Windows 10: How do I authenticate on a home network share?

Discus and support How do I authenticate on a home network share? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a home network with 4 computers all running Windows 10. When I click on "Network" in the file manager I can see the other computers but when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DaveF1977, Jul 12, 2021.

1. DaveF1977 Win User

How do I authenticate on a home network share?

I have a home network with 4 computers all running Windows 10. When I click on "Network" in the file manager I can see the other computers but when I try to scan a shared directory to pull a file off a remote computer I am prompted for "network credentials." What credentials? I tried my microsoft account name and password but that does not work and neither does the user name and access code I use to log on the local and remote computer when they start up.What credentials should I be using?By the way, I have the same user name and access code to logon to all 4 computers. Should they be dif

:)

DaveF1977, Jul 12, 2021
  2. DTG1 Win User

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

3. Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, Jul 12, 2021
  4. How do I authenticate on a home network share?

Network Sharing

Hi Arya,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

1. Are you trying to share the wireless network connection from Windows device to phone?
    2. What is the make and model of the phone?
    3. Which version of Windows is installed on your device?
    Refer the article ‘Which version of Windows operating system am I running
    to provide the details.

If you’re referring to sharing the Wireless network connection in Windows 10, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

1. Press Windows + I key on your keyboard and click on Network & Internet.
    2. On the network & Internet page, click on ‘Mobile hotspot’.
    3. Turn On’ Share my Internet connection with other devices under Mobile hotspot.
    4. The default network name and password will be available under Mobile hotspot.
    5. Enter the same password on the device which you’re trying to connect and check the status of the issue.

If you’re trying to share the internet connection, then refer the article
    Use your PC as a mobile hotspot
    for more information.

If you’re referring to ‘File sharing’, I suggest you to refer the section ‘How do I troubleshoot sharing and folders’ from the article ‘File
    sharing over a network in Windows 10

Get back to us for further assistance on this issue. We will be happy to help you.

Regards,

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Jul 12, 2021
Thema:

How do I authenticate on a home network share?

1. How do I authenticate on a home network share? - Similar Threads - authenticate home network

2. Home network file sharing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Home network file sharing: I just got a new computer super fast lots of memory Windows 11 latest updates.I have 4 other computers running windows 10 on a wireless network but I can't get the new computer to recognize these.The other 4 communicate with each other OK.What's different about the Win 11...
  3. How do I setup a home network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I setup a home network: Based on what little I have found. I can no longer set up a home network, through my router, with my two computers since the last update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-setup-a-home-network/fd7f707e-6b24-4857-898a-69532934f634
  4. sharing folders on home network

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    sharing folders on home network: After update, I can no longer access shared folders on my wife's laptop from my laptop over our home network. How may I turn this on again please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-folders-on-home-network/56cc4ace-5759-47cb-b514-9c86e98307d9"
  5. Home group/network sharing

Home group/network sharing: I have a Desktop with Windows 7 and a Laptop with Windows 10. At an earlier date I was able to share files with both by turning on Home Group on Windows 7 and sharing folders in Network Sharing on my Laptop. I have since had to reinstall my Windows 10 on my Laptop; and...
  6. home networks & shared links

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    home networks & shared links: Please can anyone, give me answer how to correct the following. I have Windows 10 just updated to version 1809. My wife & I both had computer that were linked through the home network. a short while ago her machine crashed, due to a faulty mother board & scrapped, therefor...
  7. How do you share USB WebCam over Home Network

How do you share USB WebCam over Home Network: I have a Logitech C922 Pro Stream Webcam set up on PC1 which is a USB device. How can I use that camera on Laptop1? Laptop1 is on the same network ad PC1. I want to be able to select the webcam from PC1 to use for applications on Laptop1 that use Webcams. 122279
  8. Sharing files in home network

Sharing files in home network: The two computers in my home network run on Windows 10. Computer 1 has a printer attached to it. Since upgrade 1803 I cannot share files nor can I use the printer from computer 2. I have followed the instructions to install the home network that I have found on the internet...
  9. Home Network File Sharing

Home Network File Sharing: Hello, I have recently reformatted and reinstalled Windows 10 on my desktop and laptop. I know that there is no longer a "homegroup" setting for file sharing. I have set up network discovery and I can access my files on my desktop from my laptop - which is what I want....
  10. How can I share the Desktop (home network)

How can I share the Desktop (home network): Like the topic says: How can I share the desktops of my Win10 computers on the network? My network currently has two Win10 computers and an XP computer (+plus laptops but I'll worry about them after I figure this out). I was sure I had a network when I had 2 XP computers...