Windows 10: How do I access BIOS if I have a Legacy motherboard instead of UEFI?

Discus and support How do I access BIOS if I have a Legacy motherboard instead of UEFI? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am trying to overclock my CPU, but I can't seem to access the BIOS screen when I mash the BIOS key on boot. It seems like it has something to do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Eric Hullaby, May 25, 2020.

1. How do I access BIOS if I have a Legacy motherboard instead of UEFI?

I am trying to overclock my CPU, but I can't seem to access the BIOS screen when I mash the BIOS key on boot.

It seems like it has something to do with the fact that my motherboard BIOS type is listed as Legacy instead of UEFI.

How do I access BIOS if every solution fails?

Solutions I've tried:

Spamming the BIOS key on boot

Shift-clicking the restart button no UEFI settings in that menu

Disabling fast boot

Using a shutdown tf switch shortcut

Everything about my system is perfect for overclocking, it runs cold, it passes stress tests, and it runs at low capacity with a very very demanding game playing, but I need its speed to match its strength.

:)

Eric Hullaby, May 25, 2020
  2. 72westy Win User

Legacy to UEFI

I'm debating moving to UEFI form my now legacy BIOS (Award Software Int.) the mother board is a GA-Z68XP-UD3 rev1.0 on the the following link it shows a UEFI BIOS U1J )UEFI BIOS)

GA-Z68XP-UD3 (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

Currently I'm running the legacy F10 BIOS. Does installing the UEFI BIOS automatically take care of everything to get to the UEFI BIOS? Installing the UEFI BIOS following the instructions using the Q-flash method GIGABYTE How to Reflash Motherboard BIOS

What's steps do I take and in what order?

Much appreciated

72westy, May 25, 2020
  3. Switched BIOS from Legacy to UEFI, motherboard no longer recognizes OS

Hello,

Long story short, after reinstalling Windows (Where I had to change BIOS to boot from USB over SSD), I had an issue where I could not access BIOS after the install. When restarting Advanced, the UEFI settings simply were not there and I could not access
    BIOS by any other method. I looked into my diagnostics and saw my BIOS was labeled as "Legacy." I entered a command into cmp to convert from Legacy to UEFI, but afterwards the motherboards does not recognize the SSD at all and just reboots. Windows was working
    fine after the re-install and before this.

This morning I was able to enter BIOS and switched a setting to recognize Legacy at boot, but that doesn't work.

I know one solution is to re-install Windows again, but for multiple reasons I really don't want to do that for the SSD unless there is a way to preserve all 500GB of data on it. I do have a spare 1TB HDD, though. Is there a solution to have the motherboard
    recognize the SSD? If I have to reinstall Windows to change settings, can I do that on the HDD and then reinsert the SSD? I can't clone the harddrives either to or from, trying to do so is what caused the original issues before this and led to my computer
    being unusable for weeks and resulted in multiple calls to Microsoft support to fix.

Thank you

DavidRodriguez3, May 25, 2020
  4. dac81048 Win User

How do I access BIOS if I have a Legacy motherboard instead of UEFI?

Problem Regarding Bios Change from UEFI to Legacy

I have hp pavilion p045tx with windows 10 pro. I recently install Ubuntu with windows 10 so for that I convert my bios setting from UEFI to Legacy mode for install third party software like wireless Driver and all in Ubuntu.
    But after every restart the bios setting change to default and that is to UEFI mode and that will cause an problem of no OS detect. Every time I have to go to bios setting and enable the legacy mode to start my OS. Can anyone suggest me what to do in this
    case.

dac81048, May 25, 2020
Thema:

How do I access BIOS if I have a Legacy motherboard instead of UEFI?

1. How do I access BIOS if I have a Legacy motherboard instead of UEFI? - Similar Threads - access BIOS Legacy

2. Bios swap legacy to uefi

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bios swap legacy to uefi: Motherboard/cpu upgraded ready for win 11. How to reinstall win 10 digital license to use new uefi bios. No facility for doing this. only gives option for retail licence install of win 10.trying to get system ready for win 11 but this is an obstacle to installation...
  3. UEFI instead of BIOS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    UEFI instead of BIOS: Hi guys. So recently i've been checking out my system components and my BIOS seems to be outdated. First of all i want to install UEFI instead of BIOS, and secondly, it says 'Outdated' next to the 'BIOS', which i believe is a bad thing? Even tho google tells me that i don't...
  4. Windows fails to detect UEFI BIOS, assumes Legacy instead

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows fails to detect UEFI BIOS, assumes Legacy instead: Hi, Due to some string of events, my computer has quick boot enabled in BIOS. I need to load UEFI to change some things, and am unable to because this setting is enabled. I assumed there was a way to reboot into UEFI from inside Windows 10, so I looked up how and found the...
  5. How do I know if my motherboard supports UEFI from BIOS.

How do I know if my motherboard supports UEFI from BIOS.: [IMG]I have a Windows 10 laptop and it shows only a black screen after boot up, I am going tocreate a bootable Pen Drive using rufus. How can I check if my HP laptop supports UEFI from BIOS though I can only open BIOS? I can open HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI in system...
  6. How do I switch from Legacy BIOS to UEFI?

How do I switch from Legacy BIOS to UEFI?: Hello everyone, I recently had an issue with my Sony Vaio SVJ202A11L where the config files were corrupted and decided that a clean install of Windows 10 was the best option. My device was using UEFI at the time and from the UEFI firmware UI I set the boot order to external...
  7. How do I switch from Legacy BIOS to UEFI?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I switch from Legacy BIOS to UEFI?: Hello everyone, I recently had an issue with my Sony Vaio SVJ202A11L where the config files were corrupted and decided that a clean install of Windows 10 was the best option. My device was using UEFI at the time and from the UEFI firmware UI I set the boot order to external...
  8. BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?

BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?: My Windows 10 says its BIOS mode is Legacy with C drive partition as MBR. Is it worth switching to UEFI mode with C drive as GPT partition? Why does it seem so difficult to install to UEFI mode with GPT partition? You do not get an option to choose when you install windows 10...
  9. EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS.......

EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS.......: This weekend I will try to do a clean install of Win 10 again, from Win 7. Have to try som new methods to see if I can get my computer running flawlessly with Windows 10. I will use the clean install tutorials from this forum. I hav two options, with or without UEFI...
  10. I have installed windows 10 in Legacy boot instead of UEFI

in Windows 10 Support
    I have installed windows 10 in Legacy boot instead of UEFI: I'd like to change it to UEFI because it boot faster than legacy. But whenever i change it it shows no bootable device. Also i would like to ask what's the difference between the two 49626