Windows 10: How do I back up an external hard drive to File History in Windows 10 while keeping it in...

Discus and support How do I back up an external hard drive to File History in Windows 10 while keeping it in... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; How do I back up an external hard drive to File History in Windows 10 while keeping it in Backup & Restore Windows 7?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by adwissler, Jul 10, 2020.

1. adwissler Win User

How do I back up an external hard drive to File History in Windows 10 while keeping it in...

How do I back up an external hard drive to File History in Windows 10 while keeping it in Backup & Restore Windows 7?

:)

adwissler, Jul 10, 2020

2. External hard drive back up including file history

I am trying to recover a backup from an external hard drive that has a backup including "file history".

When I try to do it "restore from a current back up" my external (F) drive with back up does not show up so obviously I can not select the file from the backup.

I also use other externals to save music or photos on and not sure of this plays a part.

Also when I do figure out how to do that... where should I import file history to? documents, OS?

I have Windows 10, 365 Home and there is no support for this.

Help!

ElsieBrussels, Jul 10, 2020
  3. File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Jul 10, 2020
  4. How do I back up an external hard drive to File History in Windows 10 while keeping it in...

file history will not back up onedrive files to external hard drive

File history won't back up onedrive files to external hard drive.

MaryLevine1, Jul 10, 2020
Thema:

How do I back up an external hard drive to File History in Windows 10 while keeping it in...

1. How do I back up an external hard drive to File History in Windows 10 while keeping it in... - Similar Threads - external hard drive

2. external hard drive not backing up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard drive not backing up: every time i press back up it does its backing up thingy then it says you havent backed up your drive ive tried 3 times and many different things online please help me i need to fix it before wensday cause they gonna take my computer and fix it and they might need to wipe it...
  3. File History not recognising external hard drive for backing up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File History not recognising external hard drive for backing up: HiI'm having issues with File History. It is turned off, and won't let me turn on. When I go through settings into update and security and into backup it says 'no usable drives found'. When I go through the Backup and Restore route, it says 'File History is off' and the...
  4. How do I back up my files to an external drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I back up my files to an external drive?: I want to backup my files to an external HD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-back-up-my-files-to-an-external-drive/bde0cf4a-70cb-4499-9c56-b267f433e96c
  5. How do I back up Windows 10 to an external hard drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I back up Windows 10 to an external hard drive?: How do I back up Windows 10 to an external hard drive? Always in the past I have been able to automatically set this but now I can not see where this is available in settings/backup....
  6. how do i back up one drive to an external hard drive

how do i back up one drive to an external hard drive: how do i back up one drive to an external hard drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-back-up-one-drive-to-an-external-hard/3bddc1b7-ecac-49a4-8e33-d768282fafad
  7. file history will not back up onedrive files to external hard drive

file history will not back up onedrive files to external hard drive: File history won't back up onedrive files to external hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-will-not-back-up-onedrive-files-to/345fc1d9-a93a-484a-8a01-58a93d13f71d
  8. Backing up one drive files to external hard drive

Backing up one drive files to external hard drive: For added security I like to back up my one drive files to an external hard drive. This may seem unnecessary but I like to have my files on my pc hard drive, the one drive cloud and another external hard drive. This is been working until recently when the backup app does not...
  9. How to Back up files on a partitioned external hard-drive from Windows 10

How to Back up files on a partitioned external hard-drive from Windows 10: How do I back up files on my Surface Pro 4 onto a partitioned external hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/how-to-back-up-files-on-a-partitioned-external/62b1448d-c819-4e00-bb1b-9a8dbc6e9bd5
  10. Backing up to a external hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backing up to a external hard drive: After reading about ransomware etc. it got me wondering about backing up my information to an external hard drive. It would serve double duty in the event of a drive failure or the unlikely event of ransom ware. I've never used an external drive for backup so I have a few...