Windows 10: How do I activate a Windows Product Key on a newly replaced NVME drive after the old one...

Discus and support How do I activate a Windows Product Key on a newly replaced NVME drive after the old one... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I recently replaced my Samsung NVME drive with Windows 10 Home installed on it in my personal computer with a new Western Digital NVME drive. The old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Stevie D Dumaine, May 22, 2023.

1. How do I activate a Windows Product Key on a newly replaced NVME drive after the old one...

I recently replaced my Samsung NVME drive with Windows 10 Home installed on it in my personal computer with a new Western Digital NVME drive. The old drive was corrupted and unsafe to clone. I have already removed it and installed the new drive. I booted the new drive using the Windows media download off of a USB drive. It let me activate Windows using a free trial, but if I try to activate the product key which I do have from the previous drive from the Settings>Update & Security menu it won't even let me type in all 25 characters. I know you can also activate a product key from Micr

:)

Stevie D Dumaine, May 22, 2023
  2. AdamITGuy Win User

Activating an Old Product Key

So I have a failing hard drive that needs to be replaced. So have the new drive but the product key is an old one for windows 7 pro. when I went to micorsoft.com to download a new ISO for windows 7 and verified the product key I get the following message:

"The Product Key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacture. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options."

I just wanted to know what those options where or if I needed a whole new Product Key. the failing hard drive is for a client of mine so I'm not sure when the product was purchased. If someone can let me know what my next options I would greatly appreciate
    it thanks for your time.

Old Product Key: < Product Key removed by VM >

AdamITGuy, May 22, 2023
  3. EdTittel Win User
    Replacing old HD with SSD - product key question

If you have validated your existing copy of Windows 10 and it says "digital license" in your activation status:

How do I activate a Windows Product Key on a newly replaced NVME drive after the old one... 189263d1526658532t-replacing-old-hd-ssd-product-key-question-activated.jpg

you can simply make the drive swap and go through activation again. A disk change is not enough to make your existing activation invalid. It doesn't matter if you have a Microsoft account, either.
    Thus, you should be able to swap drives without activation issues.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, May 22, 2023
  4. FinZak Win User

How do I activate a Windows Product Key on a newly replaced NVME drive after the old one...

Product key association disable on old pc

Hey,

I sold my old pc to a friend. He installed some missing parts (HDD, GPU and RAM). Then we installed Windows 10 Home 64-bit version from USB stick. I was surprised to see that windows was automatically activated after that. I did some digging and found out that it is using my product key, which i use now in my own new pc. My friend does not have his own product key, the idea was that he just uses the unactivated windows with limited features.

I uninstalled my Windows 10 product key via command prompt in friends computer (as i understand this is only local solution, if he reinstall windows or clicks the active button, it reactivates automatically with my product key) and now it says windows is not activated, but my product key is still shown with Produkey app in his pc. So far windows is still activated my own pc.

My questions:

1. Is this all i need to do?
    2. How do i get rid of product key showing still with product key showing apps on my friend's computer?
    3. Is there a way to get rid of association of my product key on that old pc that i sold to friend?

EDIT: I originally installed windows 10 via upgrade option from Windows 7, if that matters.

FinZak, May 22, 2023
Thema:

How do I activate a Windows Product Key on a newly replaced NVME drive after the old one...

1. How do I activate a Windows Product Key on a newly replaced NVME drive after the old one... - Similar Threads - activate Product Key

2. How do I activate a Windows Product Key on a newly replaced NVME drive after the old one...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I activate a Windows Product Key on a newly replaced NVME drive after the old one...: I recently replaced my Samsung NVME drive with Windows 10 Home installed on it in my personal computer with a new Western Digital NVME drive. The old drive was corrupted and unsafe to clone. I have already removed it and installed the new drive. I booted the new drive using...
  3. How do I activate a Windows Product Key on a newly replaced NVME drive after the old one...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I activate a Windows Product Key on a newly replaced NVME drive after the old one...: I recently replaced my Samsung NVME drive with Windows 10 Home installed on it in my personal computer with a new Western Digital NVME drive. The old drive was corrupted and unsafe to clone. I have already removed it and installed the new drive. I booted the new drive using...
  4. Windows product key after activation

Windows product key after activation: Hey,So I just installed windows 11 on a new device. On an old laptop I found a retail key so I got the code by typing "wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey" in the command prompt.I then proceeded to activate windows on the new device.Now, after the...
  5. Windows Activation/Product Key error after replacing Motherboard and CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Activation/Product Key error after replacing Motherboard and CPU: I've tried to include screenshots but the upload keeps failingI'm having pretty much the same problem as the person who posted this...
  6. Windows Activation/Product Key error after replacing Motherboard and CPU

Windows Activation/Product Key error after replacing Motherboard and CPU: I've tried to include screenshots but the upload keeps failingI'm having pretty much the same problem as the person who posted this...
  7. How long do I have to Activate a Windows product Key

How long do I have to Activate a Windows product Key: I am going to build a computer around late December. I want to buy a product key but I fear if I buy it now the product key will expire by the time my pc is finished. Do these product keys have an expiration time limit or until it's used? Should I wait till my PC is finished...
  8. How Do I Activate My Windows Without A Product Key?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How Do I Activate My Windows Without A Product Key?: Good afternoon family. I am new here and I need some help. I got a PC from a friend and had windows 10 installed on my PC at some PC repair shop. I wish to activate it but it is asking for me to either purchase another windows 10 or use the product key; both of which am...
  9. How do I replace a product key for the same product ordered?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I replace a product key for the same product ordered?: I bought Microsoft for Windows 10 for my daughter.via a third party (enaba.com). I entered the product key when requested...only afterwards realised that she was signed in her Windows Store login so wouldn't match up with the product key in my account. I think this is the...
  10. Replacing old HD with SSD - product key question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replacing old HD with SSD - product key question: The hard drive in my laptop is dying. I am upgrading to an SSD this weekend. I have a couple of hopefully quick questions. My laptop originally came with Windows 8.1. As soon as I was able to I did the free upgrade to Windows 10. I really do not want to purchase a copy of...