Windows 10: How do I backup files with Robocopy instead of Synctoy

Discus and support How do I backup files with Robocopy instead of Synctoy in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I've been using Synctoy for years to backup my files, mainly to save time since we're talking about TBs here. Now, I would like to switch to Robocopy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by JunJay, Apr 22, 2019.

1. JunJay Win User

How do I backup files with Robocopy instead of Synctoy

I've been using Synctoy for years to backup my files, mainly to save time since we're talking about TBs here.
    Now, I would like to switch to Robocopy because I want to enable the Image Guardian in Macrium Reflect and Robocopy can bypass it, plus I've read around that it's much more reliable than Synctoy and it has more options.
    I searched around and there are guides on how to do it but I'm not sure how to set it up to do the same exact thing my Synctoy currently does.

Here's a screenshot of my current Synctoy options :

How do I backup files with Robocopy instead of Synctoy [​IMG]

I also have a second folder pair, but it has the same options so it was pointless to upload it.
    As for the "Save overwritten files in the Recycle Bin" option, I could do without it, I only use it in case Synctoy crashes or something goes wrong and I lose some files, just as a precaution.

Can anyone please help me making a script to run Robocopy?

Thanks in advance *Smile

:)

JunJay, Apr 22, 2019

2. SyncTOy

IMO and based on my research, SyncToy is very unreliable. In my Windows 10 system, it doesn't sync new files/folders. Moreover, it deletes files and folders in the destination even though I've set it to "Echo", and the source files and folders are intact.
    This is dangerous.

I switched to the command-line tool Robocopy which supports the /MIR (mirror) argument to create a mirror folder and subfolders, exactly the same as source folder.

RoboCopy Command-line examples

robocopy "d:\backup" "F:\WD-Elements\backup" /MIR

To exclude a file type (example *.bmp) from being Synced:

robocopy "c:\users\ramesh\Desktop" "F:\WD-Elements\Desktop" /MIR /XF file *.bmp

Get used to RoboCopy, and you'll certainly love it. It's a fantastic tool. You can save the commands to a .CMD or .BAT file and set it to run from Startup folder or Schedule it, or start manually.

Robocopy - Help

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/cc733145.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Ramesh Srinivasan, Apr 22, 2019
  3. Synctoy alternative

If it fails again, as it did in my case.. I set it to echo but it wiped out the destination folder although the source was intact). Then I uninstalled SyncToy and used RoboCopy CLI. Simply created a batch file and scheduled it using Task Scheduler.

To create a mirror (same as Echo in SyncToy), use this RoboCopy command example:

robocopy "c:\users\username\Desktop" "F:\username-synced\Desktop" /MIR

robocopy "c:\users\username\documents" "F:\username-synced\documents" /MIR

That creates a mirror copy of your desktop and documents folder (in my external storage F:\ )

4. How do I backup files with Robocopy instead of Synctoy

SyncToy backup failures on Windows 10 computer

Based on my experience, SyncToy is very unreliable. It never worked ever since I upgraded to Windows 10. It either copied the same file over (even if timestamps match), or incorrectly delete the
    items in destination folder
    even though I've set it to "Echo", and the source files and folders are intact. This is dangerous.

Since then I switched to the command-line tool Robocopy which supports the /MIR (mirror) argument to create a mirror copy
    of folder and subfolders as in the source location.

RoboCopy Command-line examples

robocopy "d:\backup" "F:\WD-Elements\backup" /MIR

To exclude a file type (example *.bmp) from being Synced:

robocopy "c:\users\ramesh\Desktop" "F:\WD-Elements\Desktop" /MIR /XF file *.bmp

Get used to RoboCopy, and you'll certainly love it. It's a fantastic tool. You can save the commands to a .CMD or .BAT file and set it to run from Startup folder or Schedule it, or start manually.

Robocopy - Help

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/cc733145.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Thema:

How do I backup files with Robocopy instead of Synctoy

1. How do I backup files with Robocopy instead of Synctoy - Similar Threads - backup files Robocopy

2. Robocopy Backup Files are no longer visible or accessible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Robocopy Backup Files are no longer visible or accessible: I've been using Robocopy for years to backup folders. All of a sudden, my backup folders and files are no longer visible or accessible. I've tried removing system and hidden file attributes which I never had to do before but that didn't help. I've also tried all the...
  3. Robocopy Backup Files are no longer visible or accessible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Robocopy Backup Files are no longer visible or accessible: I've been using Robocopy for years to backup folders. All of a sudden, my backup folders and files are no longer visible or accessible. I've tried removing system and hidden file attributes which I never had to do before but that didn't help. I've also tried all the...
  4. Backup and compare with robocopy not working

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and compare with robocopy not working: I've backed up the Windows folder from a Windows 10 boot drive with robocopy F:\Windows E:\roboRubi\Windowsz /mir Both source and target drives are attached to internal SATA ports. None of the two drives (source and target) is the boot drive I'm booted into. I'm using an...
  5. Cannot backup or robocopy windowsimagefile

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot backup or robocopy windowsimagefile: I am unable to either backup this file using File History, or copy it using a Robocopy script. Robocopy simply "skips" it, according to the result of the script from the cmd command. I suspect is has to do with all the permissions requirements, but have made sure I log in...
  6. SyncToy

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SyncToy: why is it not working on Windows 10 PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/synctoy/f806d2ba-05fa-4d61-a200-bdcec8c97551
  7. Backup with robocopy file count and size are different

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup with robocopy file count and size are different: I always try to keep up 3 copies and found the tool robocopy /mir as very useful. After some years I run into a big issue. Why there is such a big discrepancy in file size and count eating up the space on my external drive? See attached screenshot: [ATTACH] If I compare...
  8. How do I backup files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I backup files?: I just got a MS Surface, How do I backup files? I was trying to download icloud but having trouble so does MS Surface have a file backup program & how does it work? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-backup-files/e51d527b-2700-4d26-8275-ede3fd0af5fc"
  9. robocopy backup of important files

robocopy backup of important files: hi, I have a standard Windows 10 build and I'm using y to backup my data to an external drive. The goal is just to capture all my data so if the PC fails/gets stolen etc. I can restore my data on to another PC. I'm doing a backup of c:\users\ as this seems to capture...
  10. Robocopy backup won't work

Robocopy backup won't work: I tried to use the built-in Windows program called Robocopy to back up my files using the following command on the command line: robocopy Documents J:\robocopy /e This command works fine on my laptop But it would not work on my desktop computer for some reason It...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to sync folders with robocopy