Windows 10: How change default MailTo: to an app not listed?

Discus and support How change default MailTo: to an app not listed? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I use an application by the name of Outlook Express Classic which is very much like the Outlook Express program that was discontinued by Microsoft. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by David40GD, Nov 24, 2020.

1. David40GD Win User

How change default MailTo: to an app not listed?

I use an application by the name of Outlook Express Classic which is very much like the Outlook Express program that was discontinued by Microsoft. I want this to be my only email client program. I was able to make it my default App for eml files, but I am unable to make it my default client for things like "MailTo:" instances where I click on a MaiTo link on a website. My OEC does not appear in the list of default Apps I can choose from.

Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks

:)

David40GD, Nov 24, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

How To Change MAILTO: Protocol To OEClassic or Thunderbird? (W10CE)

No, it only lists those apps that specifically declare in the registry that they have the capability to handle the MAILTO protocol. I got Firefox to appear in my list by adding an appropriate registry entry to say that it did. You may well be able to add a similar registry entry for OEClassic. Failing that, you may be able to use Firefox to handle MAILTO as it would then act as a stepping stone on the way to your OEClassic.

From the link I gave earlier....

3. dalchina Win User
    Mailto: in Browsers not working

Hi, I have installed Pegasus mail, and during the installation, accepted the option to set it as the default mailto client.
    I also set it as the default from an Open with prompt.

I can confirm that clicking on email links opens Pegasus, and that the mailto entry as per my screenshot shows Pegasus.

I installed Pegasus at a custom location (in the same folder as Thunderbird's installation folder).

So there appears to be no fundamental conflict with Win 10.

This might suggest some other issue with yours which is affecting mailto. You mentioned you have noticed some other problems- could you list them or suggest any that could possibly be related?

dalchina, Nov 24, 2020
  4. Riel Alc Win User

MAILTO NOT WORKING IN WINDOWS 10

Hi Robert,

To resolve the issue with your Mailto in Windows 10, please follow the steps below:

• Open the Control Panel.
    • In the Control Panel, search for Default Programs, then click it.

How change default MailTo: to an app not listed? bdc8f123-ff35-4881-a2ed-cf4b6fed652e.jpg

• Under Choose the programs that Windows uses by default, click
      Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
    • Under Associate a file type or protocol with a program, scroll down the list until you find
      MAILTO.
    • Double-click MAILTO, then choose the client you prefer.

How change default MailTo: to an app not listed? f69cdee8-4603-46f2-ae25-7d24757d6b3e.jpg

• Click OK.

Let us know the result.

Riel Alc, Nov 24, 2020
Thema:

1. How change default MailTo: to an app not listed? - Similar Threads - change default MailTo

2. How to remove app listed in the default app options?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove app listed in the default app options?: While trying to set default apps and not finding the app I wanted on the pop up list in default app settings, I selected "Choose an app on your PC".The problem is, the file I actually selected is not an executable but was entered as a choice in the default app pop up list...
  3. How to remove app listed in the default app options?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove app listed in the default app options?: While trying to set default apps and not finding the app I wanted on the pop up list in default app settings, I selected "Choose an app on your PC".The problem is, the file I actually selected is not an executable but was entered as a choice in the default app pop up list...
  4. How to change default apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change default apps: How do I fix the bug where default 2023 programmes never appear in this dialogue and choosing them manually using the more apps option doesn't change a thing. This has been affecting Adobe users for a year now, and other software for more than a year and despite multiple...
  5. How to change default apps

How to change default apps: How do I fix the bug where default 2023 programmes never appear in this dialogue and choosing them manually using the more apps option doesn't change a thing. This has been affecting Adobe users for a year now, and other software for more than a year and despite multiple...
  6. How to change default apps

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. How to add programs to the Default Apps list?

How to add programs to the Default Apps list?: I mean the list that shows up when you go to Settings > Apps > Default Apps. You can "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store", but I want to add a .exe. I know you can set default apps by file type or protocol, but this is much easier and I don't have to set them one by one...
  8. How to add programs to the Default Apps list?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to add programs to the Default Apps list?: I mean the list that shows up when you go to Settings > Apps > Default Apps. You can "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store", but I want to add a .exe. I know you can set default apps by file type or protocol, but this is much easier and I don't have to set them one by one...
  9. Set Mailto default to Gmail in Chrome

in Browsers and Email
    Set Mailto default to Gmail in Chrome: I've googled and searched tenforums and found descriptions of how to do this but nothing seems to work. I have added the mailto Handler in Chrome settings and it shows mail.google.com. I have set the Mail default app to Chrome. I have set the default Mailto protocol...
  10. Changing default MailTo Protocol in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing default MailTo Protocol in Windows 10: I would like to change the default MAILTO Protocol in Windows 10 to a program of my choice but it won't let me choose anything other than Thunderbird or Microsoft Mail. How do I select a specific program (in my case it is OEClassic). Thanks. 9971