Windows 10: How do I boot off the partition I cloned, not the original partition

Discus and support How do I boot off the partition I cloned, not the original partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I'm having a lot of trouble doing my Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade (long story, other threads here), and then I realized that if I screwed up, I could... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by x509, May 25, 2016.

1. x509 Win User

How do I boot off the partition I cloned, not the original partition

So I'm having a lot of trouble doing my Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade (long story, other threads here), and then I realized that if I screwed up, I could damage my Windows partition *Mad, which also contains like 100+ GB of installed programs (but no real user data). I figured that I should do all my experiments and trials on a spare copy of that partition. *Wink

My Windows C: partition is on an SSD, but I cloned that partition to a spare HDD. When I try to boot off the HDD, it still wants to boot off the SSD. How do I get that HDD to boot up properly?

*Redcarded

:)

2. BossDweeb Win User

Replacing an existing Hard Disk by cloning

I've never used EaseUS, but AOEMI Partition Assistant works well for cloning Windows.

With AOEMI you clone only the C:\ drive, not the whole HDD/SSD.

Other partitions can be done via the backup option, or you can create new partitions later

via Windows Disk Manager and copy data directly to the partition.

I have never tried using a external drive via USB though (I have an e-SATA dock on my case, which is the same as connecting to a SATA port on the motherboard).

Using a USB may cause issues with the MBR not being written to the cloned OS drive, but this should not

be an issue if cloning back to the original HDD as the MBR on the original HDD should still be viable.

Free Partition Manager - AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard

Note that when doing a cloning operation you start with unallocated space on the HDD you want

to clone to, not a partitioned space.

BossDweeb, May 25, 2016
  3. JohnLimb Win User
    Recovery Image showing in File explorer

I have just cloned my disk to my new SSD. The Recovery image was also cloned. It is fraction smaller than the original file, but, I believe contains the whole file. The problem is that the recovery image partition shows up in file explorer, and I get alerts
    that the partition is nearly full and I should do something about it. How do I stop getting the partition showing up in File Explorer and not get the alerts.

Thanks

JohnLimb, May 25, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

From a Command Prompt (Admin) try running the following:

bcdboot C:\Windows /s C: /f BIOS

The drive letters in red will be the drive letter to the HDD windows partition.

NavyLCDR, May 25, 2016
  5. x509 Win User
    NavyLCDR,

I just did the help file for bcdboot and it does not have an /f flag. Is BIOS the OS Loader ID?

I'm still on Win 7 SP 1 plus all patches.

Thanks.

6. Kyhi Win User
    the /f flag is the firmware options

BIOS, UEFI, ALL

With the SDD in place - we will add the HDD to the SSD Boot files (BCD)

Assume the HDD is drive letter H

bcdboot H:\windows

Now if you are disconnecting the SSD then you would use the command as Navy suggested
    As that command will add the boot files to the HDD
    Or you could use that suggested command - and then change the boot order in the bios to boot from the HDD first and the SSD second

Kyhi, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I boot off the partition I cloned, not the original partition - Similar Threads - boot off partition

2. How can I boot off of the recovery partition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I boot off of the recovery partition?: I have this Presario CQ57-339WM Laptop that right now just runs base Windows 7 Ultimate. It has Windows 7 by manufactor, but it's supposed to have firmware and custom oobe provided with it. It has a recovery partition but it seems that it only reads a basic version of 7...
  3. How can I boot off of the recovery partition?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I boot off of the recovery partition?: I have this Presario CQ57-339WM Laptop that right now just runs base Windows 7 Ultimate. It has Windows 7 by manufactor, but it's supposed to have firmware and custom oobe provided with it. It has a recovery partition but it seems that it only reads a basic version of 7...
  4. How do I boot from a partition?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I boot from a partition?: I am dual booting Windows 10 with Arco linux Arch based linux. I burned iso file on a USB. Now in diskmgmt.msc there is new partition which contains installed Arco linux. This is how it looks. How can I boot from that partition?...
  5. How do I boot from a partition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I boot from a partition?: I am dual booting Windows 10 with Arco linux Arch based linux. I burned iso file on a USB. Now in diskmgmt.msc there is new partition which contains installed Arco linux. This is how it looks. How can I boot from that partition?...
  6. How do I boot from a partition?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. v. 20h2 how do i clone a partition to a backup drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    v. 20h2 how do i clone a partition to a backup drive: v. 20h2 how do i clone a partition to a backup drive 175126
  8. How do i add a boot entry for a partition

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do i add a boot entry for a partition: Hello, as the title says, how can i add a boot entry for a specific partition. I have tried EasyBCD, but my system ssd is in UEFI. Is there a workaround to this issue? Thanks in advance,...
  9. Booting from a Cloned Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting from a Cloned Partition: I have cloned a partition using AOEMI Backupper and I have tried to find out how to make the cloned partition bootable. No luck with that. Note that this PC has one Hard Drive and which is UEFI/GPT based. Is it possible to make the cloned partition (G) bootable. The...
  10. How do I merge boot and system partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I merge boot and system partitions: Hi everyone, I recently updated from Win7 to Win10. Initially when updating I was encountering an error, which I resolved by splitting my SSD into 2 partitions using CMD (I found this information through other posts). Now the SSD is in 2 partitions, one being the boot...