Windows 10: How do I change a drive designation when it now has two designations?

Discus and support How do I change a drive designation when it now has two designations? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I tried to change a drive from F to D. However now it is showing D: F: I tried renaming it, using properties, and a number of other suggestions on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by temarpro, Apr 2, 2023.

1. temarpro Win User

How do I change a drive designation when it now has two designations?

I tried to change a drive from F to D. However now it is showing D: F: I tried renaming it, using properties, and a number of other suggestions on the internet but to no avail. How do I get it to just show D: without the F: behind it?

:)

temarpro, Apr 2, 2023

2. How do I change the letter designation of installed hard drive

Hi, my name is Kelly, and I'm an independent consultant and I'm here to help.

You can change the drive letter designation of your hard drive using the Disk Management utility in Windows. Here are the steps to do so:

Press the Windows key + X and select "Disk Management" from the menu.

Find the hard drive you want to change the letter designation for. It will be listed in the bottom half of the Disk Management window.

Right-click on the partition of the hard drive you want to change the letter for, and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths".

In the window that appears, click "Change".

Select a new drive letter from the drop-down menu.

Click "OK" to save the changes.

If you receive a warning message about programs that may rely on the drive letter, click "Yes" to continue.

Once you have completed these steps, your hard drive will have a new letter designation. It's important to note that changing the letter designation of a drive may affect the functioning of some programs that rely on specific drive letter assignments. Therefore, it is recommended to proceed with caution and backup any important data before making changes.

kelly Lopes1, Apr 2, 2023
  3. JohnCPR Win User
    Incorrect Drive Designations

I have a custom made video editing hex core PC with 10 drives of which 8 are used to increase speed by minimizing reads and writes to the same drive at a time.

• 3 are SSD drives
    • 4 are 7200rpm 1 TB HD configured as 2 RAID 0 for speed to reduces capacity cost versus using SSD.
    • 2 are HD external USB backup drives.
    • 1 is USB3 fast PNY memory stick.

In the Optimize Drive listing, most are correctly designated as SSD or Hard disk drives except for 2 problems as follows:

• The USB3 PNY and 1 SSD drive are shown as Hard disk drives.
    • Two additional \\?\Volume(0c25d959-etc.) are shown as Solid state drives.
    How should I deal with the incorrectly designated items in item 1 and the 2 unknown drives in item 2?

JohnCPR, Apr 2, 2023
  4. How do I change a drive designation when it now has two designations?

Designer Mouse Not Working

Hi Henry,

We understand that your Microsoft designer mouse is working on other devices but not on your Windows 10 PC. This can be an issue with an outdated mouse driver. As an initial troubleshooting step, we suggest that you update the device driver. Here's how:

• Click the Start button, type "device manager" in the search box, and then select Device Manager.
    • In the list of hardware categories, find the device that you want to update, and then double-click the device name.
    • Click the Driver tab, click Update Driver, and then follow the instructions.

Feel free to let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Jennifer Bri, Apr 2, 2023
Thema:

How do I change a drive designation when it now has two designations?

1. How do I change a drive designation when it now has two designations? - Similar Threads - change drive designation

2. How do you change the design of the caret?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you change the design of the caret?: I would like to have the caret customized, instead of normal caret. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-change-the-design-of-the-caret/f4aac5d9-8d9c-4ee6-9080-5b330b22cb41
  3. How do you change the design of the caret?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do you change the design of the caret?: I would like to have the caret customized, instead of normal caret. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-change-the-design-of-the-caret/f4aac5d9-8d9c-4ee6-9080-5b330b22cb41
  4. PowerPoint designer has videos now!?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PowerPoint designer has videos now!?: So I recently saw this video on PowerPoint. Where the guy’s designer tool was far beyond anything I have. It literally put videos for the PowerPoint background. My one only ever does basic images or diagrams. How do I get my designer tool to put these cools videos into my...
  5. How do I change a drive designation when it now has two designations?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I change a drive designation when it now has two designations?: I tried to change a drive from F to D. However now it is showing D: F: I tried renaming it, using properties, and a number of other suggestions on the internet but to no avail. How do I get it to just show D: without the F: behind it?...
  6. How do I change a drive designation when it now has two designations?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change a drive designation when it now has two designations?: I tried to change a drive from F to D. However now it is showing D: F: I tried renaming it, using properties, and a number of other suggestions on the internet but to no avail. How do I get it to just show D: without the F: behind it?...
  7. How do I change the letter designation of installed hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the letter designation of installed hard drive: How do I change the letter designation of my hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-letter-designation-of/25ae7e9a-a829-480a-87c1-e4c3bda742d6
  8. How do I change the letter designation of installed hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change the letter designation of installed hard drive: How do I change the letter designation of my hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-letter-designation-of/25ae7e9a-a829-480a-87c1-e4c3bda742d6
  9. How do I change the letter designation of installed hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. How do I change the designation of a drive from active to inactive?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I change the designation of a drive from active to inactive?: I've been told that my data drive is active. How do I change it to inactive status? 99223