Windows 10: How Do I Activate The Confirmation Dialog For Read-Only Files?

Discus and support How Do I Activate The Confirmation Dialog For Read-Only Files? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, in Windows XP there used to be a confirmation dialog that pops up whenever you try to rename a Read-Only file or folder. Whatever happened... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pepanee, Oct 26, 2016.

1. pepanee Win User

How Do I Activate The Confirmation Dialog For Read-Only Files?

Hello, in Windows XP there used to be a confirmation dialog that pops up whenever you try to rename a Read-Only file or folder.

Whatever happened to this dialog box? It was very useful and should've stayed on by default as Windows developed more. If I don't want that dialog box to show up, I would just uncheck the attribute for Read-Only. Isn't that one of the main points of a Read-Only file? If you decide to rename/delete it, then Windows would remind you that you set this file to be a Read-Only file? Getting rid of that dialog box is practically a whole contradiction in action. How can I re-enable this dialog box?

(I didn't like how if I press the Delete button on a file it would automatically go to the Recycle Bin with no confirmation dialog.. what if I pressed Delete by accident?.. Even worse, pressed Delete on a folder with many files that the Recycle Bin cannot store!! So I re-enabled that dialog box asking for confirmation of a delete)

:)

pepanee, Oct 26, 2016
  2. Arun B J Win User

How do I fix the read only attribute

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern regarding the issue that you are facing.

You may follow the steps provided below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1: Folder permission

• In File Explorer, right click on the documents folder.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click the Security tab.
    • Click on Edit to change the permissions.
    • Click the box to allow Home Users full control.
    • Click OK and make sure the change is applied to all subfolders and files.

That should fix the problem if not try 2 method

Method 2: Try taking ownership of the folder (and by "the" folder, I mean any one having an issue). If they are all in one folder, use that one. If it's all of them, start with
    C:\Users\(your username) and work from there.

To take ownership:

• Right-click the folder and go to Properties
    • In Properties, go to Security (tab) > Advanced (button at the bottom) > Owner (tab)
    • In the Owner tab, the current owner will be listed. Yours will likely say it's unknown but regardless, if it doesn't say your current username (and if the username is the same, just do it anyway), click Edit (button).
    • Under "Change owner to:" select your current account, check the box next to "Replace owner on sub containers and objects" and click OK. Depending on all that's under the folder, this may take a long time.
    After you are the current owner, you should be able to change permissions as you need.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you

Arun B J, Oct 26, 2016
  3. wuuzle Win User
    How do I fix the read only attribute

Read only attribute for all and I mean ALL of my documents. Windows 10

and then when it tries to save it, It tells me I don't have permission to save to this folder

what the heck guys?

only one account on the machine...

wuuzle, Oct 26, 2016
Thema:

How Do I Activate The Confirmation Dialog For Read-Only Files?

1. How Do I Activate The Confirmation Dialog For Read-Only Files? - Similar Threads - Activate Confirmation Dialog

2. Files are read only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files are read only: All of my files are read only, including files on a data server. How do I change that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-are-read-only/5a92e5a7-83d9-485b-8280-145b318ca06b
  3. Files are read only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files are read only: All of my files are read only, including files on a data server. How do I change that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-are-read-only/5a92e5a7-83d9-485b-8280-145b318ca06b
  4. Display delete confirmation dialog

Display delete confirmation dialog: I have followed the instructions and the box is checked, apply clicked but I still do not get the option to confirm before pictures, etc. are deleted in Windows 10. It has been checked for a long time but now it doesn't work. Is there a fix for this? Thank you, Suzanne :...
  5. how to delete read only files

how to delete read only files: i want to delete something from a game folder and it's read only,when i try to change it i get a message that says error access denied. i have administrator and all permissions on...
  6. How do I make Metadata read-only?

How do I make Metadata read-only?: After reading about how the creation and modification dates on files can be changed by something as insignificant as a copy operation (a rather major flaw which seems like not only horrible but easily fixable programming to me, especially considering Mac doesn't seem to have...
  7. read only files

read only files: read only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-files/e2f111ee-e6c7-426f-88d2-6421bfd62668"
  8. file read only

file read only: Hello, A folder is suddenly read only. I have tried changing it both as a user and administrator to no avail. Is there a procedure to correct this other than change the folder name? Thanks...
  9. Recycle confirmation or Display delete confirmation dialog

Recycle confirmation or Display delete confirmation dialog: The function is enabled but if I delete a file in file explorer, I don't get asked to confirm. It deletes straight away. Can anyone help please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle-confirmation-or-display-delete/a577009e-cb85-44d2-930c-880c46866f28"
  10. Is There A "Read-Only" Confirmation Dialog Box App?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is There A "Read-Only" Confirmation Dialog Box App?: Hello, Remember back in the older versions of Windows when if you set the Attribute of a file/folder as a Read-Only, then you would get a confirmation dialog show up any time you: • Attempt to Rename the file/folder, • Delete the file/folder, or • Move the file/folder...