Windows 10: How do I assign a key to do an action?

Discus and support How do I assign a key to do an action? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I own a Dell Latitude E6530 running Windows 10. Pre-installed with the system came Dell's own software for configuring track pad, keyboard, battery... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Blatherwick, Oct 28, 2016.

1. How do I assign a key to do an action?

I own a Dell Latitude E6530 running Windows 10. Pre-installed with the system came Dell's own software for configuring track pad, keyboard, battery etc. In their mouse pad program, you can assign the middle key above the track pad to open a file or program. Obviously, I have assigned it to Netflix. This computers keyboard has a num pad to the right, and I would like to know how to set a program/file to open when I press the key, preferably using one of Dell's own software.

Thanks, .

PS. I am a new user, how do I change my profile picture?

:)

Blatherwick, Oct 28, 2016
  2. how to do Win User

HELP!! - Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I'm now running Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 & I have the same continuous problem with the update

• Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I tried your Method 1 to fix it which said changes have been made to my computer & to try & update again which failed.. again & the same message above came up again. My laptop is secure as I run Norton 360, so what should I do next to try & fix this problem?
    My laptop is a Toshiba satellite L650.

Thank you

David

how to do, Oct 28, 2016
  3. SBK_USA Win User
    How can I assign a category to a contact like I do in Outlook?

This allows me to visually search a subset of my contact list if I can't remember the name. For example I have a category for Home Maintenance which I can search if I need to find the contact info for a repair service or person that I used in the past
    and can't remember their name.

I tried using groups, but there is a limit to the number of contacts that can be assigned to one group,

SBK_USA, Oct 28, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

How do I assign a key to do an action?

Hi, one way to set a hotkey to launch a program is to assign one to its shortcut- this has been so for many years in Windows.

E.g. Open the Win 10 start menu, navigate to a shortcut, click more, click Open file location, Right click the appropriate shortcut, click Properties.

Then click on the Shortcut key field, and press your hotkey combination e.g. CTRL + ALT + J - or whatever you like.
    You should see that appear in the field. Click OK and try it.

Picture:
    Windows 10 Tutorial Index - Windows 10 Forums
    and scroll down to Account picture.

Please feel free to browse and search the extensive tutorial section.

dalchina, Oct 28, 2016
  5. Thank you very much!

Blatherwick, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How do I assign a key to do an action?

1. How do I assign a key to do an action? - Similar Threads - assign key action

2. How do I know the pen assigned to my device ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I know the pen assigned to my device ?: I don't know how to find the right stylus for my device , acer aspire 3 A315-57g https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-know-the-pen-assigned-to-my-device/c75a4ca8-9c7c-4a19-ae16-b9d1528b6719
  3. How do I assign a program to a file extension?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    How do I assign a program to a file extension?: Greetings,I would like to change the program that opens for the *.webp picture file format. I click Settings > Apps > Default Apps > Choose default apps by file type.This brings up a list of all file extensions. I go down to the .webp extension and click on the program that...
  4. How do I assign a program to a file extension?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I assign a program to a file extension?: Greetings,I would like to change the program that opens for the *.webp picture file format. I click Settings > Apps > Default Apps > Choose default apps by file type.This brings up a list of all file extensions. I go down to the .webp extension and click on the program that...
  5. How do I assign a program to a file extension?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Keyboard Keys mismatched/Doing un-assigned macros.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard Keys mismatched/Doing un-assigned macros.: I was lately having problems relating my Lenovo L430 keyboard, whenever I'd press the S key it would mute/unmute. Whenever I'd press the CapsLock key it would decrease volume, and whenever I'd press the W key it would increase volume... I was wondering if someone has this...
  7. How do I Assign an application a Default Monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I Assign an application a Default Monitor: Hello gang! I run windows10 with 4 monitors and multiple complex applications. If I power down the monitors the HDMI monitors my applications move all over the place to other monitors! I am looking for a simple way to preassign an application position and monitor so...
  8. How do I remove a permanently-assigned drive letter?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I remove a permanently-assigned drive letter?: I assigned a permanent drive letter K: to a USB drive that I use for backups (the drive letter is hard-coded in the backup script). I bought a new larger-capacity USB drive to replace it. So I need to un-assign K: to the old drive and re-assign to the new drive. I want to be...
  9. How do I remove a permanently-assigned drive letter?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I remove a permanently-assigned drive letter?: I assigned a permanent drive letter K: to a USB drive that I use for backups (the drive letter is hard-coded in the backup script). I bought a new larger-capacity USB drive to replace it. So I need to un-assign K: to the old drive and re-assign to the new drive. I want to be...
  10. How do I disable Action Center?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I disable Action Center?: I had to reinstall windows 10 on my laptop yesterday and now the action center keeps popping up even when there are no new notifications. I just click somewhere on the desktop and the action center pops out! Is there any way to disable it*Think And I used to just double tap...