Windows 10: How do I change name of user folder from default? (C:>Users>USER)

Discus and support How do I change name of user folder from default? (C:>Users>USER) in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; i just got a new laptop and the users folder is stuck with the name as just "user". i thought that since i have my microsoft account on the laptop it... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by nmattph, Aug 6, 2019.

1. nmattph Win User

How do I change name of user folder from default? (C:>Users>USER)

i just got a new laptop and the users folder is stuck with the name as just "user". i thought that since i have my microsoft account on the laptop it would change the user folder name automatically using the first 5 letters of my email (as it did on my old computer), but it didn't do this. did i do something wrong? and how can i make the name of my user folder the first 5 letters of my microsoft email without screwing everything up?

How do I change name of user folder from default? (C:>Users>USER) [​IMG]

How do I change name of user folder from default? (C:>Users>USER) [​IMG]

(scribbled out my email itself in red)
    is it because my microsoft name itself has special characters in it or something? i'm sorry if the answer is painfully obvious or i'm doing something wrong, i'm a complete dummy when it comes to this sorta thing. *cry

:)

nmattph, Aug 6, 2019

2. User Account folder name

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with changing the folder name under Users folder in Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open the File Explorer and double click on C drive.

2. Open Users folder from the list.

3. Click on the user name folder and then tap on F2 Key.

4. Change the name of the folder and hit on Enter Key.

5. It will ask for Administrator Permission and click on Ok.

6. Folder name will be changed.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Aug 6, 2019
  3. Changing name of User-folder in C:

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10.We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

Unfortunately, you cannot change the "C:\Users\(user-name)" folder's name. Instead, you can create a new administrator account with the name you want, then copy all of the contents of your old user accounts "C:\Users\(user-name)"
    user folders into the corresponding new account's "C:\Users\(user-name)" user folders.

After everything checks out ok, you can then delete the old account from within the new one.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Aug 6, 2019
  4. How do I change name of user folder from default? (C:>Users>USER)

Changing name of User-folder in C:

Hi Kelly,

When you create a new user account in windows 10, it will not give you the option to pick the name of the folder, instead a new folder will be created automatically in
    C:\Users\(user-name)" folder's name.

Now you just have to copy all of the contents of your old user accounts "C:\Users\(user-name)" user folders into the corresponding new account's "C:\Users\(user-name)" user folders.

In future, if you have any issues related to Windows, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Aug 6, 2019
Thema:

How do I change name of user folder from default? (C:>Users>USER)

1. How do I change name of user folder from default? (C:>Users>USER) - Similar Threads - change name user

2. I want to change the user folder name in "C:\Users\".

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to change the user folder name in "C:\Users\".: The name of the user folder is the first 5 characters of my email. I want to change that to my name. How can I do that?I am using my Microsoft account for Windows 11.This is disturbing my work as the command prompt also shows the user name, which is the first 5 characters of...
  3. I want to change the user folder name in "C:\Users\".

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I want to change the user folder name in "C:\Users\".: The name of the user folder is the first 5 characters of my email. I want to change that to my name. How can I do that?I am using my Microsoft account for Windows 11.This is disturbing my work as the command prompt also shows the user name, which is the first 5 characters of...
  4. How to change the user's name under C:\Users folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change the user's name under C:\Users folder: Hi,I recently reset my windows laptop, and after I made a local account, I think I might've accidentally made a typo. My user name Not in the lock/login screen but under the C:\Users folder was supposed to be called Splash, but instead it shows splas. I tried to rename the...
  5. How to change the user's name under C:\Users folder

How to change the user's name under C:\Users folder: Hi,I recently reset my windows laptop, and after I made a local account, I think I might've accidentally made a typo. My user name Not in the lock/login screen but under the C:\Users folder was supposed to be called Splash, but instead it shows splas. I tried to rename the...
  6. How to change the user's name under C:\Users folder

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. How to change User Folder Name MYNAME in C;/Users ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change User Folder Name MYNAME in C;/Users ?: Hi,I would like to update the user folder name.Please Guide ! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-user-folder-name-myname-in-cusers/32ef3ffc-16a4-4785-b7ea-b6c5deac65bc
  8. How to change User Folder Name MYNAME in C;/Users ?

How to change User Folder Name MYNAME in C;/Users ?: Hi,I would like to update the user folder name.Please Guide ! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-user-folder-name-myname-in-cusers/32ef3ffc-16a4-4785-b7ea-b6c5deac65bc
  9. Change folder name of "user" under C:/Users/user

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change folder name of "user" under C:/Users/user: I misspelled by name during installation of windows and now i want to change the name of the folder.What is the possible way to do so ?Thank in advance- Sagnik Saha...
  10. Change user name and user folder name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change user name and user folder name: My Lenovo/Windows setup has chosen a stupid user name for me, shortened from the first letters of my MS account ID. How do I safely change my user name on my PC, and more importantly, my c:\users\user folder name whilst maintaining my Windows account name for logging in etc?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how do i change user names in C:/Users