Windows 10: How do I change a default app?

Discus and support How do I change a default app? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I accidentally did the default of .jar files as "Notepad", when I don't want any default app. How do I set it to no default at all? [ATTACH] When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Zoey 0524, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Zoey 0524 Win User

How do I change a default app?

I accidentally did the default of .jar files as "Notepad", when I don't want any default app. How do I set it to no default at all?

How do I change a default app? 8e8a6b53-0c22-42a7-bd3c-e6cf81cdbff7?upload=true.png

When I click on it, this shows: How do I change a default app? f8c3df2c-6287-4735-b82d-7abd64642b40?upload=true.png

And when I click "Look for an app in the Store", it doesn't show an option to set no default. Is there a way to have no default app? Thank you

:)

Zoey 0524, Sep 17, 2019

2. Cannot change the default apps by using control panel

Original Title: Cannot change default apps.

As said, I cannot change the default apps by using control panel > ... > Default Apps tab.

I cannot change any of the default programs. I use paint.net to edit/view photos and I cannot set it to the default program even though it is on the list, it does not change and i'm stuck with the default photo viewer. This happens with any other app actually,
    I cannot change the default music player there, nor browser or anything.

I followed these steps as suggest by a microsoft engineer, post 2, and later on, no avail.

Can't change default apps in Windows 10

I refuse to use work arounds, I'd like a proper solution is possible, thank you.

RodrigoDrt, Sep 17, 2019
  3. Windows 10 1803 default app change bug

When right clicking a file and going to "Open With", no matter what file it is, I can't change its default. The box is checked, and the app doesn't change.

This is also true of right clicking and going to "Properties". When I click change, the default doesn't change.

This is happening to me on 3 computers now. Steps to reproduce? I could probably do it by:

Installing Windows 8.1, and upgrading to 10 with the media creation tool.

This does not happen with a fresh install from a USB with Windows 10.

Don't tell me to go to "Settings" and change the defaults. The file type list is horrible, and some of my file types are not listed. The registry is not an option on multiple PCs as it is not just one file type. It is ALL file types. No matter what one I
    try, it's always the same result.

Are there any suggestions? I know how to navigate computer, so please do not suggest that I need to go to Settings

> Apps > Default Apps. These options are far from optimized, and they don't have what I need. There isn't even an option to browse for an app to select defaults for when the app doesn't show up in the list.

A quick fix would be nice. Even a simple item in the registry? I could potentially have this problem on all 75 computers in this building as they all started at 8.1 before going to 10. I can't reinstall Windows on every machine. That's ridiculous.

Abraham Hadley, Sep 17, 2019
  4. How do I change a default app?

Windows10 Keeps Changing my Default Apps

Hi Carol,

There is a certain option in Settings where you can change the default apps for a specific file type. For example, your .psd file can be opened by a certain app as a default while the other file types can be opened by a different app. You can manually change
    it by following these steps:

• Press Windows key + I.
    • Select Apps, and then Default apps.
    • Select Choose default apps by file type.
    • From there, scroll down to the file type that you want to change the default app.

Feel free to contact us if you need assistance with Windows.

Dennis Mop, Sep 17, 2019
Thema:

How do I change a default app?

1. How do I change a default app? - Similar Threads - change default app

2. How to change default apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change default apps: How do I fix the bug where default 2023 programmes never appear in this dialogue and choosing them manually using the more apps option doesn't change a thing. This has been affecting Adobe users for a year now, and other software for more than a year and despite multiple...
  3. How to change default apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change default apps: How do I fix the bug where default 2023 programmes never appear in this dialogue and choosing them manually using the more apps option doesn't change a thing. This has been affecting Adobe users for a year now, and other software for more than a year and despite multiple...
  4. How to change default apps

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. HOW DO I CHANGE DEFAULT APP FOR THE HTML FILES ??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HOW DO I CHANGE DEFAULT APP FOR THE HTML FILES ??: I uninstall edge the first day i got my new pc , now i have to right click and choose open with to open a html file... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-default-app-for-the-html-files/b38946e5-2399-4899-8523-5d1c5c0d044e
  6. HOW DO I CHANGE DEFAULT APP FOR THE HTML FILES ??

HOW DO I CHANGE DEFAULT APP FOR THE HTML FILES ??: I uninstall edge the first day i got my new pc , now i have to right click and choose open with to open a html file... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-default-app-for-the-html-files/b38946e5-2399-4899-8523-5d1c5c0d044e
  7. How do i change the default pointer?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do i change the default pointer?: I have currently modified how my mouse pointer looks though every time i restart/shutdown this pc the pointer changes to the Microsoft default, I'd had to change the pointer to the one i set every time it starts up, is there a setting to change this or is this non-changeable?...
  8. How do I change the default download folder for Photo App.

How do I change the default download folder for Photo App.: Good Afternoon, Currently, the Photo app downloads to my "C:\Users\Family\Pictures\..." directory. This is a problem because the C:\ drive on my computer is only 237 GB. During a recent attempt to download some photos for editing, my computer said the target location was...
  9. how do I change the default to open an app

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do I change the default to open an app: How do I change the program default to open a .jef file. The one I have is not working and I even deleted the old app, but it still won't change anything....
  10. how do I change the default apps for a file type?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do I change the default apps for a file type?: I know how to go to default apps and change default apps for a file type, but for example, I am trying to associate google sheets for .gsheets files or even excel for .gsheets files. Windows 10 has them defaulted to googlesyncdrive and only offers me that option or to go to...