Windows 10: How do I add extensions to a batch of files

Discus and support How do I add extensions to a batch of files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Back when I used WordPerfect, which could ignore file extensions, I gave all my poems the extension .POM. Word can read these files, but only if I add... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Newmaven, May 11, 2021.

1. Newmaven Win User

How do I add extensions to a batch of files

Back when I used WordPerfect, which could ignore file extensions, I gave all my poems the extension .POM. Word can read these files, but only if I add the extension .DOC. I have more than a hundred .POM files--how do I batch-add the .DOC extension to make them all read .POM.DOC? Or, failing that, just change all the POM extensions to DOC? (But I'd rather do it the first way, so I can tell they're poems at a glance.) Running Win 10 20H2

:)

Newmaven, May 11, 2021

2. I have mutiple files with extensions -Layout1. Does anyone know how to batch remove the extension? Thanks.

Here you go:

1. Open Windows Explorer.
    2. Navigate to the folder to be treated.
    3. Press Ctrl+L
    4. Type this command:

cmd /c ren *.Layout1 *.

Frederik Long, May 11, 2021
  3. oily_17 Win User
    Batch Files Knowledge Base

Don't use batch files very much but one I find useful is for creating a list of files in a directory.
    Just copy the text below into Notepad and save as Filelist.bat

dir /a /-p /o:gen >filelist.txt

When you run it from a folder it will create a Filelist.txt file,in the same folder, that lists all the files in that folder.Useful when you are too lazy to type all the files out yourself.

oily_17, May 11, 2021
  4. How do I add extensions to a batch of files

Batch Files Knowledge Base

Very nice and usefull thanks for contributing.

AphexDreamer, May 11, 2021
Thema:

How do I add extensions to a batch of files

1. How do I add extensions to a batch of files - Similar Threads - add extensions batch

2. How do I add an extension to all the files in a directory.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I add an extension to all the files in a directory.: I found several places where the following is recommended:ren * *.pngBut that gets me the following error:ren : Cannot process argument because the value of argument "path" is not valid. Change the value of the "path" argument and run the operation again. At line:1 char:1 +...
  3. How do I add an extension to all the files in a directory.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I add an extension to all the files in a directory.: I found several places where the following is recommended:ren * *.pngBut that gets me the following error:ren : Cannot process argument because the value of argument "path" is not valid. Change the value of the "path" argument and run the operation again. At line:1 char:1 +...
  4. batch renaming file extensions .WAV to .wav

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    batch renaming file extensions .WAV to .wav: Hi folks,my audio devices produce thousands of .WAV files. To analyze them I use a R-package, but the scripts are using ".wav" , so the commands do not work with my files. I tried to rename them with a couple of files in a test folder on the C: drive withren *.WAV *.wavThis...
  5. batch renaming file extensions .WAV to .wav

in Windows 10 Gaming
    batch renaming file extensions .WAV to .wav: Hi folks,my audio devices produce thousands of .WAV files. To analyze them I use a R-package, but the scripts are using ".wav" , so the commands do not work with my files. I tried to rename them with a couple of files in a test folder on the C: drive withren *.WAV *.wavThis...
  6. batch renaming file extensions .WAV to .wav

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How do I add file extensions to multiple files using powershell?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I add file extensions to multiple files using powershell?: Bunch of files with no extensions, all in one folder. Want to make them all png submitted by /u/granitefloors [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l6wo2q/how_do_i_add_file_extensions_to_multiple_files/
  8. how to add powershell batch file shortcut to taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    how to add powershell batch file shortcut to taskbar: Hi I have several batch files which I've created shortcuts for, and added to my windows taskbar. I now have a new batch file which contains some powershell which instructs pc to switch off screen. Please can anyone advise why Windows won't let me place this shortcut on the...
  9. how to add powershell batch file shortcut to taskbar

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    how to add powershell batch file shortcut to taskbar: Hi I have several batch files which I've created shortcuts for, and added to my windows taskbar. I now have a new batch file which contains some powershell which instructs pc to switch off screen. Please can anyone advise why Windows won't let me place this shortcut on the...
  10. Renaming Multiple File Extensions With a Batch File

in Windows 10 Customization
    Renaming Multiple File Extensions With a Batch File: Hello, Pretty self explanatory question, but not turning up the results I need. If I use a command line window to change a bunch of file types, I can do the following: CD LocalDirectory\Is\Located\Here REN *.jpg *.tif This changes every file that has a JPG extension to...