Windows 10: How do I change default location for file storage?

Discus and support How do I change default location for file storage? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I need to store files at a location other than my SSD boot drive. I right click on a folder icon e.g., "downloads" and go to properties/location and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by lbeck, Aug 16, 2015.

1. lbeck Win User

How do I change default location for file storage?

I need to store files at a location other than my SSD boot drive. I right click on a folder icon e.g., "downloads" and go to properties/location and change the drive letter. I go to the icon, right click and the location has been changed.

However, downloads continue to go to C:\users/myname/downloads.

How do I change where files are sent by default?

Thanks,

Lee

:)

lbeck, Aug 16, 2015

2. How do you change the default location in File Explorer when selecting a file?

I don't know if you can even change this, but it's always been one of my biggest peeves and I can't figure it out on my own. My issue is, for example, when I am prompted to select a file from my hard drive, File Explorer automatically opens to some random
    folder that is irrelevant to what I am trying to select. If I were uploading a word document, for example, sometimes when I go to select a file the window would automatically open under "My Music" or something else randomly.

I would like to know if I can change this somehow. If I can make it open to my Quick Access every time that would be ideal so I don't have to backtrack through my files every time I want to select something.

And to clarify, I'm not talking about File Explorer itself; I'm talking about when the "Open" window pops up when you are, say, uploading files online.

Thanks for any input.

MattArmbrust, Aug 16, 2015
  3. How do you change the default location in File Explorer when selecting a file?

Hi Matt,

For your concern to change the default location in File Explorer when selecting a file, we encourage you to submit your concern using
    Feedback Hub. You can either vote on an existing submission or submit a new concern. When you submit a feedback item, we gather additional details and information about it. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions
    in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. Please revisit frequently to see the status of your feedback items.

In order to submit a new feedback, follow the below steps:

• On a Windows 10 device, search for “Feedback Hub” in Cortana search, then launch the app.
    • Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, then press + Add new feedback.
    • Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant, and choose an appropriate category and subcategory.
    • Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring (or
      Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you’re done.
    • Once you’ve completed the form and monitoring, click Submit.
    • Click Continue using Feedback Hub.
    • Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you have submitted (it may take a while to appear).
    • Open the item you submitted, then click Share.
    • Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response.

Regards.

Michael Gall, Aug 16, 2015
  4. How do I change default location for file storage?

You can change the Default Download Directory by adding a Registry entry. Here's an article on how to do that...

garyowhere, Aug 17, 2015
  5. simrick Win User
    Hi Lee, and welcome to TenForums!

Here are a couple of tutorials for you to have a look at:
    [url='https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/change-default-downloads-folder-in-microsoft-edge-in-windows-10.7761/

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html[/url]

Hope that helps!

simrick, Aug 17, 2015
  6. Edwin New Member
    How do I change default location for file storage? [​IMG]

Edwin, Aug 17, 2015
  7. lbeck Win User
    Thanks to all. I believe that I have the clue thanks to the picture from Edwin. I've changed the storage locations.

lbeck, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How do I change default location for file storage?

1. How do I change default location for file storage? - Similar Threads - change default location

2. Storage location changed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage location changed: Hi, my C drive was almost full so as suggested in one of the questions here I just changed my "where new content is saved" from C to D drive. Does it mean all my "user" data is now moved to D drive or everything I save from now on will be saved in the new loc.And also what...
  3. Changing default file location

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing default file location: Dear All, Is there any DOS command that can change the default of C:\Users\ to another drive location ?Pls advise Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-default-file-location/b3587943-e145-4402-8e37-a92ebe876302
  4. Changing default file location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing default file location: Dear All, Is there any DOS command that can change the default of C:\Users\ to another drive location ?Pls advise Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-default-file-location/b3587943-e145-4402-8e37-a92ebe876302
  5. Changing default file location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. How do I change the desktop location back to its default location?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I change the desktop location back to its default location?: Hi I have a ZBook 17 G3 running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. I was copying some files to my external HD. I don't know what I did, but somehow I changed the Desktop's location to the External drive. How do I correct this? I see where to change the location but I'm not...
  7. How do I change default Install location?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I change default Install location?: I almost followed a tutorial which uses regedit and thanksfully I read the comments before restarting the PC (the comments were telling that the tutorial broke their computer) I switched the location to D drive for a brief moment and immediately switched back as soon as I saw...
  8. Changing default storage locations

Changing default storage locations: Every time I download any new music, its stored automatically in the file explorer, C:. when I go to change that default location, it doesn't give ant other option to save anywhere else but drive C:. This is very frustrating as they are then not found in the media player to...
  9. Changing default storage location and reverting back

Changing default storage location and reverting back: Hi, I just got a newly PC installed with Windows 10 Pro. I changed some default locations for storing documents, videos, music etc. to point to another drive instead of C. This is working fine. Then I also changed the default storage location of new applications and...
  10. How to change default storage location from SSD to HDD.

How to change default storage location from SSD to HDD.: I have a SSD(C:) and a HDD(G:) installed in my PC, I want to use the SSD for my more important files and things I want to boot faster and I want to use the HDD for general storage, the only problem is everything that I download defaults to downloading into my SSD(C:), I don't...