Windows 10: How do I change Chrome user data path?

Discus and support How do I change Chrome user data path? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is there a way I can change the below default Google Chrome User Data path to some selected folder of my choice say in D:\Chrome Data?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by onlytanmoy, Feb 10, 2019.

1. How do I change Chrome user data path?

Is there a way I can change the below default Google Chrome User Data path to some selected folder of my choice say in D:\Chrome Data?

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data

:)

onlytanmoy, Feb 10, 2019
  2. Roohi_Taj Win User

Google Chrome Crahses and suspended in task manager

Hi GSsswuw8,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Could you please help me with the below information:

1. Do you have any antivirus installed on the computer?
    2. Are you aware of making any changes to the computer or browser prior to the issue?

This issue is because of profile data corruption on google chrome or because of cookies, extensions, plugins and History. I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to resolve this issue.

Method 1: Rename Google chrome file.

Before proceeding I would suggest you end all the task related to Google Chrome from task manager.

Step 1: Rename Chrome User Data file.

1. Press Windows and
      E key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Navigate to %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome.
    3. Search for User data folder. Rename this folder to UserData.old
    4. Open the chrome now and check if it is working.

Note:
    The new user data folder will be created automatically, but
    new profile will not have any of your previous data in it. To access the data back, try signing out and signing in back to the application. Or you have to manually copy the data from old profile.

Step 2: Copy the previous data to New Profile.

I would suggest you end all the task related to Google Chrome from task manager.
    Then follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows and
      E key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Navigate to %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\UserData.old\Default.
    3. Open a new tab and navigate to: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default. (Make sure this is the new user data folder)
    4. Now copy the file one by one, once the copy is done. In-between Reopen Chrome browser and check if there is issue same issue.
    5. If the issue reoccurs, then the culprit is one of the file copied above.

Method 2:
    Troubleshoot on google chrome.

Note: The Uninstall and Reinstall option might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added, this will also clear the history, favorites, cookies and password. We recommend
    that you note these sites and settings before you use the Reset on chrome.

I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned in the article on
    Fix Chrome if it crashes or won't open.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Feb 10, 2019
  3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Feb 10, 2019
  4. How do I change Chrome user data path?

Chrome glitch

Hello Ralph,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description on one of the three users Chrome is not working.
    I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• The account on which you are facing issue with Chrome, does it have the administrator permission?
    • Have you check with other browser? Was the result same?
    • Is the issue specific to only one application or facing issue with other application too?

First, I would suggest you to use Internet Explorer and see if it brings any difference.
    Here are the steps through which you can use Internet Explorer.

• Press the Windows key.

• Type Internet Explorer in the search box.

• Right click on Internet Explorer
      (Desktop app).

• Select Pint to task bar.

• Try to use Internet Explorer from there and see if it brings any difference.

If you still want to use Chrome then I would suggest you to open the application Chrome in administrator mode and see if it brings any difference. Here are the steps through which you can open Chrome in Administrator mode.

• Press the Windows key or click on Start icon.
    • Type Google Chrome.
    • Right click on Google Chrome and select the option to Run As Administrator.
    • If everything works fine by running chrome in administrator mode then you may pin it to the task bar.

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Feb 10, 2019
Thema:

How do I change Chrome user data path?

1. How do I change Chrome user data path? - Similar Threads - change Chrome user

2. How do i change user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do i change user: Ive tried to move user accounts off C: drive. Than i made a new user to see if files appear on the mew location. They didn't nor did they appear on C drive. I restarted the PC thinking it might solvr the issue.On login screen only the newly made test account is visible....
  3. How do i change user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i change user: Ive tried to move user accounts off C: drive. Than i made a new user to see if files appear on the mew location. They didn't nor did they appear on C drive. I restarted the PC thinking it might solvr the issue.On login screen only the newly made test account is visible....
  4. How do i change user

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. How to change user path without chaos with apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change user path without chaos with apps: Hi, I want to change my path for the user, but I'm worrying about messing up programs.Can you help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-user-path-without-chaos-with-apps/964c45f7-1193-455e-bd12-1b8811a0b9d2
  6. How to change user path without chaos with apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change user path without chaos with apps: Hi, I want to change my path for the user, but I'm worrying about messing up programs.Can you help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-user-path-without-chaos-with-apps/964c45f7-1193-455e-bd12-1b8811a0b9d2
  7. How do i shorten a PATH and not lose my data in win 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do i shorten a PATH and not lose my data in win 10?: i have backups with >256 characters how do reorganize without losing my data? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-shorten-a-path-and-not-lose-my-data-in/13b41854-689f-4770-920d-98c40ce5df25
  8. How do I delete a user and their data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I delete a user and their data: I have 2 administrators, maybe 3. I need to delete all but one to use and the main data that I use. HELP. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-delete-a-user-and-their-data/7d19bbab-9388-4692-b236-effd287d16c0
  9. How do I change Chrome user data path?

in Browsers and Email
    How do I change Chrome user data path?: Is there a way I can change the below default Google Chrome User Data path to some selected folder of my choice say in D:\Chrome Data? C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data 126963
  10. how do i change toolbarto google chrome

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how do i change toolbarto google chrome: help meplease https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-toolbarto-google-chrome/64c0b2b7-7eb3-4c94-b867-c643a2249ff7