Windows 10: How do I arrange songs on USB the order I want?

Discus and support How do I arrange songs on USB the order I want? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How do I arrange music on USB the order I want? They are coming alphabetically. I tried to drag and drop a song under the other but it doesn't work. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by WindowsLoooveer, Mar 26, 2016.

1. How do I arrange songs on USB the order I want?

How do I arrange music on USB the order I want? They are coming alphabetically. I tried to drag and drop a song under the other but it doesn't work. I want to sort out the songs in the order I want so they get played in the order I want. Any help please? THANKS!!

:)

WindowsLoooveer, Mar 26, 2016
  2. scoffie Win User

Songs in wrong order can they be re-arranged?

When I am transferring albums to my phone, I have this problem where songs sometimes transfer in a different order. I have tried re-copying but to no avail. Can songs be simply re-arranged?

scoffie, Mar 26, 2016
  3. How do i reverse the printing page order on my epson workforce pro wf-4740 printer

You have to enable Duplex Printing.

Type in Control Printers in Run Dialog box.

On the new Window, Right Click your Printer and choose Prefrences.

See for a duplex or a two-sided printing and turn on.

https://epson.com/Support/Printers/All-In-Ones/...

Sumit Dhiman2, Mar 26, 2016
  4. How do I arrange songs on USB the order I want?

How about using a number instead of A-Z
    I did it on mine ages ago and it worked

hTconeM9user, Mar 26, 2016
  5. Kyhi Win User
    add a number in front of song title

1-song a
    2-song a

or

song001
    song002
    song003

6. Fafhrd Win User
    Assuming you use FAT32 as the file system here's an old program: Anerty's Lair - DriveSort

Allows for manual playlists to be set up by drag and drop in playlist mode, as well as other custom sorts - sets up a custom index. Works on Windows 10 64bit, so should do on everything.

Fafhrd, Mar 26, 2016
  7. RolandJS Win User
    To add to the numbering idea - I used 00_name for the lead off text introduction, then each song, in the order I want was prefixed with 01_, 02_ 03_ and so on. I think adding 001, 002 to the suffix will not do what thread starter wants.

RolandJS, Mar 26, 2016
  8. AndreyT Win User

How do I arrange songs on USB the order I want?

You can't.

Precisely. See above.

Played by what? What are you using to play your songs? What program?

Once you figure it out, you will figure out the answer to your question. Every self-respecting player application will provide you with a way to create a playlist, rearrange your music and play it any order you want. That's where you rearrange your music - in your player's playist, not "on USB".

AndreyT, Mar 26, 2016
  9. Fafhrd Win User
    OP wants to arrange Music on USB in the order the OP wants, not in alphabetic name order.

A reasonable request, especially if the USB is used on several devices, being a highly portable storage medium.

It would make total sense to arrange it once on the USB storage device, and not to have to do it on every variety of device it may be played upon.

Fafhrd, Mar 26, 2016
  10. You create a playlist in the order you want.
    01 to whatever number of tracks
    Once done then transfer it to a USB Flash Drive
    Then you can play it on anything you want if you one with a blue tooth app you can even listen to it out or even in the car

hTconeM9user, Mar 26, 2016
  11. AndreyT Win User
    "The OP" might want to be crowned a King of Siam. A reasonable request too.

But the reality of life is that USB is just a storage device that stores files in some file system. In general, file systems do not support the concept of "order" or "arrangement" of files. (Or at least they don't expose this concept to the user.) Some file systems (like FAT and its derivatives) technically have this capability as an "undocumented feature", since their file tables are trivially linear.

But even this is most likely beside the point too, since even if you dig onto FAT file storage table and rearrange files there, it still does not guarantee that the music player used by the OP will actually honor that arrangement.

And most likely, music player will not honor that FAT arrangement, because the de-facto standard convention widespread among such devices (and programs) is that by default the music files have to be played in alphabetical order. The OP incorrectly assumed that this playback order was somehow encoded on their USB drive and that in order to change that order they have to "rearrange the USB drive". Unfortunately, this is a red herring with has nothing to do with the actual problem.

The best and/or easiest solution in this case will depend, again, on the device or software the OP is using to play the music. Without this bit of extra knowledge any discussion here is a crapshoot.

If the OP's player plays everything alphabetically by default - then renaming the files with numerical prefixes like '001, '002' etc. will work. If the OP's player honors track number entries in MP3 tags, then the ordering can be specified through MP3 tags. And so on and so forth. However, such solutions can work well only when all music flies belong to one music album. When the files are mixed, this solution is unacceptable, to say the least.

In the end, when you play music files from a source that does not support "ordering" (like a file system), the solution is: create a playlist, period. This is what playlists were invented for in the first place. And, I believe, there's some sort of standardization in that area.

AndreyT, Mar 26, 2016
  12. Rocky Win User
    I always do this by adding a three digit number in front of each song;

You get the idea. I've been doing this for years and it always works.

Rocky, Mar 26, 2016
  13. Fafhrd Win User

That's twaddle - should I have read on past that? But I did, and lo and behold! - I had already given a link to a general playlist generator in post #4 above all of 6 hours ago.

Fafhrd, Mar 26, 2016
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Try this piece of software (Free)

Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...)

Also handles FLAC etc.

Best piece of software for arranging all this stuff -- I know it's particularly annoying - especially in Audio Books when you get CHAP 01, then CHAP 10 then CHAP 02, CHAP 03 etc.

With a little re-ordering this software works perfectly. (I often use Audio Books in a Car - I'm not a big fan of a lot of modern Boring so called Dance Music - sounds a bit like Road drills to me !!).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 27, 2016
  15. That's great "if" the player your using actually reads and uses MP3 tags. My XBOX ONE's media player won't. *Mad So my MP3 files get played alphabetically. Don't get me wrong, MP3Tag is a great program, it's just not always the answer. It will let you rename your files and add the 01, 02, 03 etc and match them up to their track numbers though.

alphanumeric, Mar 27, 2016
Thema:

1. How do I arrange songs on USB the order I want? - Similar Threads - arrange songs USB

2. How do I change the order of photos that I want to print through the photos app?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the order of photos that I want to print through the photos app?: I am trying to print photos to a PDF file in a particular order and I am unable to do so. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-order-of-photos-that-i-want-to/c8e59a77-42d7-494f-95af-e2c2cc517090
  3. How do I change the order of photos that I want to print through the photos app?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change the order of photos that I want to print through the photos app?: I am trying to print photos to a PDF file in a particular order and I am unable to do so. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-order-of-photos-that-i-want-to/c8e59a77-42d7-494f-95af-e2c2cc517090
  4. How to re-arrange the order of files within a folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to re-arrange the order of files within a folder: I have a "Set List" folder with lyric files. I need to be able to arrange these files in any order I choose to match a set list. I see no way in Windows I can do this. This should be as simple as dragging a file to a different location within my lyrics folder. IS there any...
  5. How to re-arrange the order of files within a folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to re-arrange the order of files within a folder: I have a "Set List" folder with lyric files. I need to be able to arrange these files in any order I choose to match a set list. I see no way in Windows I can do this. This should be as simple as dragging a file to a different location within my lyrics folder. IS there any...
  6. How do I turn off auto arrange?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I turn off auto arrange?: How do I turn off auto Arrange in File Explorer? When I follow the instructions I have found in using search, I was told to Right click a blank area in the window and select “View” and turn off the Auto Arrange. But that option is not in the view menu.I’m using Windows 10 Pro...
  7. How do I arrange my photos in their correct order?

How do I arrange my photos in their correct order?: For context, I do know that you can select the button and it automatically organises photos by their time stamp. However, this has been an issue that I've had for a while. For some reason, one day, all of my photos from a certain time period let's say from April 2020 to...
  8. Arranging files in order in a Folder

Arranging files in order in a Folder: Hello, On WIndows 10 I am trying to send a manuscript to a publisher. I have a folder already on the desktop and my word documents 30 of them that must be shown in the correct order that I have copied them into the Folder. I tried this yesterday but on the 4th attempt of...
  9. How do you arrange firefox folders in abc order?

in Browsers and Email
    How do you arrange firefox folders in abc order?: [img] As can be seen from my snip, my folders are not in alphabetical order. Is there a way to do this? I can arrange the files in the folders that way, but they don't stay...next time I go back they're in random order again. On my Vista desktop, I can arrange both folders...
  10. set items in order i want

in Windows 10 Support
    set items in order i want: In the documents folder I have a folder called my tournament games In that folder I have my chess tournament games I cannot find how to manually set the order myself I want to put them in order by dragging and dropping or whatever way is available, so far I have not been...