Windows 10: How do I change my user name (Home Edition)?

Discus and support How do I change my user name (Home Edition)? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Been Googling this half the afternoon - still can't do it! I haven't used Windows 10 before today, when I got a new laptop delivered, so am a real... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by martinlest, Sep 26, 2018.

1. How do I change my user name (Home Edition)?

Been Googling this half the afternoon - still can't do it! I haven't used Windows 10 before today, when I got a new laptop delivered, so am a real beginner. Though, that said, quite a bit of it is close enough to Windows 7 (which all my other computers run) that it's not as opaque as I'd feared..

However, I can't work out how to change my user name. I entered my email address at some prompt at first run, and my user name is now Marti instead of Martin. There is a folder called 'Marti' in the User folder. I'd really rather add the 'n'...

I read that going into user accounts, there is an option to change the user name, but that is missing in my user accounts window

How do I change my user name (Home Edition)? [​IMG]

Suffice it to say that nothing I have found works, or is applicable to the Home Edition. I have ended up going into a Microsoft account management page, but I am asked to log in to a Microsoft account (do I have one?? Not as far as I am aware). Surely there must be some way I can do this without signing up for a Microsoft account (no idea what the account does anyway).

So how do I get my name right? Why does such a simple thing have to be so complex? I have wasted well over an hour already...

Thanks for any help,

Martin

:)

martinlest, Sep 26, 2018
  2. Jessen P Win User

Query about changing the User Accounts name

Hi Jerry,

Perform the steps mentioned below to change the user account name.

• Sign in to the Your info page on the Microsoft account website.

• Under your name, select Edit name.
      If there’s no name listed yet, select Add name.
    • Edit or add the name you want, then choose Save.
      Your Microsoft account name will start to appear or change everywhere you use it.

Please revert if you still cannot change the user account name.

Thank you.

Jessen P, Sep 26, 2018
  3. How To Change User Name?

Hi,

Changing your user name can be done using either the Settings app or Control Panel, depending on the user account you're using. Follow the steps below:

Using a Microsoft user account

• Open Settings.
    • Click Accounts.
    • Select Your info on the left pane.
    • Click Manage my Microsoft account.
    • In the main page click the Edit name link.
    • Edit your name, then click Save.
    Using a Local account

• Open Control Panel.
    • Click the Change account type link
    • Select your local account.
    • Click Change the account name.
    • Enter your new name, then click Change Name.
    Let us know if you need anything else. We're here to help.

Martin Bar, Sep 26, 2018
  4. How do I change my user name (Home Edition)?

How to change User name on Windows 10

Hi Davit,

I will certainly help you in changing the User name on Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to change the User name:

• Press Windows logo + R keys to open the run command, type
      netplwiz
      and click on Ok.
    • On the Users tab, click on Properties to change the user name and then click on
      Apply.
    Kindly get back to us for any further assistance on Windows 10. We will be glad to help.

Thank you.

Sudeep Aprameyan, Sep 26, 2018
Thema:

How do I change my user name (Home Edition)?

1. How do I change my user name (Home Edition)? - Similar Threads - change user name

2. How do I change the name of my User Folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the name of my User Folder?: I recently had to reinstall Windows 10 on my machine, and for some reason, it put "SwanP" as my Username folder. I want to change this to "Annabelle Baradine", but it says "Access Denied". How do I do this without having to reinstall Windows 10 again?...
  3. How do I change the name of my Users folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the name of my Users folder?: I was wondering how I can change the name of my user/user library. The name "wildh" I would want to change it, but I don't know how, it's not listed anywhere in the user accounts. I have 3 pictures attached, one of the 3 pictures shows the only account on this computer on the...
  4. How do I change the name of my Users folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change the name of my Users folder?: I was wondering how I can change the name of my user/user library. The name "wildh" I would want to change it, but I don't know how, it's not listed anywhere in the user accounts. I have 3 pictures attached, one of the 3 pictures shows the only account on this computer on the...
  5. how do I change my Microsoft User Name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do I change my Microsoft User Name: How do I change my Microsoft Account USERNAME please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-my-microsoft-user-name/b69524ef-b83e-45e3-be7b-b68cda283595
  6. User Name - How Do I Change

in Windows 10 Customization
    User Name - How Do I Change: The user name that appears to others, lets say on Zoom, or other game sites, is not what I want and I want to change it. I have gone to ZOOM My Account, Profile, etc and identified the username that appears is fine. I think the name that appears is a "computer name". I...
  7. How do I change my "users" name?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I change my "users" name?: I just noticed whenever I save a file and look for the file path to something, its been a number instead of my name. So it looks like C: > Users > 46374> etc.. is there a way to change it to my actual name instead of this? submitted by /u/braaan92 [link] [comments]...
  8. How do I change a user name.

How do I change a user name.: When I was reinstalling Windows 10, what a hassle, I had to use Windows 7. Windows 7 during install asked for a user name and I gave it a number "3" thinking Windows 10 would ask for user name, I was wrong. So I am listed as "3" and I want to change to my name. How do I do...
  9. How do I change my user name (Home Edition)?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I change my user name (Home Edition)?: Been Googling this half the afternoon - still can't do it! I haven't used Windows 10 before today, when I got a new laptop delivered, so am a real beginner. Though, that said, quite a bit of it is close enough to Windows 7 (which all my other computers run) that it's not as...
  10. How do I change my users name.

How do I change my users name.: take it with this, The username is taken by the old owner. [img] Since I want to rename it, It doesn't let me edit it. I don't know if that will stick like that forever. 79248