Windows 10: How do I associate .dbf files with Microsoft Excel?

Discus and support How do I associate .dbf files with Microsoft Excel? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; None of the methods previously posted in Microsoft support work.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by KevinMiller, Sep 9, 2020.

1. How do I associate .dbf files with Microsoft Excel?

None of the methods previously posted in Microsoft support work.

:)

KevinMiller, Sep 9, 2020
  2. dino2019 Win User

MicroSoft Excell 2013

The file association is what started working. Meaning, just double clicking the .dbf file would open it in excell.

I've clicked browse, and navigated to the folder where excell is, upon selecting it and hitting ok, it just takes me back to that dialog, where excell still isn't listed.

I also tried the file association within Windows, and .dbf isn't listed as an extension in the list.

dino2019, Sep 9, 2020
  3. LemP Win User
    MicroSoft Excell 2013

I'm not quite sure what's going on with your system, and rather than try to direct you to modify the registry manually, I suggest the following.

1. Download FileTypesMan from
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html
    The download link is towards the bottom of the screen, just above the list of languages. Download the version (32-bit or 64-bit) appropriate for your system. This small utility doesn't get "installed."
    You just run the *.exe file.

2. Extract the files from the downloaded *.zip file (right-click > Extract all).

3. Navigate to the folder where the extracted files are located and run (double-click) FileTypesMan.exe.

4. First, see if a .dbf extension exists. Use Edit > Find, CTRL+F, or click the icon in the toolbar with the magnifying glass.

5. Assuming that no .dbf extension exists, click Edit > New File Extension. In the "Edit File Type" dialog that opens, just type .dbf in the "Extension" box and click OK

6. Open Excel

7. With the new .dbf extension selected in FileTypesMan, click Actions > New Action. Type Open in both the "Action Name" and "Menu Caption" boxes. Click "Select From Running Programs" and scroll down until you find Excel (probably at the bottom). Select
    it and click OK.

8. Click Start, then click Default Programs. Click "Associate a file type or protocol with a program." The .dbf extension should now be here. Although it already says that it's associated with Excel, click the "Change program" button, select Excel (which
    will probably be the only thing listed) and click OK. This will set the icon for your *.dbf files to show as Excel.

LemP, Sep 9, 2020
  4. dino2019 Win User

How do I associate .dbf files with Microsoft Excel?

MicroSoft Excell 2013

I am unable to associate .dbf files with Excell. Excell will open the file perfectly fine, if its open directly from the Excell open file menu.

The "open with" dialog also doesn't appear. When I manually go in and select to open with excell. Excell just doesn't appear in the list at all.

A couple of days ago, it just started working again. Unfortunately it's now back to not working...

dino2019, Sep 9, 2020
Thema:

How do I associate .dbf files with Microsoft Excel?

1. How do I associate .dbf files with Microsoft Excel? - Similar Threads - associate dbf files

2. How do I associate file explorer and .rar files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I associate file explorer and .rar files?: I accidentally associated .rar files with media player. I'm trying to switch it back to file explorer but I ca't find it. It was working fine before. I never installed any software for .rar after I bought the system. Ideas? I can't even find File Explorer app in the selection...
  3. How do I associate file explorer and .rar files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I associate file explorer and .rar files?: I accidentally associated .rar files with media player. I'm trying to switch it back to file explorer but I ca't find it. It was working fine before. I never installed any software for .rar after I bought the system. Ideas? I can't even find File Explorer app in the selection...
  4. How do I associate file explorer and .rar files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. how do I copy an excel file to another file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I copy an excel file to another file?: I do not know where to start. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-copy-an-excel-file-to-another-file/0663cccb-abac-4f32-b881-2b6c1b68dbb0
  6. how do I copy an excel file to another file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do I copy an excel file to another file?: I do not know where to start. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-copy-an-excel-file-to-another-file/0663cccb-abac-4f32-b881-2b6c1b68dbb0
  7. How do i remove default file associations

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do i remove default file associations: I accidentally changed what .jar files open with, so they only opened with notepad. Whenever I downloaded them they appeared as notepad files, making them unusable for me since I use them to mod games in my spare time :...
  8. How do I reset the setup.inx file association?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I reset the setup.inx file association?: This problem of changing default file associations has happened to me twice with Windows7 and now twice with Windows10. In two cases, a newly downloaded program hijacked the file association causing issues. In two cases, I wanted to open a file to take a look at the data it...
  9. How do I associate files with a program in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I associate files with a program in windows 10?: I use a weaving software program that opens and/or creates files with the extensions .wif or .dtx. In windows 7, I was able to do something that allowed me to click on those file types and the program would automatically open. I have tried so many times to do that in windows...
  10. How do i change the file association for SCR files

in Windows 10 Support
    How do i change the file association for SCR files: Hi, I use files with an SCR extension to store text data. For me SCR means script. I would like it so that when I double-click on this file, that it opens with notepad (or something similar). But this file is registered as a screen saver. And I cannot change the file...