Windows 10: How Do I Access Settings If Windows +I Gives Me An Error

Discus and support How Do I Access Settings If Windows +I Gives Me An Error in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; A couple months ago I bought a used Gateway DX4860-UB20P tower that had been upgraded from Windows 7. I've been using it mostly to store mp3s. It seems... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by boweasel, Dec 16, 2016.

1. boweasel Win User

How Do I Access Settings If Windows +I Gives Me An Error

A couple months ago I bought a used Gateway DX4860-UB20P tower that had been upgraded from Windows 7. I've been using it mostly to store mp3s. It seems to work okay, but there's a few 'minor' problems that have me puzzled.

Left-clicking the start button does nothing. Right-clicking works fine - I can get to the Control Panel, open a command prompt, shutdown, restart, etc.

Thinking a Refresh should work wonders I hit the Windows +I combo. I got a message box - This App can't open. There's a problem with Settings. Contact your system administrator about repairing or reinstalling it.

If I right-click the Start and select Search and enter Settings I get nothing. Right-clicking an empty space on the taskbar gives me options, one of which is Settings. Clicking on it does nothing.

I created a new user with administrator privileges using the command prompt. The only difference, after switching to that user is that I don't get an error screen anymore when I hit Windows +I. It does nothing.

I ran a system file check and it told me that no integrity violations were found. A full Malwarebytes scan found nothing - it even congratulated me on finding no problems.

I do have a Home 64 disc, but a complete clean reinstall would mean a lot of transferring to a new external drive (one that I have not yet purchased). That reset seems like just the ticket, but I don't know how to get there. And of course, accessing Updates seems to be impossible without first getting into Settings.

:)

boweasel, Dec 16, 2016

2. Windows 10 and Email- How do I access Gmail and Yahoo?

I finally got live mail to work but the windows 10 mail app still gives me the error code

ChristinaHawkins, Dec 16, 2016
  3. Most websites that i go to gives me an Error 401 Authentication required and i have tried everything i can find online. Help please

Hi Eric,

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide the information stated below:

1. Are you connected to a domain network or home network?

2. Which web browser are you using to access the sites?

For now, if you are using IE, I suggest that you reset the web browser to check if the issue reoccurs after the reset.
    Refer to the link below to Reset Internet Explorer

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/reset-ie-settings#ie=ie-11

Disclaimer: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental control
    settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature. Also re-enable the add-ons.

Your reply is very important to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information to assist you accordingly.

Vanessa Sohtun, Dec 16, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

5. boweasel Win User
    Sure, and what happened is exactly what I expected - You can't keep Windows settings, personal files, and apps because your current version of Windows might be installed in an unsupported directory. The only option is to keep nothing. I didn't know how or why but I was positive that this would not go smoothly. An unsupported directory? C:\Windows? Unsupported? Another MS bite in the rear!

boweasel, Dec 16, 2016
  6. boweasel Win User
    I'm guessing that the 'unsupported directory' message has something to do with the following
    • Winver on the Gateway tower listed as Version 1607 (OS Build 143393.576)
    • Running the Dism command on the ISO disk in the tower reads Version 10.0.10586, Win 10 Pro.

I'm sure I downloaded the ISO from this site, and I labeled it Windows 10 Home 64, so I dunno how I ended up with Pro. And if the error is really because of the difference in type and build, wouldn't you think Microsoft would be smart enough (after all these years) to actually display a message that was relevant to the issue?

boweasel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How Do I Access Settings If Windows +I Gives Me An Error - Similar Threads - Access Settings Error

2. How do I give Remote Desktop storage access?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I give Remote Desktop storage access?: I am trying to load a .rdp file inside the app. I am using a Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 with Android 13. It's the most recent version of the app as well. Every time I try to open the file in the app, it says it needs storage permissions and gives the option to change them in...
  3. How do I give Remote Desktop storage access?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I give Remote Desktop storage access?: I am trying to load a .rdp file inside the app. I am using a Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 with Android 13. It's the most recent version of the app as well. Every time I try to open the file in the app, it says it needs storage permissions and gives the option to change them in...
  4. How do I give myself access to my own folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I give myself access to my own folder?: Whenever I try to open/delete one of my folders it pops up with a message saying "windows cannot open the folder, access to the compressed zipped folder is denied" and doesn't let me do anything, for example, i cant see the security settings because I don't have...
  5. How do I give myself access to my own folder?

How do I give myself access to my own folder?: Whenever I try to open/delete one of my folders it pops up with a message saying "windows cannot open the folder, access to the compressed zipped folder is denied" and doesn't let me do anything, for example, i cant see the security settings because I don't have...
  6. How do I make a bootable flash drive that doesn't give me an error?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I make a bootable flash drive that doesn't give me an error?: I interrupted a pc reset and maybe somewhere along that line I failed trying to format it. to install a windows, I have a usb iso file but the download tool, I'm not sure how to use it. maybe u can tell me what these three files do that are in the package that I downloaded:...
  7. How do I make a bootable flash drive that doesn't give me an error?

How do I make a bootable flash drive that doesn't give me an error?: I interrupted a pc reset and maybe somewhere along that line I failed trying to format it. to install a windows, I have a usb iso file but the download tool, I'm not sure how to use it. maybe u can tell me what these three files do that are in the package that I downloaded:...
  8. How do I give access to a program without admin priviliges?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I give access to a program without admin priviliges?: So my father put parental control on my computer a few mounts ago. He got rid of it because of the quarantine but he won't tell me the admin password or give access to any programs that I am trying to install, which is so freaking annoying. I am now trying to give access to a...
  9. How do I give an administrator administrative access in windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I give an administrator administrative access in windows 10: I'm an administrator. User Accounts explicitly states that this means that I have complete and unrestricted access to the computer/domain, and that I can make any desired changes. That being said, I'm still denied permission when I try to delete files, and told that I need...
  10. How do I access my settings

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    How do I access my settings: People say that you need to click on the 3 dots next to your profile pic, but I can't even see the three dots https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-access-my-settings/e0dd59c9-e685-4854-b423-ea2f83b5c251"