Windows 10: How did Windows 10 automatically install on a new SSD

Discus and support How did Windows 10 automatically install on a new SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I replaced my existing 750 GB HDD with a new blank 1 TB SSD. I have Office 365 subscription and use OneDrive to sync files When I initally installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BillNeet, Aug 7, 2020.

1. BillNeet Win User

How did Windows 10 automatically install on a new SSD

I replaced my existing 750 GB HDD with a new blank 1 TB SSD.

I have Office 365 subscription and use OneDrive to sync files

When I initally installed the new SSD and tried to install Windows 10 from a recovery USB device it would not install as I did not have my product code.

I then unplugged the USB device and rebooted the PC laptop to the new SSD without any devices connected except wireless connection.

I was distracted while the SSD booted up and when I came back to the PC somehow Windows got installed without me doing anything. It booted up with my custome wallpaper installed which I assume happened as the OneDrive backup/sync files were accessible.

How did Windows 10 get automatically installed and activated ?

If this happened due to using a OneDrive to sync files I want to tell friends to use OneDrive as it will automatically install Windows and recover synced files.

This is Way Cool

Bill

:)

BillNeet, Aug 7, 2020
  2. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Aug 7, 2020
  3. r.h.p Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

What's your intended PC specs ??

r.h.p, Aug 7, 2020
  4. Carsomyr Win User

Partition SSD during windows 10 install

I'm assembling a new PC and running a fresh windows 10 install. I'd like to know how to partition the ssd into 2 separate partitions during the windows install (I'm using a bootable usb drive to install Windows).

I want to know if I need to input specific settings for those partitions or if it's all automatic?

I need one partition for Windows on and another for my documents. The ssd has 960gb size.

So I'm guessing it has about 60gb over-provisionning. I could leave out a bit more, but it probably doesn't matter that much

Carsomyr, Aug 7, 2020
Thema:

1. How did Windows 10 automatically install on a new SSD - Similar Threads - did automatically install

2. How to install windows on new ssd.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install windows on new ssd.: I have a desktop that has hdd replacing with ssd.1tb to 1tb. Just looking to do fresh install. With pc off obviously, Can I just unplug old hdd and plug in new ssd and go through setup process? Do you do anything to the ssd before installing into pc? Kind of new to this stuff...
  3. How to install windows on new ssd.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to install windows on new ssd.: I have a desktop that has hdd replacing with ssd.1tb to 1tb. Just looking to do fresh install. With pc off obviously, Can I just unplug old hdd and plug in new ssd and go through setup process? Do you do anything to the ssd before installing into pc? Kind of new to this stuff...
  4. Installing Windows 10 on new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing Windows 10 on new SSD: hello, i am adding a new ssd to my commputer. currently windows 10 is running on my hdd. oem license. can the same oem license support both windows on ssd and hdd?i might wipe down the hdd or remove it down the road.. since windows is in hdd first, does it mean the boot...
  5. Installing Windows 10 on new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows 10 on new SSD: hello, i am adding a new ssd to my commputer. currently windows 10 is running on my hdd. oem license. can the same oem license support both windows on ssd and hdd?i might wipe down the hdd or remove it down the road.. since windows is in hdd first, does it mean the boot...
  6. Installing Windows 10 on a new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Windows 10 on a new SSD: So I have my laptop for around 2.5 years, it has a standard 1td HDD. I want to replace it with a SSD. However I have no idea how to install win10 on the SSD since my laptop doesn't have a disc drive. Is there any other way I can install windows 10? submitted by...
  7. Installing windows 10 on new SSD

Installing windows 10 on new SSD: my previous HDD failed after 7+ years of use and I am doing a fresh install of windows 10 through a bootbleable USB created from the downloadable ISO image. would i have to purchase a activation key once again? or would my microsoft account still have the digital license from...
  8. Installing Windows 10 on new SSD

Installing Windows 10 on new SSD: Hello. I have a desktop PC with a 1GB HDD. It has Windows 10 (1809) on C: partition and Games, Documents, photos and other data on D: The boot mode is Legacy BIOS. I am going to install a 240 GB SSD as the primary drive and install the current version of Windows 10 on it. I...
  9. New Windows 10 install on new SSD

New Windows 10 install on new SSD: I am installing Windows 10 on a new SSD and have got to a screen that says "Make it Yours." This screen will not let me do anything. (locked up) I restarted the computer and it just goes back to the same screen with the same problem. NEED HELP!!! Thanks...
  10. Did a fresh install of Windows 10 on a new SSD, no activation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Did a fresh install of Windows 10 on a new SSD, no activation: I upgraded from Windows 7 to 8, and I no longer have the key for 7. From Windows 8.1 I upgraded to 10. Recently got an SSD, wanted to do a fresh install on it. Used media creation tool to make a USB copy. Booted from USB, formatted old hard drive, and loaded Windows onto new...