Windows 10: How do I add headphones to the playback section?

Discus and support How do I add headphones to the playback section? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So awhile I back I mistakenly damaged the audio and couldn't hear sound (red x symbol ), but recently I had got some new headphones and plugged it in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MWright85, Jan 14, 2021.

1. MWright85 Win User

How do I add headphones to the playback section?

So awhile I back I mistakenly damaged the audio and couldn't hear sound (red x symbol ), but recently I had got some new headphones and plugged it in and I can hear sound fine (of course the red x wasn't there for some reason ).
    So the main sound was disabled ( no red x there ), but yet when I plugged in headphones I was able to hear sound.

Okay so here's the main issue:

The internet was going slow, so I restarted it and now the red x is back and not only that, but now no sound s playing when the headphones are plugged. So now I want to set the default audio output to headphones.

I want to change the default sound to headphones. The red x is where the sound is. Yes, I did go to Control Panel, and etc and I end up in the Sound/Playback section. Right clicked and selected "show disconnected devices" And it says that "no audio devices are installed under the playback section.

Step by step, how do I add the headphone symbol to the playback section so that I can set it to be the default audio output? And for the record since if I were to set headphones to default audio output, will it play sound as long as headphones are plugged in? And yes I do have headphones plugged in at the moment.

I'm just really confused right now. hopefully I'll check back in soon.

:)

MWright85, Jan 14, 2021
  2. Arul_D Win User

Computer Won't Auto Change the Playback Device When Headphones Plugged In/Out

Hi Michael,

I understand your concern and will be happy to assist you.

Is the issue specific to only Headphones/ Does External Speaker play when plugged in?

I suggest you to try resetting the default device as shown in the steps given below and check if the issue persists.

• Plug in the Headphones in the machine.

• Go to Start and Control Panel.

• Select 'Hardware and Sound'.

• Click 'Change system sounds'.

• Click 'Playback' tab. (It should then show you your headphones in the list).

• Select your proper Headphone device from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.

• Now unplug your Headphones and select speakers from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.
    Hope it helps. Please reply for further queries on this.

Arul_D, Jan 14, 2021
  3. Headphones disappear from Playback

I have a strange problem here. For several different audio devices, the "Headphones" option is disappearing from my Playback list. I can connect to the Headsets for my various bluetooth over-ear headphones,earbuds, etc, but not the Headphones; these don't
    even appear. How can I get my "Headphones" back?

Please do not suggest running a Troubleshooter; I've already done this, and it inevitably asks which device I want to troubleshoot. The Headphones don't show up on the list of devices, so this is of no help.

I can also pretty much guarantee this isn't an issue with the drivers particular to the earbuds or other devices, as I've made sure those are up to date, and the problem is occuring for more than one device.

Jack_Half_a_Prayer, Jan 14, 2021
  4. How do I add headphones to the playback section?

USB Headphones not working WINDOWS 10

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us updated.

This issue might resolve making the headphones as default device in Playback devices.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if the issue persists.

• Right click on the Speaker icon (Volume icon). Select
      Playback devices.
    • Select Headphones and click Set default.
    • Click apply and check if the issue resolves.
    Keep us posted if the headphone issue is resolved. We are glad to help you.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jan 14, 2021
Thema:

How do I add headphones to the playback section?

1. How do I add headphones to the playback section? - Similar Threads - add headphones playback

2. My headphones are not in the "select playback section" even though they are plugged in and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My headphones are not in the "select playback section" even though they are plugged in and...: I am reporting this problem because my computer, a windows 10 used to work completely fine but all of the sudden my headphones did not produce any sound at all. I do not know where this problem came from but I remember every time I had no sound I switched the playback device...
  3. My headphones are not in the "select playback section" even though they are plugged in and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My headphones are not in the "select playback section" even though they are plugged in and...: I am reporting this problem because my computer, a windows 10 used to work completely fine but all of the sudden my headphones did not produce any sound at all. I do not know where this problem came from but I remember every time I had no sound I switched the playback device...
  4. My headphones are not in the "select playback section" even though they are plugged in and...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. how can i add headphone

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how can i add headphone: how can I add headphones if the system does show headphones.. but I have jack for it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-add-headphone/56cd32d7-53f1-49d1-bca3-2102d7943e07
  6. How do you Add something to the start up section?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do you Add something to the start up section?: I use Yahoo also and I would like it to add it to my start up on my computer can this be done? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-add-something-to-the-start-up-section/2967bb96-c896-4d5c-ba17-45850fe14ba9
  7. How add headphones

How add headphones: Sound device only lists speakers. I need headphones. Just generic headphones. Troubleshooting & Help only discuss Surface. I don't have that - just generic headphones. HELP!!...
  8. how do i playback a dvd

how do i playback a dvd: how do I playback a dvd created by an app on my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-playback-a-dvd/d9a7455b-398b-4a00-a021-99db50420c81
  9. How to add a playback device

How to add a playback device: I am trying to use headphones, but my computer (Asus, Windows 10 pro) won't recognize them. I now need to add headphones as a playback device but there doesn't seem to be an option for that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated....
  10. Need help to re-add my Playback Device named "Headphones"

Need help to re-add my Playback Device named "Headphones": Someone please tell me how to add back my Playback device Bluetooth named "headphones" I just purchased a new Song Headphone MDR-ZX770BT and it is working fine via Bluetooth as I am now using them as , control panel, sound, playback, device, "headset" Today I made a...