Windows 10: How do I become the administrator of my own computer?

Discus and support How do I become the administrator of my own computer? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm always getting issues with Windows 10 saying I can't do certain things and have to contact the administrator. It's my PC! There is no administrator... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Elliot500, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Elliot500 Win User

How do I become the administrator of my own computer?

I'm always getting issues with Windows 10 saying I can't do certain things and have to contact the administrator. It's my PC! There is no administrator other than me! How can I change this? Please, it's such a stupid error I know, that's what Microsoft does all the time. Why do they have to do things like this?

Thanks.

:)

Elliot500, Mar 15, 2021

2. Becoming the administrator on my own computer

Hi Joan,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I suggest you to enable the built-in Administrator account by following the steps below:

• Right click in the Start icon and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type the below command:
    Net user administrator active:yes

3. Restart the computer and login to the built-in Administrator account.

4. Delete the account which is not required and make the required account as Administrator.

5. Sign-out from the built-in administrator account and login to the other account which is made as the Administrator and check for status.

After creating a new Administrator account, disable the built-in Administrator account by following the steps below:

• Right click in the Start icon and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type the below command:
    Net user administrator active:no

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Mar 15, 2021
  3. Windows 10, Says I'm not the Administrator of my own computer any more.

Hi Elissa,

Thank you for the update. You may check this article on how to disable OneDrive on your computer. Regarding your "not the Administrator" issue, we suggest that you
    enable the built-in administrator account on Windows 10 by running a command in an elevated command prompt. In order to do so, kindly follow these steps:

• Open Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
    • Accept the User Account Control prompt.
    • Enter this command to enable the hidden administrator account:
      net user administrator /active:yes

We would appreciate an update about how it went.

Marilou Ser, Mar 15, 2021
  4. angus Win User

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Mar 15, 2021
Thema:

1. How do I become the administrator of my own computer? - Similar Threads - become administrator own

2. How do I change the administrator on my computer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change the administrator on my computer.: I recently purchased a computer for my daughter and set it up using my Microsoft account and now we want to add her as an administrator and remove me. Thank you...
  3. how to become administrator

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    how to become administrator: I have just installed windows from scratch.I cannot delete any desktop shortcuts and I get this message.anyone has a solution how to become my pc's administrator?...
  4. How do I change the administrator of my computer?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How do I change the administrator of my computer?: My granddaughter, Tatum Braxton set my computer up as though it was her private laptop when in actuality it belongs to me, Lonna Clark Braxton. How do I change the administrator for billing & ownerrship purposes?...
  5. How to be become an administrator

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to be become an administrator: How can i become an administrator to optimize my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-be-become-an-administrator/743decc2-5696-41cc-b3af-990645dd3b56
  6. I need to be administrator of my own computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I need to be administrator of my own computer: I have tried to defrag my computer but it wont let me because it says I'm not an administrator. The solution on help was to go into Friends and Others section. This did not work because my account did not come up as family or other....
  7. How do I 'become' my network administrator?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I 'become' my network administrator?: Windows tells me I must contact my network administrator in order to see my music files. This is a home network. How do I convince my own network I have authority to see the file?...
  8. how do i make myself my own administrator on my own pc with windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do i make myself my own administrator on my own pc with windows 10: how do I make myself administrator on my pc with windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-make-myself-my-own-administrator-on-my/41df3d8e-4ab6-47c2-ab29-c284e356bde5
  9. how do i become the administrator in windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do i become the administrator in windows 10: how do I become administrator in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-become-the-administrator-in-windows-10/b772c4a4-ef7f-4818-8523-d8096384b51d
  10. I am no longer administrator on my own computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I am no longer administrator on my own computer: While trying to make my computer more user friendly and stop it from asking permission from administrator to do certain things, I accidentally turned off my administrator rights. I know the admin password but every time it says to enter the admin password there is no place to...