010 and OneNote2016 installed (because you must the whole 2016-office suite) but I just use the 2010 version After the last Windows update default program for (.one) has changed back to 2016 And I cant find the 2010 version to add How can you...