Windows 10: How DID I kill Cortana?

Discus and support How DID I kill Cortana? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; There are 2 PCs - my Old PC and my New PC. Both are running Windows 10 v1809. Old PC is running Home Edition, New PC is running Pro Edition Somehow, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by TV2, Mar 9, 2019.

1. TV2
    TV2 Win User

How DID I kill Cortana?

There are 2 PCs - my Old PC and my New PC. Both are running Windows 10 v1809.
    Old PC is running Home Edition, New PC is running Pro Edition

Somehow, I was able to completely remove Cortana from my Search App on Old PC. But I can't for the life of me remember how I did that. I want to do the same on New PC.

Before we jump to conclusions, it was not the Registry Edit Method of finding and changing AllowCortana value to 0. That has NOT been done on Old PC. I must have done something else.
    Looking for suggestions.

On Old PC, when you look into Settings - No Cortana:

How DID I kill Cortana? [​IMG]

And my Search Box is nice and clean:

On New PC I have Cortana in the Settings:

And I have Helicopter Mom in my Search Box:

How did I kill Cortana??

:)

2. ShigekiOka, Mar 9, 2019
  3. Dewdrop_ Win User
    Cortana Notebook

In order to enable the Notebook icon in Cortana, I suggest you to check if you have enabled Cortana.

To enable Cortana, please follow the steps below:

• Go to Cortana.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Turn on “Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts”.

Hope this helps.

Dewdrop_, Mar 9, 2019
  4. How DID I kill Cortana?

Cortana

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

This issue can occur if some of the system files are not working as expected.

Suggest you to follow the steps from this article to
    troubleshoot Cortana on the PC

Note: Do not go with the ‘Reset PC’ option for now.

Method 1: Follow these steps to disable Cortana:

1. Sign-in to the PC with your Microsoft account.
    2. In the search box at the bottom, type Disable Cortana.
    3. Once the suggestions appear in the list, click Cortana & Search settings.
    4. From the right section of the Settings pane, move the top button to ‘Off’ to disable Cortana from Windows 10.

Method 2: Follow these steps to check if that helps.

1. Launch Cortana from the search bar on the taskbar.
    2. Then, from the left pane click the settings button.
    3. Under "Cortana" (the first option) and slide the pill switch to the ‘Off’ position.

Method 3: Launch the Settings app and click on Privacy. Navigate to Speech, inking, & typing, and click Stop getting to know me. These steps will disable Cortana.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Mar 9, 2019
Thema:

How DID I kill Cortana?

1. How DID I kill Cortana? - Similar Threads - DID kill Cortana

2. Why did Cortana do this?

in Cortana
    Why did Cortana do this?: Guys, I asked Cortana to play my music but it didn't work. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-did-cortana-do-this/47c342e6-cdf1-47c8-8f28-cb59868385b4
  3. How to kill Cortana / Edge?

in Cortana
    How to kill Cortana / Edge?: This has been asked previously. However, no real answer has been provided - how do you stop Cortana eating ram and processing cycles? Failing that, how do I stonewall Cortana so she's not telling her creators everything about me? I realise I'm not the best at hiding my...
  4. I completely killed Cortana, way back... nothing works for reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I completely killed Cortana, way back... nothing works for reset: I found the Cortana feature extremely creepy and turned it off COMPLETELY. Now I would like to use her for dictation. I don't remember what I did to disable it, but I would have gone for the most brutal method... Now it is completely missing from my computer.. No process...
  5. I completely killed Cortana, way back... nothing works for reset

in Windows 10 Support
    I completely killed Cortana, way back... nothing works for reset: I found the Cortana feature extremely creepy and turned it off COMPLETELY. Now I would like to use her for dictation. I don't remember what I did to disable it, but I would have gone for the most brutal method... Now it is completely missing from my computer.. No process...
  6. cortana is attacking my system how do I kill it

in Cortana
    cortana is attacking my system how do I kill it: cortana photos background host services cortana is using the myphone and photos to set up a background hosting service How do I prevent this?...
  7. How DID I kill Cortana?

How DID I kill Cortana?: There are 2 PCs - my Old PC and my New PC. Both are running Windows 10 v1809. Old PC is running Home Edition, New PC is running Pro Edition Somehow, I was able to completely remove Cortana from my Search App on Old PC. But I can't for the life of me remember how I did that....
  8. Did the Microsoft people kill texting from the PC using Cortana and the phone?

in Cortana
    Did the Microsoft people kill texting from the PC using Cortana and the phone?: On the PC, I used to be able to type "send text" and then they moved the cheese and it was "send text message" in order to send a text message through the phone. Today I just noticed that even that doesn't work now. Instead I get a message that says to use Cortana on the...
  9. Is microsoft killing cortana

Is microsoft killing cortana: Is Microsoft killing Cortana because I saw a news article that it is so is it true https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-microsoft-killing-cortana/38cb7a9c-359f-433b-a3d5-cf3fe1e5b5db
  10. How did I succeed in disabling Cortana?

How did I succeed in disabling Cortana?: I have two PCs and a laptop, all om Win10 AU. On the 2 PCs when I click on the search icon I get a popup window that says "Start typing to search for apps, files, and settings" at the top and "Search Windows" at the bottom. That is what I want. On the laptop I get the Cortana...