Windows 10: How do I cascade a customized Explorer view to subfolders?

Discus and support How do I cascade a customized Explorer view to subfolders? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I have a top-level parent folder "Team Reports". In this folder there are a few files, and many subfolders. In this parent view, I have added... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Roy_296, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Roy_296 Win User

How do I cascade a customized Explorer view to subfolders?

Hello,

I have a top-level parent folder "Team Reports". In this folder there are a few files, and many subfolders. In this parent view, I have added "Authors" to the file properties in the right hand pane. (The subfolders contain the same file types as are contained in the parent).

However, this new column ("property / metadata") does not cascade down to my subfolders. I have to manually add "Authors" to the view for each subfolder. And there are far too many subfolders to manually add this new column to.

Is there any easy way to force this same "Author" column view into all the subfolders?

Thanks for any help.

:)

Roy_296, Jun 25, 2019
  2. Aeikausar Win User

File Explorer - List / View all files in subfolders of a folder

In File Explorer, Is there any way to list/view all files in subfolders of a folder, without using command line or windows search? Thank you

Aeikausar, Jun 25, 2019
  3. David Haz Win User
    Cascade windows

Hello,

You may follow the steps below to cascade the windows on your device:

• Right-click on an empty space on the Task Bar.
    • Click Cascade Windows.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask us.

Regards.

David Haz, Jun 25, 2019
  4. KeithM Win User

apply list view to only all subfolders

What you want can be done with Registry edits. The capability has been around since XP:

It's barely implemented in the UI via Folder Properties -> Customize tab -> "Also apply this template to all subfolders". This creates the "Inherit" key. But it only has a value for FolderType, and that simply refers back to whatever defaults you've set for each folder template via "Apply to folders"

How do I cascade a customized Explorer view to subfolders? [​IMG]

But Explorer looks for more. It looks for an Inherit key under the GUID key. This is from a Procmon log:

16:08:42.2022498 Explorer.EXE 4444 RegOpenKey HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\55\Shell\{5C4F28B5-F869-4E84-8E60-F11DB97C5CC7}\Inherit NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Read

But if you create that key, Explorer will look for all same values in a saved view.

How do I cascade a customized Explorer view to subfolders? [​IMG]

Keith

KeithM, Jun 25, 2019
Thema:

1. How do I cascade a customized Explorer view to subfolders? - Similar Threads - cascade customized Explorer

2. Windows 11 - Cascade View gone??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Cascade View gone??: I have Windows 11 and can no longer cascade windows. Is there a way to do so?If not, is there a way to go back to Windows 10 once the "go back" feature is no longer available?...
  3. Windows 11 - Cascade View gone??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - Cascade View gone??: I have Windows 11 and can no longer cascade windows. Is there a way to do so?If not, is there a way to go back to Windows 10 once the "go back" feature is no longer available?...
  4. Customize folder view does not apply to subfolders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Customize folder view does not apply to subfolders: When using Windows Explorer, I want all my folders to be viewed as Documents. i.e Name, file size, last updated, etc.I do have some music sub-folders, but I don't like the Music view. Name track number, title, etc.So I go to the parent folder, right click for the context...
  5. Customize folder view does not apply to subfolders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Customize folder view does not apply to subfolders: When using Windows Explorer, I want all my folders to be viewed as Documents. i.e Name, file size, last updated, etc.I do have some music sub-folders, but I don't like the Music view. Name track number, title, etc.So I go to the parent folder, right click for the context...
  6. How do I customize the Navigation pane in windows explorer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I customize the Navigation pane in windows explorer?: [ATTACH] My OCD is constantly being triggered by only having D drive there. Is there a way that I can customize the Navigation Pane to remove the D or add my C drive there? submitted by /u/toobrokeforgucci [link] [comments]...
  7. File Explorer view subfolder contents without clicking on every subfolder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer view subfolder contents without clicking on every subfolder?: In file explorer we have several folders and subfolders set up. Some never get populated while others do. Is there a way when starting at the first folder to see contents of subfolders without having to click all of them and determine which are populated and which are empty?...
  8. How to apply view settings of library to subfolders?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to apply view settings of library to subfolders?: On windows 1809, with sfc.scannow giving no error, I run Reset_Folder_View_Settings_of_All_Folders_to_Default(1).bat in order to reset everything then I run All_Folders_Use_Documents_Folder_Template(1).bat in order to make all folder views as document then I create my custom...
  9. Applying custom Folder View settings to subfolders

in Windows 10 Customization
    Applying custom Folder View settings to subfolders: I've been reading up on applying Folder View settings to either All Folders or all folders of the same type, but neither of those is quite what I'm looking for. Specifically, I'd like to write my own utility that reads the folder view settings for any given folder (I...
  10. How do I set a default view in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I set a default view in File Explorer?: I want 'List', not 'Details'. I could keep it at 'List' view in Windows 7, but I don't see a setting for that option any more? Also, I downloaded a program called Explorer Plus Plus, which I love. Is there any way in Windows 10 to make IT my default Folder opener?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows cascading directory

2. how to get subfolders to cascade in documents menu windows 10

3. how to view folders cascade

4. how do you cascade folder content in file explorer,
  5. is there a way to cascade a folder to see subfolders,
  6. cascading subfolders in windows 10 explorere