Windows 10: How comes different size of start menu for the same XML for different OS (1809 and 1909)

Discus and support How comes different size of start menu for the same XML for different OS (1809 and 1909) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Hi, I am currently applying a custom start menu layout using an XML applied in a ConfigMgr Task Sequence. My current baseline is 1809 and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/RiD3R07, Jul 9, 2020.

1. How comes different size of start menu for the same XML for different OS (1809 and 1909)

How comes different size of start menu for the same XML for different OS (1809 and 1909) uuzXtdajSh_wGkggI-_kJeLU8xzQbyz_QcKPUtCS3Qk.jpg

Hi,

I am currently applying a custom start menu layout using an XML applied in a ConfigMgr Task Sequence. My current baseline is 1809 and the start menu is wide and fits all the apps.

https://preview.redd.it/dtc7utb2zv9...bp&s=3daa53188bd7cf9341b8914cff0efc4f1254ba96

But when I apply the same XML to a 1909 Task Sequence (with everything else exactly the same), the Start Menu's size is squashed and doesn't fit the apps.

https://preview.redd.it/exc5a0w9zv9...bp&s=f02af7d8b05675e6095ef384c6ffb62877a754e5

How can I fix this? I have already tried re-creating the XML file from a 1909 device but still the same result.

Thanks,

submitted by /u/RiD3R07
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/RiD3R07, Jul 9, 2020
  2. d88david Win User

Adding OneDrive tile to start menu .xml with GPO

Hi Yasir,

Thank you for getting back to me but I have seen that suggestion which will not work for me. That steps suggested to do it manually which I'm trying to pin it to the start layout tile using .xml file via GPO. Below is the path where the OneDrive shortcut
    that I'm trying to pin to the start layout tile.

<startHow comes different size of start menu for the same XML for different OS (1809 and 1909) :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\OneDrive.lnk" />

d88david, Jul 9, 2020
  3. Font size problem when working with different Window Menus

Windows 10 with update 1903. Omen 17T. Resolution 1980x1020. NVDIA PhysXGeoforce GTX 1050. I have settings to custom scaling at 125% and ease of access make text bigger.

Windows menus come up at different sizes like device manager, system information, windows trouble shooter, Services are coming up. Outlook has different size fonts folders different then inbox and messages. Point is that the font sizes do not
    work across system, some places tiny and some large.

At 100% scale and no text enlargement the text on Omen appears to be about 6 to 8 font, so doing nothing is not an option.

Troubleshooted with Omen tech support who experienced problem on their end with custom scaling and ease of access make text bigger.

Having different fonts sizes can cause headaches, neck strain, and back pain (leaning in and out) to those with presbyopia.

Tucker Bear, Jul 9, 2020
  4. YKKY Win User

How comes different size of start menu for the same XML for different OS (1809 and 1909)

Windows 10 1909 start menu side-bar behavior

I'm currently using Windows 10 1903 and it is the first Windows 10 version I'm using as my primary OS.

I've tried 1909 (18363.418) already and noticed that when I hover the cursor over the side-bar on the left of the Windows Start Menu, the side-bar expands to its full size instead of just showing the tooltip for the hovered item like in 1903.

How comes different size of start menu for the same XML for different OS (1809 and 1909) b4h0d.png

In 1903 there is the standard three-stripes icon on the top for ones who not satisfied with tooltips and want to expand the Start Menu side-bar.

In 1909's Start Menu this icon also exists and expands the side-bar to its full size, as expected.

The problem is hovering the mouse over the 1909's Start Menu side-bar also expands the side-bar to its full size instead of just showing the tooltip for the hovered side-bar item.

I've searched several times through the whole Settings app but haven't found how to get rid of this annoying behavior.

May be I can change something in the registry?

YKKY, Jul 9, 2020
Thema:

How comes different size of start menu for the same XML for different OS (1809 and 1909)

1. How comes different size of start menu for the same XML for different OS (1809 and 1909) - Similar Threads - comes different size

2. How to show different app icon in start jump list for different OS version for different theme?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to show different app icon in start jump list for different OS version for different theme?: I am developing an UWP app. The app icon in jump start list is changed when I upgraded to version 20H2 from version 1903. In 1903, the jump start list app icon was shown from targetsize icon. But in 20H2 it seems like the icon is showing from unplated targetsize. I want...
  3. Windows thinks same size monitors are different?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows thinks same size monitors are different?: So I just got a 1440p monitor to compliment the 4k monitor I got when I built my PC. They both are 27” but obviously are different resolutions. When I go to arrange my screens, the 1440p monitor shows as smaller than the 4k monitor, despite them being the same size. Any idea...
  4. Different behavior with the same application under different Microsoft OS

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Different behavior with the same application under different Microsoft OS: Hello, Here's my setup: Pc with Windows 10 Enterprise version 2004, VMWARE Workstation Pro latest Version 15.5.5 Build 16285975, Visual studio 2019 MFC cpp. I've developed an app with Visual studio 2019 last version upppdated with MFC and C++. This app only says...
  5. Same folder, big difference in size

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Same folder, big difference in size: [IMG] Hi, I have a question about this. I have a COMPUTER folder and the original is storaged in a Hard External Disk left and I tried to copied to another folder where is located in the Desktop of a Laptop right. It passed aprox. 3 hours and 30 minuted to complete the...
  6. Start menu different

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu different: Split from this thread. I recently downloaded an update of Copic search.; They changed the start menu. How can I revert to the prior format? I have since deleted the program as I was advised that it is not secure by my McCaffrey...
  7. Screens are same size but different resolution.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Screens are same size but different resolution.: I have 2 screens, my main monitor that is 1440p, and a TV above it that is 1080p. They are identical in size, but due to their different resolutions windows detects the TV as being smaller. This means trying to move the mouse from the top right side of the monitor hits an...
  8. Icons of the same size appearing differently

Icons of the same size appearing differently: All of these icons were created with the same oldtv file, in the same manner but with different logo pngs. They have all of the same properties (size, resolution [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH] They originally all appeared as the larger size for months but recently have...
  9. Same partition but showing in different individual sizes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Same partition but showing in different individual sizes: I'm facing this issue from so long i left thinking about that because i worried about the data loss It is three partition but every partition is showing in some different sizes combined to form a single partition. i was going to dual boot then i saw it in the partition UI....
  10. Dual displays Same size different resolutions

Dual displays Same size different resolutions: I have a 1440p monitor and a 1080p monitor. They are both 27' and when i go to customize display settings they show up as different sizes. which makes things appear weird when going across the two monitors. Windows 10 thinks the 1080 is smaller. So i was hoping there was a...