Windows 10: How do I block windows 10 SYSTEM group from taking control of my folders?

Discus and support How do I block windows 10 SYSTEM group from taking control of my folders? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was in the middle of some important work that involved creating a folder on a drive, manually moving specific files to it to organize the file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Elliander Eldridge, Apr 22, 2021.

1. How do I block windows 10 SYSTEM group from taking control of my folders?

I was in the middle of some important work that involved creating a folder on a drive, manually moving specific files to it to organize the file structure, and then copying the files over to be used in a project. This directory structure is essentially a backup of the main work area so that I can roll back more easily.

For days I've had no trouble with it, but then, suddenly, I needed permission to copy the files. Every single time I would copy a file, or move a file, I'd have to go through the extra step of granting myself permission. Turns out they were all changed to read only, which I cannot revert. Going into Properties > Security I can see that user permissions were all removed, and SYSTEM group took full control over everything!

It was easy enough to change the settings back, but the point is, this isn't a behavior that I authorized and it's not the first time it has happened. I am tired of having "Windows 10" decide arbitrarily that it wants to take over something I am using and restrict my own permissions. I want to do whatever is neccessary to keep SYSTEM from ever having permission to do such a thing.

So, imagine for a moment that SYSTEM is an ordinary user group. How would I go about restricting that group from being able to change anything anywhere? I'd go to the root directory and change SYSTEM to deny all, but I don't want to risk that somehow preventing the user accounts from access if they inherit anything from SYSTEM. I don't know.

I've seen allot of threads from people complaining about this behavior and for good reason. It comes off as malicious. To put it simply, no one can trust a user group that they feel like they have to fight with. I'd trust it way more if I get to choose which folders it should secure and which it shouldn't without worrying that it will randomly decide that it doesn't want me making modifications anymore. And yes, I am on the Admin account.

EDIT: TrustedInstaller is another group I do not trust ironically. It just now took over yet another folder I was working on. I want to block both SYSTEM and TrustedInstaller from having any power whatsoever on my computer to take control over any file or folder.

:)

Elliander Eldridge, Apr 22, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 22, 2021
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    Controlled Folder Access blocked

Hi Aeolus0,

The Controlled Folder Access is an enterprise-class ransomware protection component that was recently added to Windows Defender. When you turn on Controlled folder access, a lot of the folders you use most often will be protected by default. This means that
    content in any of these folders cannot be accessed or changed by any unknown or untrusted apps. Once you add additional folders, they become automatically protected as well. To add protected folders:

• Select Virus & threat protection settings.
    • Under Controlled folder access, select Protected folders.
    • Select Add a protected folder and follow the prompts to add folders.

If you see an App is blocked message when you try to use a familiar app, you can simply unblock the app. If this message displays:

• Write down or take note of the path of the blocked app.
    • Select the message, and then select Add an allowed app.
    • Browse for the program you want to allow access.

As for your query about having no sounds on your computer, it could be caused by an outdated or corrupted audio driver. For us to assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Which version and OS build number of Windows 10 is currently installed? To check, press the
      Windows key, type winver, and press the
      Enter
      key.
    • Have you tried to download and install the latest audio driver from the manufacturer's website of your device?

Meanwhile, you can try the steps in this
    link
    to troubleshoot sound issues on Windows 10.

We'll be looking forward to your reply.

Eric Ber, Apr 22, 2021
  4. AMX& Win User

How do I block windows 10 SYSTEM group from taking control of my folders?

Windows Security - Controlled Folder Access - Recently Blocked App List

Hello,

I thank you for your response. I know how to add and remove apps to and from the controlled folder access. My question is how to remove an app from the "Recently Blocked Apps" list. In Windows 1809 they made it easier to add apps to the controlled folder
    access without having to navigate to the exe. They added a Recently Blocked Apps list you can select from. The steps for Windows 1809 are:

1. Open the Windows Security and click/tap on the Virus & threat protection icon.

2. Click/tap on the Manage ransomware protection link under the Ransomware protection section.

3. Click/tap on the Allow an app through Controlled folder access link.

4. Click/tap on Yes when prompted by UAC to approve.

5. Click/tap on Add an Allowed App (+) sign

6. Click or tap Recently Blocked Apps from the drop down menu. (NEW)

7. Click or tap on the (+) button for the app you want to add from the list. (NEW)

It is this Recently Blocked Folders List I am trying to edit to remove apps I have not authorized and that have been deleted from my PC and are still in this list. I know you can select an allowed app from the controlled folder access list and you will
    see a REMOVE button, which in 1809 will put the app back in the Recently Blocked Apps list if it was there originally. But that same process does not work on the Blocked Apps list.

My question still remains:

How do you delete an app from the "Recently Blocked Apps" list in Windows Security for Windows 1809?

AMX&, Apr 22, 2021
Thema:

How do I block windows 10 SYSTEM group from taking control of my folders?

1. How do I block windows 10 SYSTEM group from taking control of my folders? - Similar Threads - block SYSTEM group

2. How do I take control of my PC?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I take control of my PC?: I recently took SSD from my old laptop and put it in my motherboard. It won't let me delete everything so I can use it has extra storage. I'm the only person on this computer so you'd think I my profile would be allowed to do anything. I'm not loading Windows from the SSD, I...
  3. How do I take control of my PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I take control of my PC?: I recently took SSD from my old laptop and put it in my motherboard. It won't let me delete everything so I can use it has extra storage. I'm the only person on this computer so you'd think I my profile would be allowed to do anything. I'm not loading Windows from the SSD, I...
  4. How do I take control of my PC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I stop mousocoreworker.exe from blocking my system from sleeping ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop mousocoreworker.exe from blocking my system from sleeping ?: I have been investigating the issue of mousocoreworker.exe blocking my desktop from sleeping for a while, but have not found a solution. I have read every post about it on this forum, as well as some others, and tried a could of things with no success. I am running Win10 with...
  6. How do I stop mousocoreworker.exe from blocking my system from sleeping ?

How do I stop mousocoreworker.exe from blocking my system from sleeping ?: I have been investigating the issue of mousocoreworker.exe blocking my desktop from sleeping for a while, but have not found a solution. I have read every post about it on this forum, as well as some others, and tried a could of things with no success. I am running Win10 with...
  7. How do I stop mousocoreworker.exe from blocking my system from sleeping ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. How do I stop the downloads folder from constantly grouping?

How do I stop the downloads folder from constantly grouping?: I just updated to Windows 11 and my downloads folder and sub folders keep changing to grouping. I keep changing it back to none, etc, but when the next time I open the downloads folder it has changed back. It seems to only be affecting the downloads folders, every other...
  9. How do I take control of my PC BACK from Win 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I take control of my PC BACK from Win 10?: Microsoft keeps changing my personal folders from the drive where I want them to some cloud space called OneDrive that I have ZERO interest in. All of my folder settings keep getting reverted to the LEAST EFFICIENT way to view them large icons ?! None of the changes I make...
  10. System blocking admin user from updating Controlled Folder Access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    System blocking admin user from updating Controlled Folder Access: On a Windows 10 Home 64 bit PC, which I purchased directly from HP and which only I have access to, I wanted to turn on Controlled Folder Access and then customize the list of folders. I logged into the Admin user, and went into Windows Security settings. When I clicked on...