Windows 10: How do I access the MICROSOFT FTP server?

Discus and support How do I access the MICROSOFT FTP server? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello, I would like to access the microsoft FTP server but have found no way of doing it. Going into a browser and typing ftp.microsoft.com doesnt... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by mineblockftw, Oct 24, 2015.

1. How do I access the MICROSOFT FTP server?

Hello,
    I would like to access the microsoft FTP server but have found no way of doing it. Going into a browser and typing ftp.microsoft.com doesnt work and this happens

How do I access the MICROSOFT FTP server? [​IMG]
    (i have hidden all the stuff related to me)
    So if you beautiful people of the windows 10 fourms can help I will be very thankful
    Thanks, Mineblock

:)

mineblockftw, Oct 24, 2015

2. Error: "550 Cannot create a file when that file already exists" on Windows 10

I am getting “550 Cannot create a file when that file already exists. ” when I try to ftp to a specific folder on a Windows 10 Professional system that has (until several days ago) allowed me to ftp into that folder.

Every other folder on the computer I am trying to access is able to be accessed using ftp, but for some reason this one folder has stopped being accessible.

My guess is that this is some sort of rights issue (I may be wrong), but I simply do not know how to see what rights are being used or how to change them.

Original title: FTP rights issue

Peter A. Forkes, Oct 24, 2015
  3. Ricke 59 Win User
    Added FTP network place, can't delete file

With Win 10, I've added a network place for ftp use, using Windows explorer.

Accessing the ftp site works fine

Copying files to the ftp site works fine

Deleting file on the ftp site will not work.

How can I make this work?

Would be nice not having to use other ftp-client.

Ricke 59, Oct 24, 2015
  4. Chuck38 Win User

How do I access the MICROSOFT FTP server?

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do.

Do you have your own FTP Server that you are trying to access? If so what year of Windows Server are you using? Windows Server 2003, Windows server 2006, Windows server 2012, ect

Chuck38, Oct 24, 2015
  5. I am trying to access the MICROSOFT FTP SERVER. Their FTP.
    If it is impossible and they closed it no worries *Wink

mineblockftw, Oct 24, 2015
  6. ARC1020 Win User
    I'm not sure what purpose it would serve now-a-days as I think most people would just go to the download section of their website. I think the only use for FTP in recent years were those who had to put up with Dell's reluctance to ditch FTP and pirates using the Adobe FTP server to download software trials.

The Microsoft FTP server is still there as I can talk to it through Command Prompt, but it hangs at '150 Opening ASCII mode data connection' due to my Firewall settings and I can't be bothered to change them. Have you tried using an FTP client instead of the browser?

ARC1020, Oct 25, 2015
  7. I tried using FileZilla and just put L: FTP://FTP.microsoft.com but no luck :/
    I would like to see the files and copy and paste so yeah. I don't really want to install anything or change router or firewall settings.

I want to see the collections of old/new software on it.

mineblockftw, Oct 25, 2015
  8. ARC1020 Win User

I had a quick look through and it looks like it was abandoned in 2010, as I didn't come across anything newer than that.

ARC1020, Oct 25, 2015
  9. Great. So how did you manage to get on?
    And do you have any idea to copy files over?

mineblockftw, Oct 25, 2015
  10. I managed to get in the same way he did.
    Win+R to open the Run dialog, type "cmd" and Enter to open Command Prompt, navigate to the folder you want files saved in (your main user folder is the default), then type "ftp ftp.microsoft.com" and use "anonymous" as the user name and password. It will then connect. Use "dir" to see a list of available directories and "cd <name of directory>" to enter that directory, rinse and repeat until you find the file you're looking for.

For example, I wanted to give Hover! a shot, as I never knew it actually came with Windows 95. Personally, I upgraded to Win98 SE as soon as I had saved up for it. I was in high school at the time, and while my computer was pretty much obsolete, I loved it. It was mine!

So, I navigated to \deskapps\games\public\aas then typed "get hover.exe" to download. it's a WinZip extractor, so you'll want to tell it to extract to a directory that's easily accessible. I chose the desktop. The game plays perfectly, but looks horrible as there's no way to set resolution, and I believe 320x240 is the default, which appears stretched on my 1080p monitor.

Knux Kitsune, Mar 1, 2016
  11. SSYBESMA Win User
    Take a look here:

2002-07-02_ftp.microsoft.com directory listing <-- mini-me download (260.4MB ftp archive from 2002...not much)

ftp.microsoft.com.warc directory listing <- semi huge-mongous download (18.2GB web archive from 2014)

ftp.microsoft.com directory listing <- massively huge-mongous download (66.1GB ftp archive from 2015)

Basically everything you should potentially ever need, however the newer download is very gargantuan. I'm getting all 3 just because. Probably every Microsoft update known to man is in there between the 3 of them. The value of the older and much smaller 2002 one might be in case some were taken offline later. I checked and really not much there.

The best use of this:

Next time you run into a link that leads to a file you wanted to download from L: ftp.microsoft.com, check one of these files you downloaded and see if it's in there. Microsoft gives a lot of its files non-descript names, so you're likely to find the filename first by doing a search on the web (as you did), then check your download to see and you should have the file already on hand.

The technique of finding FTP sites at archive.org is different than how you look for an ordinary website, and it has to be downloaded as a large file instead of browsing a webpage. There are probably a lot of other FTP sites there as well.

SSYBESMA, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I access the MICROSOFT FTP server? - Similar Threads - access MICROSOFT FTP

2. Connecting to FTP Windows 10 FTP server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connecting to FTP Windows 10 FTP server: Total newb here. Trying to set up a file server in Windows 10. I've set up IIS services FTP service, FTP extensibility, and IIS management console. I created a test site with a physical path to a local folder. I set up a port forward 21 with xFinity they say my server doesn't...
  3. Connecting to FTP Windows 10 FTP server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connecting to FTP Windows 10 FTP server: Total newb here. Trying to set up a file server in Windows 10. I've set up IIS services FTP service, FTP extensibility, and IIS management console. I created a test site with a physical path to a local folder. I set up a port forward 21 with xFinity they say my server doesn't...
  4. Connecting to FTP Windows 10 FTP server

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Trouble accessing accounts on a Windows 10 FTP server

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trouble accessing accounts on a Windows 10 FTP server: After enabling file/printer sharing, I at least get ping replies from the Win 10 computer, but I'm still not able to log on its FTP accounts. If I use the command-line FTP tool on Windows XP, it says "Connected to host", but I get no login prompt. If I test via Microsoft Edge...
  6. Does anyone access to the Realtek ftp Server?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does anyone access to the Realtek ftp Server?: Does anyone have the login information for this site: ftp://spcust@ftp3.realtek.com/Realtek/ I was going use it for my personal use/modding. submitted by /u/xJayce98x [link] [comments]...
  7. How to add specific users to access an FTP Server on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to add specific users to access an FTP Server on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Now that we have successfully hosted an FTP Server, configured its connections to pass through Windows Firewall, set up the FTP server to be accessed via an external network and enabled browsing and updating files on the FTP Server, we [...] This post How to...
  8. FTP Server can not access some HDDs

FTP Server can not access some HDDs: I have enabled the built in FTP server in Windows 10. In the IIS console I have set up access to all 4 of my HDDs(Win 10 x64 runs on an SSD) but only 2 of them are visible. I have made sure my account has ownership of the drives and has sufficient permissions. What would...
  9. Ftp server

Ftp server: Hello I was wondering if there is any app or a way that allow me to sharing files with computers that are not on my network. 112192
  10. FTP accessibility

in Browsers and Email
    FTP accessibility: Both I.E. and EDGE "can't find the page" at L: ftp://ftp.server.com/username Firefox has no problem with access. How can that limitation be overcome in those browsers? 83588

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/deskapps/games/public/AAS/

2. ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/deskapps/games/public/aas/hover.exe