Windows 10: How did flash drive contents get on OneDrive in User Folder?

Discus and support How did flash drive contents get on OneDrive in User Folder? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I do not use OneDrive. At least I do not intend to use OneDrive. However, I have just noticed that the OneDrive folder on my hard drive has contents... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by TF_950, Oct 30, 2018.

1. TF_950 Win User

How did flash drive contents get on OneDrive in User Folder?

I do not use OneDrive. At least I do not intend to use OneDrive. However, I have just noticed that the OneDrive folder on my hard drive has contents from a flash drive I have inserted into the PC from time to time. I have several questions: (1) How did this most likely happen, since I never used OneDrive deliberately and even tried to remove pathways to it? (2) Does this mean that the contents of the flash drive are on the Microsoft cloud? (3) If the contents are on the cloud, despite MS protestations to the contrary, does this not mean they could be exposed in theory? (4) How can one choose settings n the PC that will really keep the PC's contents off the cloud? FYI, I have Windows 10 latest build and Office 2016 perpetual, without ever using (as far as I can tell) cloud-based Office.

:)

TF_950, Oct 30, 2018
  2. Isha Soni Win User

Moving folders from OneDrive to C: drive

Hi,

Thank you for the detailed information.

Move the OneDrive folder to a new location. This is useful if you have a limited storage capacity main drive but a separate storage drive and you want your OneDrive content synced to the separate drive.

Move the OneDrive Folder

Move the OneDrive Folder

You can refer to the following work around. This will help you to choose the folders to sync on Onedrive.

• Right click on OneDrive icon of
      System Tray

• Click on Settings, then click on
      choose folders
      tab.

• Click on choose folders option, then click on sync only these folders.
    Hope this helps. Please do let us know if you need further help.

Thanks & Regards,

Isha Soni, Oct 30, 2018
  3. This PC leads to the OneDrive folder.

The folders the you see on This PC are linked to your
    OneDrive
    account, therefore when you open the folder or file, the path automatically routes to OneDrive. To prevent this from happening, we suggest that you unlink your
    OneDrive account by following the steps provided in the previous post. Once you're done, you can then sign back in and change the path of your
    OneDrive folder.

NOTE: OneDrive can sync only with folders on a drive formatted with the NTFS file system, which is most commonly a hard disk drive on your computer, or an external hard disk drive. Portable storage, such as USB flash drives
    or solid state memory drives, use a different file system and won't sync with OneDrive.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Darwin Dim, Oct 30, 2018
  4. cereberus Win User

Can an existing folder be added to OneDrive (without moving contents)?

Very easy to do this using symbolic junction links.

From an admin command prompt, type

mklink /j c:\users\yourname\onedrive\folder1 X:\folder1

where X is the drive letter of the external drive containing your folder containing music files.

See example below. I have a folder on external drive E containing one file - black.png

After creating junction link, there is a dummy folder in the one drive structure, and if you list it, you see the file.

It has not been physically copied to onedrive.

Beauty is you can now sync that onedrive folder to the cloud. If you add a file to the external drive folder, and you have it syncing, the file will automatically be synced to the cloud.

It remains on cloud if you detach external drive.

Of course, you need to make sure external drive is always given the same drive letter.

If you want to remove the symbolic link type

rd c:\users\yourname\onedrive\folder1

This deletes dummy folder AND folder in cloud. If you want to retain in cloud, rename folder in cloud first.

How did flash drive contents get on OneDrive in User Folder? [​IMG]

cereberus, Oct 30, 2018
Thema:

1. How did flash drive contents get on OneDrive in User Folder? - Similar Threads - did flash drive

2. Files not on hard drive and not on onedrive. Where did they get saved?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files not on hard drive and not on onedrive. Where did they get saved?: I turned off Onedrive so it was no longer syncing. I saved a bunch of files to my desktop and the laptop won't boot, just beeps. Went to recover the folders from the hard drive and the documents folder under my user name is missing files and has old versions of others. Where...
  3. Files not on hard drive and not on onedrive. Where did they get saved?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files not on hard drive and not on onedrive. Where did they get saved?: I turned off Onedrive so it was no longer syncing. I saved a bunch of files to my desktop and the laptop won't boot, just beeps. Went to recover the folders from the hard drive and the documents folder under my user name is missing files and has old versions of others. Where...
  4. Files not on hard drive and not on onedrive. Where did they get saved?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. why did deleting a backed-up folder on onedrive also erase the contents of that folder on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why did deleting a backed-up folder on onedrive also erase the contents of that folder on...: onedrive decided i wanted to back up the contents of my entire desktop. i did not ask it to do this, i do not even have onedrive enabled at startup, it is not setup to back up anything on my computer at all. and yet, when i deleted the backed up desktop folder, through the...
  6. why did deleting a backed-up folder on onedrive also erase the contents of that folder on...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why did deleting a backed-up folder on onedrive also erase the contents of that folder on...: onedrive decided i wanted to back up the contents of my entire desktop. i did not ask it to do this, i do not even have onedrive enabled at startup, it is not setup to back up anything on my computer at all. and yet, when i deleted the backed up desktop folder, through the...
  7. OneDrive - content has gone into package folder - how can I get rid of this data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive - content has gone into package folder - how can I get rid of this data: I have a personal computer. I had onedrive on it. I was trying to unlink the computer from one drive. Onedrive had 57 GB of data. I have unlinked the onedrive from my computer. Now it showing that the pacakage folder which has all the caches etc has this 57 GB of data. How...
  8. Onedrive folder how to restore from the onedrive folder to my user folder?

Onedrive folder how to restore from the onedrive folder to my user folder?: I removed/uninstalled OneDrive but I still have a OneDrive folder and most of my files are in that folder including my documents, pics and desktop. While my computer seems to work okay can I restore the location of these files in my user folder rather than in the OneDrive...
  9. How to get flash drive to open

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to get flash drive to open: How to get flash drive to open;???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-flash-drive-to-open/81aa42c9-0e27-4cd5-8e77-9501fffce0c8
  10. Hidden content in folder user

Hidden content in folder user: The folder C:/users/thyge has grown to 54GB _ something is hidden, but what and how can I get to it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hidden-content-in-folder-user/e1d91669-ac87-4fda-b2ab-b237d4b782e8"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file:///C:/Users/ascle/OneDrive/Desktop/letter to social security.pdf

2. sharing file and folders on onedrive with out flash disk