Windows 10: How do I change HDD from MBR to GPT so I can install Windows 11?

Discus and support How do I change HDD from MBR to GPT so I can install Windows 11? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Currently Running Windows 10 Pro. The HDD needs to be GPT to install Windows 11. Otherwise, PC is Windows 11 capable. I'm told I have to do a clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by LodgingMantis16, Jan 28, 2022.

1. How do I change HDD from MBR to GPT so I can install Windows 11?

Currently Running Windows 10 Pro. The HDD needs to be GPT to install Windows 11. Otherwise, PC is Windows 11 capable. I'm told I have to do a clean install of Win 10 Pro to change the HDD formatting from MBR to GPT. Then, once notified that the PC is Win 11 capable, I could update and get Windows 11 Pro. I have downloaded and created a Win 11 install disk but can't determine what version of Win 11 it is. I would prefer to just install Win 11 Pro and only have to rebuild the machine once. Suggestions?

:)

LodgingMantis16, Jan 28, 2022

2. GPT vs MBR for SSD OS Disk ? (win7 install)

If I have UEFI BIOS, I'm going to use GPT. Only reason why I wouldn't is because the drive is shared between new and old computers (MBR has broader compatibility support). I wrote a guide how to install Windows on GPT here:
    Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

No. Either you install on GPT via EFI boot or you intall MBR via BIOS boot. You can't install Windows and change it later.

Not only does GPT support booting to partitions larger than 2 TB, it also means the computer is booted using EFI which means it has a lot more memory to work with during startup. It should theoretically mean startup is quicker on EFI/GPT than BIOS/MBR.

FordGT90Concept, Jan 28, 2022
  3. GPT vs MBR for SSD OS Disk ? (win7 install)

So I cannot use all the new bios UI and fancy pre-boot evironiment if i don't use UEFI-boot ? With or without GPT?

I just want to use the UEFI without GPT: so can I UEFI-boot and install win7 with MBR?

Now I actually asked the correct question I wanted. Sorry it took time to figure out.

RuskiSnajper, Jan 28, 2022
  4. How do I change HDD from MBR to GPT so I can install Windows 11?

About MBR and GPT

If I want to install Windows 10, I want to know about format my thumb drive to MBR or GPT, but my laptop is Acer Aspire E5-571G with UEFI system and HDD are GPT partition style, so I need to format my thumb drive to GPT for copying windows installation
    and install it to HDD with GPT? (Note: I have Rufus for create a bootable USB drive)

BillyRazOr, Jan 28, 2022
Thema:

How do I change HDD from MBR to GPT so I can install Windows 11?

1. How do I change HDD from MBR to GPT so I can install Windows 11? - Similar Threads - change HDD MBR

2. How can i clone windows from MBR HDD to GPT SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can i clone windows from MBR HDD to GPT SSD?: How can i clone windows from MBR HDD to GPT SSD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-clone-windows-from-mbr-hdd-to-gpt-ssd/cc3c387f-7c9c-495f-9e58-bc79f0da7a59
  3. How can i clone windows from MBR HDD to GPT SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can i clone windows from MBR HDD to GPT SSD?: How can i clone windows from MBR HDD to GPT SSD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-clone-windows-from-mbr-hdd-to-gpt-ssd/cc3c387f-7c9c-495f-9e58-bc79f0da7a59
  4. How can i clone windows from MBR HDD to GPT SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. can i clone windows from MBR HDD to GPT SSD?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can i clone windows from MBR HDD to GPT SSD?: I want to clone my windows from my MBR HDD to my GPT SSD, is that possible?And if i can, do i need to change Bios Mode from CSM to UEFI or not? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-clone-windows-from-mbr-hdd-to-gpt-ssd/a8ab0e28-6345-409e-943d-6ad5d6ca2d41
  6. can i clone windows from MBR HDD to GPT SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can i clone windows from MBR HDD to GPT SSD?: I want to clone my windows from my MBR HDD to my GPT SSD, is that possible?And if i can, do i need to change Bios Mode from CSM to UEFI or not? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-clone-windows-from-mbr-hdd-to-gpt-ssd/a8ab0e28-6345-409e-943d-6ad5d6ca2d41
  7. can i clone windows from MBR HDD to GPT SSD?

8. How do I change HDD from MBR to GPT so I can install Windows 11?

How do I change HDD from MBR to GPT so I can install Windows 11?: Currently Running Windows 10 Pro. The HDD needs to be GPT to install Windows 11. Otherwise, PC is Windows 11 capable. I'm told I have to do a clean install of Win 10 Pro to change the HDD formatting from MBR to GPT. Then, once notified that the PC is Win 11 capable, I could...
  9. How can I change from MBR to GPT and vice versa from GPT to MBR in Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How can I change from MBR to GPT and vice versa from GPT to MBR in Windows 10 Home: Hello, Please be nice to tell me to install Windows 10 Home how should the partition be ?. MBR or GPT ?. How can I change the MBR partition in GPT and vice versa from GPT to MBR. Thank you! Wait for response! A good day!...
  10. Can I clean install windows 8 onto mbr HDD with GPT booting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I clean install windows 8 onto mbr HDD with GPT booting: Can I clean install windows 8 onto mbr hard disk with the installation that's booting out of GPT partition ? 99599