Windows 10: How do I change default search engine used by Search box to Google

Discus and support How do I change default search engine used by Search box to Google in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Although I have Google set as the default browser, whenever I type a search in the Search box at the bottom left, the search result is displayed as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sigurd, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Sigurd Win User

How do I change default search engine used by Search box to Google

Although I have Google set as the default browser, whenever I type a search in the Search box at the bottom left, the search result is displayed as a Bing result. This seems to have become more of an issue after today's Windows update (15 August 2021). Now running Windows 10 OS Build 19042.1165 I have set Google as the default bowser and it shows it as the default Search engine but it still seems to use BIng.

:)

Sigurd, Aug 15, 2021

2. changing default search engine to google from Bing in IE Edge

To change the default search engine on Windows Edge.

Step One: Open Microsoft Edge

Step Two: type in the search engine into the browser address such as (www.google.com)

Step Three: Click on the three dots top right below the x (close button)

Step Four: Click on settings

Step Five: Scroll and click on Advance Settings

Step Six: Scroll to Search in the address bar with click within the box

Step Seven: Click on Add NEw

Step Eight: Your search engine should be listed Click on it

Final Step: select your choice of:

Add as default

Add

Rico Novice, Aug 15, 2021
  3. Cecil_IL Win User
    changing default search engine to google from Bing in IE Edge

To change the default search engine on Windows Edge.

Step One: Open Microsoft Edge

Step Two: type in the search engine into the browser address such as (www.google.com)

Step Three: Click on the three dots top right below the x (close button)

Step Four: Click on settings

Step Five: Scroll and click on Advance Settings

Step Six: Scroll to Search in the address bar with click within the box

Step Seven: Click on Add NEw

Step Eight: Your search engine should be listed Click on it

Final Step: select your choice of:

Add as default

Add

Tried this 26 Nov 2015 to make Google.com my search engine and received report "Couldn't add this provider"

Cecil_IL, Aug 15, 2021
  4. Shaurija Win User

Windows 10: Search Engine changed to Google but still searches with Yahoo: Firefox, Edge, Chrome

I can change the default search engine to Google on Firefox/Chrome/Edge, but whenever I search something, it still searches with Yahoo despite the default being Google.

My Process:

Firefox:

Step 1.

Click on the Magnifying Glass in the Search Box: Go to Change Search Settings

Default Search Engine: Select Google

Google now shows as the default search engine. Even when I open the magnifying glass on the search box, Google is shown as the search engine being used- But when I actually search, it searches with Yahoo. The only way I can successfully use the search box
    to search with Google is to take it off default so that I can click the google symbol when I open magnifying glass (when I click the symbol while it's the default, it searches with Yahoo instead).

Step 2.

Go back to Change Search Settings

Remove Yahoo from the One-Click Search Engines

The problem persists anyway.

Chrome:

Click on the stack of lines on the right: Go to Settings

Under Search: Click on Manage Search Engines...

Hover over Google: Make Default

Hover over Yahoo: Click on the X and remove it

Click Done

Search in the Omnibox and... It still uses Yahoo.

Microsoft Edge:

Click on the 3 Dots on the Right: Go to Settings

Go to View Advanced Settings

Find "Search in the address bar with" and click Change

Open Google's Homepage so that it can discover it

Click on the discovered Google and Select: Set as Default

Click on Yahoo and Select: Remove

(Bing, the only other search engine provided in the list, can't be removed even though it isn't the default search engine)

Still searches with Yahoo.

Please Help.

Shaurija, Aug 15, 2021
Thema:

1. How do I change default search engine used by Search box to Google - Similar Threads - change default search

2. Default search engine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default search engine: I use google chrome. I set my default search engine to be google again and again and yet Yahoo barges in out of nowhere. I don't want that to happen. I hate opening search settings everytime I want to search something. It is not fair that yahoo is pushed again and again for...
  3. Default search engine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default search engine: I use google chrome. I set my default search engine to be google again and again and yet Yahoo barges in out of nowhere. I don't want that to happen. I hate opening search settings everytime I want to search something. It is not fair that yahoo is pushed again and again for...
  4. Default Search Engine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default Search Engine: Hello I Use Google As My Default Page In Microsoft Edge However My Default Search Engine Is Bing How Do I Change That To Google ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-search-engine/29447819-e73d-4b41-ba12-14099bc501c5
  5. Default Search Engine

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default Search Engine: Hello I Use Google As My Default Page In Microsoft Edge However My Default Search Engine Is Bing How Do I Change That To Google ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-search-engine/29447819-e73d-4b41-ba12-14099bc501c5
  6. How to change default search engines?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change default search engines?: Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask this question. I use google chrome as my search engine but for some reason yesterday when I opened a new tab, Yahoo was the browser. I went to my settings to change chrome back to being the default browser, but it said chrome is...
  7. Search engine default

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search engine default: How can I change the default search engine? It currently seems to be Yahoo. I would prefer Google. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-engine-default/3a6ec862-a79b-4472-a301-1992dc648f96
  8. Default Search Engine

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Default Search Engine: I've been using Windows 10 for some time and the only thing I didn't like in it is the inability to change default search engine for Cortana and Search. I don't wanna use Bing as my default search engine! I did some search on google to find some source for doing this, but...
  9. Change Default Search Engine in Google Chrome in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Search Engine in Google Chrome in Windows: How to: Change Default Search Engine in Google Chrome in Windows How to Change Default Search Engine in Google Chrome in Windows In Google Chrome, you can use the address bar (omnibox) as a search box. It automatically uses Google by default, but you can set another...
  10. Change Default Search Engine in Firefox

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Search Engine in Firefox: How to: Change Default Search Engine in Firefox How to Change Default Search Engine in Firefox [img] Information Starting with Firefox Quantum (version 57), Google is used as the default search engine in the address bar and search bar. Firefox comes with the...