Windows 10: How Defender treats deleted apps after restoring default settings

Discus and support How Defender treats deleted apps after restoring default settings in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; A lot of pre-installed apps that I consider bloatware which included Store apps that can be uninstalled in Apps and Features, as well as bloatware... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Jaguwaar20, Feb 24, 2021.

1. How Defender treats deleted apps after restoring default settings

A lot of pre-installed apps that I consider bloatware which included Store apps that can be uninstalled in Apps and Features, as well as bloatware device Manufacturer apps, were pre-installed by Windows during the initial OS install. I had uninstalled mostly ALL since then using third party tools e.g, Revo, Geek Uninstaller and to remove all leftover remains.

Still, for whatever reason, some apps still show in the "allowed apps to communicate through the firewall" list with a check next to those apps including a check under the private and public profiles which I use. The function to remove those apps from the list could not be performed because the "remove" button is greyed out (yes! I clicked the button on the top right) in advanced settings. Hence, all that could be performed is "unchecking" those apps.

I mucked around a bit with the inbound and outbound rules in the Advanced settings. I was able to block some executable files associated with some of the bloatware apps using the 'program' filter. I could trace their location in the Windows Apps folder using the browse button. For other apps where stubborn leftovers were not found in the Windows Apps folder I had used "properties" and just selected the button to block those.

I would like to restart all over to see possibly what connections Defender re-establishes with uninstalled apps since the initial Windows install.

I know restoring Defender to default settings restores the firewall back to factory settings. But what I would like to know is whether the default Windows Defender settings will block connections for leftover remains of apps that were uninstalled or will it re-establish connections to allow connections through the firewall? Yes. I saw both outbound and inbound connections allowed after I uninstalled apps under all three profiles.

:)

Jaguwaar20, Feb 24, 2021

2. How to set Microsoft Photos App as default

Hello,

We understand the issue you are facing and will assist you.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>System.
    • In the left pane, click on Default Apps.
    • In the right pane, click on Choose default apps by file type.
    • Set the default App to open .jpg files and check for status.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Feb 24, 2021
  3. Cannot set "Calendar" as default app

Hi J.C.Coelho,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 Technical Preview is much appreciated.

I would suggest you to try the below steps and check whether you are able to make the Calendar as default.

• Go to Settings.
    • Click on System.
    • Select Default apps from the left pane.
    • Click on Choose default app by protocol at the bottom.
    • Select the Calendar and choose an app.
    Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Feb 24, 2021
  4. thename Win User

How Defender treats deleted apps after restoring default settings

Firefox not showing up in default apps

Only because your list contained FF . Same list as in Default apps page. You did not have the problem that is treated in this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

I made my desired browser, missing from the list, go into the list by modifying registry entries according to those shown by Kolbicz in blog. You get credit for putting it to our attention.

thename, Feb 24, 2021
Thema:

How Defender treats deleted apps after restoring default settings

1. How Defender treats deleted apps after restoring default settings - Similar Threads - Defender treats deleted

2. Windows Defender Firewall will not allow me to restore default settings, how to fix?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender Firewall will not allow me to restore default settings, how to fix?: When I try to restore to default settings it keeps saying Window Defender Firewall can't change some of your settings. Error code 0x800706d9. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-firewall-will-not-allow-me-to/682f67b1-a885-4aae-84ef-9e82ed2d47af
  3. Windows Defender Firewall will not allow me to restore default settings, how to fix?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender Firewall will not allow me to restore default settings, how to fix?: When I try to restore to default settings it keeps saying Window Defender Firewall can't change some of your settings. Error code 0x800706d9. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-firewall-will-not-allow-me-to/682f67b1-a885-4aae-84ef-9e82ed2d47af
  4. How to restore Startup Settings to default?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore Startup Settings to default?: I recently changed one of the settings in the "Startup Settings", which settings are detailed in this article. I believe I selected--"Disable driver signature enforcement"--in order to install a third-party driver, which I believe was option number 7 in the menu I was...
  5. How to restore Startup Settings to default?

How to restore Startup Settings to default?: I recently changed one of the settings in the "Startup Settings", which settings are detailed in this article. I believe I selected--"Disable driver signature enforcement"--in order to install a third-party driver, which I believe was option number 7 in the menu I was...
  6. Restore default settings

Restore default settings: I have applied read only settings to the personal users folder in mr windows 11 laptop. And due to this some functions such as search bar is not working. How do i restore original settings to each folder?...
  7. Restore default settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore default settings: I have applied read only settings to the personal users folder in mr windows 11 laptop. And due to this some functions such as search bar is not working. How do i restore original settings to each folder?...
  8. Windows Defender cant delete treat

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender cant delete treat: Hi, the problem im facing is that yesterday notification appeared: "Windows scan completed, 1 treat was found. Actions was taken." i looked at protection history and there was no treats. I scanned system with the full scan and the same message appeared without any history...
  9. how to restore default keyboard settings?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to restore default keyboard settings?: My keyboard entry has slowedown ad canno makenries nomaly , note thetpngefectsi tis https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-restore-default-keyboard-settings/b4f6f054-791a-4292-8f87-6219615ba382
  10. Restore Default Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Restore Default Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows 10: How to: Restore Default Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows 10 [img] Information Starting with Windows 10 build 16193, Windows Firewall has been renamed to Windows Defender Firewall. Windows Firewall can help prevent hackers or malicious software from gaining...