Windows 10: How do I authenticate my account without access to Microsoft Authenticator?

Discus and support How do I authenticate my account without access to Microsoft Authenticator? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I primarily use Microsoft Authenticator to complete sign in requests for my Microsoft Account. Microsoft Authenticator was installed on my phone. For... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Craig Stewart, Dec 18, 2021.

1. How do I authenticate my account without access to Microsoft Authenticator?

I primarily use Microsoft Authenticator to complete sign in requests for my Microsoft Account. Microsoft Authenticator was installed on my phone. For some reason that phone reset itself yesterday. So, I am having to set it back up. When I first tried to log back into Microsoft Authenticator, I authenticated by having codes sent to 2 of the email addresses I had set up to use for account recovery. After entering those codes, Microsoft Authenticator prompted me to set a password. Since my account was passwordless, I thought that was odd and canceled. I started t

:)

Craig Stewart, Dec 18, 2021
  2. poit57 Win User

Microsoft Account authentication

After more research, I have found my answer. It looks like the issue was that Microsoft released a new Microsoft Authenticator app with the features first introduced in Microsoft Authenticator Beta. The new app received a prompt to approve access to my Microsoft
    Account when signing on from a new PC, though I find it strange that the beta app wasn't directly upgraded to the new version of the app.

Microsoft now has three 2 step authentication apps available in the store for Windows 10 Mobile:

• Authenticator - original app from Windows Phone 8
    • Microsoft Authenticator Beta - originally released to Windows 10 users when Windows 10 Mobile was only available on the Windows Insider program.
    • Microsoft Authenticator - the official Windows 10 app no longer in beta

poit57, Dec 18, 2021
  3. Zaki_j Win User
    Microsoft Authenticator

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to how the Microsoft Authenticator App works.

The Microsoft Authenticator app helps you sign-in to your accounts if you use two-factor verification. Two-factor verification helps you to access your accounts more securely, especially while viewing
    sensitive information. Because passwords can be forgotten, stolen, or compromised, two-factor verification is an additional security step that helps protect your account by making it harder for other people to break in.

You can use the Microsoft Authenticator app in multiple ways, including:

• Respond to a prompt for authentication after you sign in with your username and password.
    • Sign-in without entering a password, using your username, the authenticator app, and your mobile device with your fingerprint, face, or PIN.
    • As a code generator for any other accounts that support authenticator apps.

I suggest you refer to the article for more information on
    What is the Microsoft Authenticator app?and you may also
    refer to the article about Microsoft Authenticator app FAQ

However, let me point you in the right direction where you can get the appropriate assistance regarding this issue. I suggest you to post your query in
    Microsoft Authenticator App forums
    where we have expertise and support professionals.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Zaki

Zaki_j, Dec 18, 2021
  4. How do I authenticate my account without access to Microsoft Authenticator?

Windows Microsoft account authentication

I have a valid Microsoft account and a Windows 10 PC with Hello/PIN account login enabled. I also have the Microsoft Authenticator app installed on an iPhone and configured for the Microsoft account. Additionally, I have two step authentication configured
    for the Microsoft account. With all of that said, I have become very exasperated while trying to unravel the various authentication paths (and their security implications) through this multi level login security scheme. I find the associated account security
    documentation to be woefully inadequate. Thus, I would like to pose the following list of questions for starters.

1. Does Windows Hello/PIN amount to a two step verification login procedure for my Microsoft account?

2. Does approving a Microsoft Authenticator login attempt (without two step verification explicitly set up)

amount to a two step verification login procedure for my Microsoft account?

3. Does approving a Microsoft Authenticator login attempt (with two step verification explicitly set up)

amount to a two step verification login procedure for my Microsoft account?

4. If answers to both 2 and 3 are yes, then what does explicit set up of two step authentication do?

5. Does a coherent, comprehensive document explaining Microsoft account security configuration exist somewhere?

6. If the answer to 5 is yes, wherer is it?

Thanks in advance.

Thomas E. Davis, Dec 18, 2021
Thema:

How do I authenticate my account without access to Microsoft Authenticator?

1. How do I authenticate my account without access to Microsoft Authenticator? - Similar Threads - authenticate account without

2. How do I access my work account with 2 step authentication when authentication app does not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I access my work account with 2 step authentication when authentication app does not...: I have followed the support documentation to the letter, but am now stuck in a very tight loop trying to access my work account. I can access my Microsoft Outlook account fine using the authetication app, but the app will not accept me adding my work account, as it keeps...
  3. How do I access my work account with 2 step authentication when authentication app does not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I access my work account with 2 step authentication when authentication app does not...: I have followed the support documentation to the letter, but am now stuck in a very tight loop trying to access my work account. I can access my Microsoft Outlook account fine using the authetication app, but the app will not accept me adding my work account, as it keeps...
  4. How do I access my work account with 2 step authentication when authentication app does not...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. deleted account on my Microsoft Authenticator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    deleted account on my Microsoft Authenticator: I accidentally deleted an account on my Microsoft Authenticator app and I had not backed up. How do I restore the account? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-account-on-my-microsoft-authenticator/2533c9c9-b51d-434f-8b21-86362efb7ec5
  6. deleted account on my Microsoft Authenticator

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    deleted account on my Microsoft Authenticator: I accidentally deleted an account on my Microsoft Authenticator app and I had not backed up. How do I restore the account? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-account-on-my-microsoft-authenticator/2533c9c9-b51d-434f-8b21-86362efb7ec5
  7. Microsoft Authenticator cannot access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Authenticator cannot access: Hi I have problem which is my old email doesnt exist anymore but i have sync and register the email to the system. and now i want to login with new email but it kept ask me to login my old email? the problem is, i cant get the email as it doesnt exist now and it really...
  8. Microsoft Authenticator cannot access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Authenticator cannot access: Hi I have problem which is my old email doesnt exist anymore but i have sync and register the email to the system. and now i want to login with new email but it kept ask me to login my old email? the problem is, i cant get the email as it doesnt exist now and it really...
  9. How do I authenticate my account without access to Microsoft Authenticator?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I authenticate my account without access to Microsoft Authenticator?: I primarily use Microsoft Authenticator to complete sign in requests for my Microsoft Account. Microsoft Authenticator was installed on my phone. For some reason that phone reset itself yesterday. So, I am having to set it back up. When I first tried to log back into...
  10. Microsoft Authenticator Accounts

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Microsoft Authenticator Accounts: Split from this thread.Lockout of DESKTOP-K7KC2TD pin***removed PII******Moved from Microsoft 365 and Office / Subscription, account, billing / Unknown / Other***...