Windows 10: How do I add a second winpe boot entry to a UEFI usb drive

Discus and support How do I add a second winpe boot entry to a UEFI usb drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; As you may well know, you can now access multiple partitions on a standard removeable flash drive with version 1703. So I decided to try and create... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cereberus, May 6, 2017.

1. cereberus Win User

How do I add a second winpe boot entry to a UEFI usb drive

As you may well know, you can now access multiple partitions on a standard removeable flash drive with version 1703.

So I decided to try and create a UEFI based usb flash drive with multiple winpe partitions.

I successfully managed to create an EFI partition and a Winpe partition with Windows 10 15063 installation files - details below. This was a challenge as original source was for hard disks and some of the diskpart commands do not work for removeable drives and there were mistakes in original text.

I tested the commands I modified below and it booted perfectly.

Then, I added a second winpe partition but the bit I cannot work out is how to add a boot entry for the second winpe partition. I tried the command file in @Khyi's tutorial but it added the boot entry to the C drive EFI partition, not the one on the usb drive.

I (rather blindly) tried to repeat some of the bcdedit commands from below but that did not work (due to my lack of knowledge).

So does anybody have any idea how I could add a second boot entry?

cheers

C.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is a modified version of guide in Walkthrough: Boot Windows PE from a UEFI-based Hard Disk starting from step 2.Step 1: Prepare USBInsert usb flash drive whilst running Windows 10 version 1703 and open an admin command prompt and runWarning: contents of flash drive are removed.diskpartlist diskselect disk n (n=usb drive number - be careful you select right drive)cleanconvert GPTrem === 1. Create the EFI system partition ===create partition EFI size=200create partition primary size=5000 (adjust as approprite)Install minitool partition wizard free if not already installed. You need this as as you cannot assign drive letters for removeable drives in disk part but you can with MPW.Using MPW, format EFI partition as FAT32 and give it a drive letter SFormat Windows Partition as FAT32 and give it a drive letter TNote I use drive S for EFI and T for Windows partition - change as appropriateStep 2: Mount Windows PE Iso as a drive in Windows e.g. a Windows 10 15063 installation iso downloaded using Media Creation ToolThis guide assumes the iso is mounted as drive D - change as appropriate Step 3: Copy Windows PE files to the hard diskIn this step, you copy Windows PE resource files to the hard drive from your bootable media. This example assumes the hard drive is blank.At a command prompt, copy the \EFI folder from your bootable media to the EFI folder of the EFI system partition on your hard drive, as in the following example:xcopy d:\EFI\* s:\EFI\* /cherkyfswhere d is the letter of your bootable Windows PE media that contains a Windows PE image.Copy the \Sources folder from your bootable media to the sources folder of the Windows PE partition on your hard drive, as in the following example:xcopy d:\sources\* t:\sources\* /cherkyfsCopy the \Boot\boot.sdi file from your bootable media to the \Sources folder of the Windows PE partition on your hard drive, as in the following example:copy d:\boot\boot.sdi t:\sources\Copy all of the files with an .efi extension from iso to the \EFI\Microsoft\Boot folder. If any ask for permission to overwrite, just select no.copy d:\efi\microsoft\boot*.efi s:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\*copy d:\efi\boot*.efi s:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\* copy d:\*.efi s:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\*Delete the boot configuration data (BCD) file that you copied from your bootable media. Note that you will create a new one in the next step, as in the following example,del s:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD /fStep 4: Configure the System StoreIn this step, you will create and configure a new system store by using the BCDEdit tool. The system store is a file named BCD that holds information required to load Windows or other boot applications. BCD replaces Boot.ini.BCDEdit is a command-line tool that is designed to manage system stores/Create a new system store, as in the following example:bcdedit -createstore S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCDCreate new entries in the system store for bootmgr, globalsettings, dbgsettings, ramdiskoptions, and Windows PE.bcdedit -store S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD -create {bootmgr} /d "Boot Manager"bcdedit -store S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD -create {globalsettings} /d "globalsettings"bcdedit -store S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD -create {dbgsettings} /d "debugsettings"bcdedit -store S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD -create {ramdiskoptions} /d "ramdiskoptions"bcdedit -store S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD -create /d "Windows PE" -application osloaderYou can put all above in a batch file if you like. Note: The last command returns a GUID value for Windows PE store. Cut and paste to a text file.Set the default entry that the boot manager selects when the timeout expires. Substitute <GUID> with the GUID value for the Windows PE store in the following example:bcdedit -store S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD /default <GUID from Windows PE store>Do not put above in a batch file as you need to use GUID from above.Run the following commands to configure bootmgr:You can put all of following in a second batch file if you like.bcdedit -store S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD -set {bootmgr} device partition=s:bcdedit -store S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD -set {bootmgr} path \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgr.efibcdedit -store S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD -set {bootmgr} locale en-usbcdedit -store S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD -set {bootmgr} timeout 10Run the following commands to configure the boot loader:bcdedit -store S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD -set {Default} device ramdisk=[t:]\sources\boot.wim,{ramdiskoptions}bcdedit -store S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD -set {Default} path \windows\system32\winload.efibcdedit -store S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD -set {Default} osdevice ramdisk=[t:]\sources\boot.wim,{ramdiskoptions} bcdedit -store S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD -set {Default} systemroot \windowsbcdedit -store S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD -set {Default} winpe yesbcdedit -store S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD -set {Default} nx optinbcdedit -store S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD -set {Default} detecthal yesbcdedit -store S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD -displayorder {Default} -addfirstRun the following commands to configure dbgsettings:bcdedit -store S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD -set {dbgsettings} debugtype Serialbcdedit -store S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD -set {dbgsettings} debugport 1bcdedit -store S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD -set {dbgsettings} baudrate 115200Run the following commands to configure ramdiskoptions:bcdedit -store S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD -set {ramdiskoptions} ramdisksdidevice partition=t: bcdedit -store S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD -set {ramdiskoptions} ramdisksdipath \sources\boot.sdiNow check drive boots ok with initial winpe drive added. Set bios to boot from usb drive mode and ensure pc is in UEFI mode.

:)

cereberus, May 6, 2017

2. Force load MS Generic SD Card Reader Drivers in WinPE

Hi, hoping someone can help.

I boot into WinPE from a USB Flash drive (the device is installed with Windows 10 Pro) with no issues, however I need to access an SD Card while in the WinPE Environment for various reasons. WinPE does not load the required driver to access the SD Card,
    now I know that by using DRVLOAD.exe I can 'force' load drivers, but, the driver I require is a standard MS Generic one.

According to Device Manager (when booted into Windows 10) the driver required is disk.sys .. loaded from disk.inf found in System32\DriverStore\FileRepository in the folder disk.inf_amd64_879a35d65b2a8a7d .. I have copied this folder onto my USB WinPE boot
    drive, booted into WinPE and executed the command DRVLOAD.EXE XX\DRIVERS\SD\DISK.INF (where xx is the drive letter of the USB flash drive) and I get the message that the driver has been successfully loaded ... but .. I still cannot access the SD Card, the
    card does not even show up in DISKPART.

Am I missing something obvious here?

I have two other devices, one that requires the Realtek SD Card driver to be loaded via DRVLOAD.exe, and another that does not use UEFI booting and uses the MS generic drivers that load upon boot .. both recognize and allow access to the SD Card when running
    in WinPE.

Is it something to do with the UEFI secure boot (even though one of other devices is UEFI and I can still force load the Realtek SD driver and gain access to the card)

Really frustrating me so any assistance would be really appreciated.

ColinJMarschall, May 6, 2017
  3. Windows 10 0xc0000098 error

Maybe your boot order has changed in the BIOS/UEFI of your laptop after an update or else. It might be trying to boot on another drive like a thumb stick (even if there is none plugged in, sometimes in BIOS you could see a default entry for UEFI USB drive).
    Check in your BIOS if it still sees your boot drive as the first entry in your boot sequence. (See your laptop manual to learn how to enter your laptop BIOS/UEFI, and how to check and change your boot sequence).

If you wanna boot from a BOOTABLE dvd you need to change that boot sequence in the BIOS.

warhammer37m, May 6, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Dang it, now you have challenged me... I think I am going to work with EasyBCD, though....

NavyLCDR, May 7, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    I think I know how to do it now after much web searching. Easybcd looks like a way to do it. The trick I think I was missing is you open file menu and select bcd on usb drive.

I also came across some bcdedit solutions which were less complicated. So a couple of things to try today - I will report back.

I do know an easy way to do it by installing full windows using to wintousb, booting to that Windows, creating winpe partitions and making boot entries using Kyhi's cmd file (post #845 in his tutorial).

Then you can delete window volume and boot entry.

I just wanted to see if it was possible without installing full windows first as this means you need a 32GB usb drive realistically (16 GB might be ok).

cereberus, May 7, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    Well I solved the problem after many hours of faffing around. The answer was so simple.

All I had to do was modify Kyhi's uefi winpse.cmd in his sticky thread (post #845) by adding "-store s:\efi\microsoft\boot\bcd" after each bcdedit command.

So I booted and got a menu with two installs so I decided to try it creating a dual boot option.

All started fine, then during the install got an error about the EFI being NTFS.

I looked at the disk partitions for my ssd and bizarrely it had added a second EFI partition and that was FAT32.

So booting in UEFI mode has obviously confused the installer somehow.

I do not think there is anyway round that.

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I add a second winpe boot entry to a UEFI usb drive - Similar Threads - add second winpe

2. UEFI boot entry in BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UEFI boot entry in BIOS: Dell Inspiron 15 3515 Windows 10.In my Inspiron I have two internal SSDs, one came as standard and is 125 GB and I added my own 500 GB SSD. I cloned the smaller SSD to the larger one and by using BCDBOOT was able to chose which to boot from at startup. Both boot up just fine....
  3. UEFI boot entry in BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UEFI boot entry in BIOS: Dell Inspiron 15 3515 Windows 10.In my Inspiron I have two internal SSDs, one came as standard and is 125 GB and I added my own 500 GB SSD. I cloned the smaller SSD to the larger one and by using BCDBOOT was able to chose which to boot from at startup. Both boot up just fine....
  4. UEFI boot entry in BIOS

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Problem to add WinPE in UEFI Flash drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem to add WinPE in UEFI Flash drive: I've made windows 10 bootable flash drive (Legacy) and added WinPE with EasyBCD to it. It's working fine. Now I've made UEFI bootable flash drive, working fine. Same way I've added WinPE with EasyBCD. But it's not working. after Loading files.... my WinPE is not booting. How...
  6. How do i add a boot entry for a partition

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do i add a boot entry for a partition: Hello, as the title says, how can i add a boot entry for a specific partition. I have tried EasyBCD, but my system ssd is in UEFI. Is there a workaround to this issue? Thanks in advance,...
  7. Add UEFI entries to boot menu

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Add UEFI entries to boot menu: I was wondering if there is any way to add a UEFI option to the bootmgr menu. I am trying to add GRUB to the boot menu; however, since Windows doesn't load anything but Windows in secure boot mode, I can't just load the GRUB file, hence the need to add the UEFI entry. My...
  8. How to add WINPE boot entry to UEFI USB Windows installation stick?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to add WINPE boot entry to UEFI USB Windows installation stick?: Howdy all. I have several usb sticks I have made with grub4dos that fills my use, but I miss UEFI options. After what I understand UEFI boot installation stick only boots windows images. I can successfully rename source folders from installation file s to source folder with...
  9. How to add WINPE boot entry to UEFI USB Windows installation stick?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to add WINPE boot entry to UEFI USB Windows installation stick?: Howdy all. I have several usb sticks I have made with grub4dos that fills my use, but I miss UEFI options. After what I understand UEFI boot installation stick only boots windows images. I can successfully rename source folders from installation file s to source folder with...
  10. Add USB UEFI HDD as second bootable drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Add USB UEFI HDD as second bootable drive?: Not sure if this is the correct forum, but here goes. My MOBO died in the small computer I use to control my Ham Radio Gear. I went out and got a cheap replacement (HP Pavilion 570-p017c) which came with Win10 Home and a 1 TB HDD formatted in GPT (only 2 SATA ports..other is...