Windows 10: How do I block my computer from restarting for updates?

Discus and support How do I block my computer from restarting for updates? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Rarely when i get to my desk in the morning my computer has restarted. this has to stop to keep me from going insane. I figure there is a setting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ironfist, Nov 14, 2017.

1. ironfist Win User

How do I block my computer from restarting for updates?

Rarely when i get to my desk in the morning my computer has restarted. this has to stop to keep me from going insane.

I figure there is a setting somewhere.

:)

ironfist, Nov 14, 2017
  2. Rohn007 Win User
    Rohn007, Nov 14, 2017
  3. Andre Da Costa, Nov 14, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

If it happens because of a Windows update, then try setting Active Hours. (Settings, search for active hours). You should have a period of up to 18 hours available during which restarts due to updates should not occur.

- could I check what you mean... do you mean this occasionally happens?

There was an update this week requiring a restart.

IF you check your Update History and the News thread here for each update to see if a restart was required, you can correlate the two.

If you are experiencing random restarts more than once a month or so, and not correlated with any update, that's occurring for some other reason.

In that case, check your Reliability History (Cortana search for Reli).

dalchina, Nov 14, 2017
Thema:

1. How do I block my computer from restarting for updates? - Similar Threads - block computer restarting

2. My computer shutdown and restart after an update. How do I fix this?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My computer shutdown and restart after an update. How do I fix this?: My computer shutdown and restart after an update. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-shutdown-and-restart-after-an-update/f4903f6f-47c4-461e-b365-6cac36842ed7
  3. My computer shutdown and restart after an update. How do I fix this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer shutdown and restart after an update. How do I fix this?: My computer shutdown and restart after an update. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-shutdown-and-restart-after-an-update/f4903f6f-47c4-461e-b365-6cac36842ed7
  4. My computer shutdown and restart after an update. How do I fix this?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I prevent Windows Update from restarting my computer without my consent?

How do I prevent Windows Update from restarting my computer without my consent?: Win10 Pro user here. I can't stand this anymore. I haven't lost any computer data to an actual virus or malware attack since the year 2003, but I lose work to Windows' intrusive update procedure on a near-monthly basis. Windows might as well be the virus at this point. It's...
  6. How do I stop Microsoft from automatically restarting my computer after an update?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I stop Microsoft from automatically restarting my computer after an update?: Ok, I've spent the last hour reading people's complaints that are equal in frustration and anger to mine. I cannot tell you how disappointing it is to have yet another BULLY try to decide for me because they think they are smarter than everyone else on earth. Trust me, YOU...
  7. How do I stop Windows from restarting my computer, EVER?

How do I stop Windows from restarting my computer, EVER?: I sometimes come back to my computer after a break or in the morning to see that all my programs have been closed down and all my work discarded. I have lost half a dozen unsaved text files with notes and to-do lists. I would have lost hours of client work because of this, if...
  8. How do I block AN ENTIRE DOMAIN from my email?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I block AN ENTIRE DOMAIN from my email?: How do I block AN ENTIRE DOMAIN in outlook email? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-block-an-entire-domain-from-my-email/03ce5652-0f46-4137-ab6d-866c9d17ade4
  9. How do I block Mobile updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How do I block Mobile updates: I have a weird thing going on with updates on my Win 10 computer. It claims management in the Mobile Service has settings I'm not allowed to change. I'm the only person on this computer. I don't need Mobile anything on this desktop. The only thing it will let me do right...
  10. how do i COMPLETELY stop my computer from updating!?!?

how do i COMPLETELY stop my computer from updating!?!?: it seems that i am CONSTANTLY being FORCED by microsoft to "update" my computer at their leisure. i never asked for their "updates", i tried turning off all things associated with their "updates", BUT THEY STILL KEEP COMING! I DONT WANT THEM, I DONT NEED THEM! they say its...