Windows 10: How do I boot off a recovery drive?

Discus and support How do I boot off a recovery drive? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So I've got this laptop ASUS X54C and it had Windows 10, so I want to install Windows 7 on it. I knew that on almost every computer theres a Recovery... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by AugustasJancevičius, Feb 22, 2024.

1. How do I boot off a recovery drive?

So I've got this laptop ASUS X54C and it had Windows 10, so I want to install Windows 7 on it. I knew that on almost every computer theres a Recovery partition. But this one had it blank. So I formatted it, found a image of Recovery drive on archive.org and burned it to Recovery drive. But the thing is, how do I boot off that drive? I tried flashing the same image to USB, no luck, tried booting off the Recovery drive, but it wasnt an option when looking in Boot menu. Can anyone help please? I need to restore the os and apps it came with.

:)

AugustasJancevičius, Feb 22, 2024
  2. ApolloXYZ Win User

Recovery Drive Doubt

I created a recovery drive usb pendrive when i bought my laptop. That time it was Win 10 Home SL. Now i upgraded it to Win 10 Pro and activated it using "illegal software". So these are the doubts which i have :

1. Can the Recovery Drive reverts Pro to Home? (Recovery Drive was created during Win 10 Home SL. So if i boot Recovery Drive it should revert back to Home. These are my thoughts)
    2. Will the digital license work after downgrading ?
    3. Will there be any backlash ?
    P.S. After upgrading it to Pro, there was a warning saying "digital license valid for Home SL, and not for Pro". I used an "illegal software" to activate it. Also i am a newbie so please explain it step by step.

ApolloXYZ, Feb 22, 2024
  3. topgundcp Win User
    How does Windows boot to advanced recovery option e.g. command prompt?

- that gives me a 454 'Unexpected error' This tells me that the BCD is partially corrupted.

The commands: shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00
    or: %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c reagentc /boottore&shutdown /r /f /t 00
    should boot into Recovery if everything is configured correctly.
    FYI, If Windows is configured correctly:
    1. If Reagentc is disabled, you still can get into Recovery but with limited options.
    2. If Reagentc is enabled, you'll get all options.
    3. If you boot Windows using Recovery USB stick, You'll get into Recovery with couple of options missing.

Here's my suggestion if you want to try:
    OPTION 1: Will save the trouble of re-install Windows.

1. Download the image of my first 3 partitions (450MB Recovery, 100 MB EFI partition, and 16MB unformatted primary)
      EFI_Boot-00-00.7z - Google Drive
    2. Run Macrium and restore the image from step 1, overwriting your existing 1st three partitions, leaving C alone.
    3. Delete the 490MB Recovery partition.
    4. From Macrium, run fix boot problems.
    5. Reboot. Open Admin command prompt then run Reagentc /info to make sure that it is enabled. If not, enable it.
      if failed to enable, reboot and try again.
    OPTION 2: Assuming you've already had Windows backup with Macrium.

1. Wipe out the first 5 parttiions. (450MB, 100MB, 16MB, C Drive, 480MB)
    2. Fresh install Windows 10
    3. Restore C drive from backup image, run fix boot problems
    4. repeat step 5 from OPTION 1 above.

topgundcp, Feb 22, 2024
  4. HvB-btr Win User

How do I boot off a recovery drive?

Recovery drive does not boot

After being upgrading from W 8.1 to W 10 by HP support I followed the Microsoft's website instructions to make a recovery drive. I used an external 32GB hard drive for this purpose which previously held the recovery for W 8.1. Since I did not get any
    error messages I assumed all was fine and I emptied the D:Recovery from my laptop drive as suggested by Microsoft's instructions if one desired additional drive space.

Unfortunately the recovery drive will not boot. From the boot menu I selected the USB hard drive, followed successively by the following menu selections: US keyboard; use a device; USB drive (UEFI).

This sets up a loop that goes back to the keyboard selection.

With deletion of D:Recovery I am now without a recovery option. The suggestion from a Microsoft Support Engineer to create a new recovery drive seems useless since the files to be coped to such a drive were deleted. Anyone has a real solution? Thanks.

HvB-btr, Feb 22, 2024
Thema:

How do I boot off a recovery drive?

1. How do I boot off a recovery drive? - Similar Threads - boot off recovery

2. How do I turn off permissions and one drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I turn off permissions and one drive?: I want to give myself full admin control on my machine. I am constantly getting file permission errors saving to my desktop and this should not happen. I think it may have something to do with one drive, which I want to disable as well. Thanks!...
  3. How do I turn off permissions and one drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I turn off permissions and one drive?: I want to give myself full admin control on my machine. I am constantly getting file permission errors saving to my desktop and this should not happen. I think it may have something to do with one drive, which I want to disable as well. Thanks!...
  4. How do I turn off permissions and one drive?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How do I boot off a recovery drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I boot off a recovery drive?: So I've got this laptop ASUS X54C and it had Windows 10, so I want to install Windows 7 on it. I knew that on almost every computer theres a Recovery partition. But this one had it blank. So I formatted it, found a image of Recovery drive on archive.org and burned it to...
  6. How can I boot off of the recovery partition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I boot off of the recovery partition?: I have this Presario CQ57-339WM Laptop that right now just runs base Windows 7 Ultimate. It has Windows 7 by manufactor, but it's supposed to have firmware and custom oobe provided with it. It has a recovery partition but it seems that it only reads a basic version of 7...
  7. How can I boot off of the recovery partition?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I boot off of the recovery partition?: I have this Presario CQ57-339WM Laptop that right now just runs base Windows 7 Ultimate. It has Windows 7 by manufactor, but it's supposed to have firmware and custom oobe provided with it. It has a recovery partition but it seems that it only reads a basic version of 7...
  8. how do i turn off sync in One Drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do i turn off sync in One Drive?: How do i turn off sync in One Drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-turn-off-sync-in-one-drive/b9431b6e-ca17-4e6e-8fad-56cd9c890fa1
  9. Delete everything off a recovery drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Delete everything off a recovery drive: I created a recovery drive for my laptop but now i want to convert it back to a memory drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-everything-off-a-recovery-drive/5bb72158-392d-4964-9082-44c07dd5c203
  10. USB recovery boot drive won't boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB recovery boot drive won't boot: I wasn't sure which forum to put this into. I created a backup image on a usb hard drive. I wanted to be able to restore it using a usb recovery thumb drive. I used the create usb recovery tool and created the recovery flash drive. When I try to boot from the flash drive I...