Windows 10: How do I change number of processors in recovery?

Discus and support How do I change number of processors in recovery? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I accidentally changed number of processors in System Configuration to 1 and Windows crashes when trying to boot even in safe mode like it does not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by PluemPlu, Feb 2, 2023.

1. PluemPlu Win User

How do I change number of processors in recovery?

I accidentally changed number of processors in System Configuration to 1 and Windows crashes when trying to boot even in safe mode like it does not support single-processor PCs, is there a way to change it back?

:)

PluemPlu, Feb 2, 2023

2. Can't fix MSCONFIG Processor setting after changing number of processors to 8

I'm using Windows 10 Pro.
    I was looking for ways to increase performance and I came across some postings on MSCONFIG. I navigated to the option Boot/Advanced Options/Number of Processors. When I checked it, I saw that I could change the number from 1 to 8. I did so and rebooted. Now, when I boot I get in an endless loop of Windows Automatic Repair telling me that I have a configuration error and "Attempting Repairs". I'd like to change the Processors back from 8 to 1.
    When I choose Advanced Options \ Troubleshoot \ Advanced Options I receive a menu of choices.

• Menu Options
    • When I select "System Restore \Restore Point" for a few selections I get the message "System Restore did not complete successfully. An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x800070003)"
    • When I select "Go back to the previous version" I receive the message "We ran into a problem and won't be able to take you back to the previous version of Windows."
    • When I select "System Image Recovery" I receive the message "Windows cannot find a system image on this computer."
    • When I select "Start Repair" I get an error with that as well.

I've also taken the following steps already.

• Other Steps:
    • Windows with Command Prompt (It Boots from drive X", and the
      original drive "C" is now "E")
    • net user administrator /active:yes
    • CD E:\Windows\System32\config MSCONFIG (I Receive the error: "You do
      not have sufficient privileges to run System Configuration. Please
      run this utility as a user in the Administrators group."
    • CD
      E:\Windows\System32\config ICACLS E:\Windows\System32\config*.*
      /INHERITANCE:r /GRANT:r AdministratorHow do I change number of processors in recovery? :(F) /F /C
    • Regedit
    • (I point to
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE)
    • File / Load Hive
    • (I Navigate to)
      E:\Windows\system32\config\SOFTWARE
    • Open
    • (I receive the message
      "SOFTWARE You don't have permission to open this file. Contact the
      file owner or an administrator to obtain permission")

How can I change the number of processor settings when I'm in Windows Automatic Repair?

user3138025, Feb 2, 2023
  3. btarunr Win User
    Intel Gives Core i3 and Core i5 Dual-Core Processors K0 Stepping Update

Intel is giving some existing 32 nm "Clarkdale" based Core i3 and Core i5 processors an update. The processors will transition to the new K0 stepping from the existing C2 stepping. The parts that will be made on the K0 silicon are Core i3 models 530 (new sSPEC: SLBX7), 540 (new sSPEC: SLBTD) and Core i5 models 650 (new sSPEC: SLBTJ), 660/661 (SLBTK/SLBTB), 670 (SLBTL). Newer and upcoming models such as the i3-550, i3-560, i5-665K, and i5-680 are already being built on the K0 stepping die. Motherboards will require a BIOS update to support the new K0 stepping processors.

The K0 stepping change includes the following highlights:
    • New S-spec and MM numbers for the converting products
    • Extended CPUID will change from 0x00020652 to 0x00020655
    • Host RevID will change from 0x12 to 0x18
    • K0 stepping package is pin compatible with C2 stepping package
    • Adds Processor Context ID (PCID) support
    The revised older SKUs that are built on K0 stepping will be market-available by October 16.

btarunr, Feb 2, 2023
  4. Tenforo Active Member

What's the difference between these two processors.

the first one is stepping E3, the second one is stepping E6. whats stepping?

No processor design is perfect. The first version of a new microprocessor product is the A-0 step. Later, as improvements are made to the product for functional (bug) fixes or manufacturing improvements, the stepping number will increase.

Generally speaking, minor changes result in an increased number, (that is, A-1 to A-2) while more complex changes result in the letter being changed (that is, A-2 to B-0).

If new steppings come out with fewer bugs you are usually not eligible to RMA for a newer processor. Most of these bugs are supposed to be worked around in the motherboard design, BIOS (drivers), and applications.

Intel produces a detailed document called a "Specification Update" for each of their processor models that covers all of the various steppings, and lists exactly which bugs (they call them "errata") each one has and a description of the bug. For example you can download the Pentium IV specification Update from Intel at http://developer.intel.com/design/pentium4/specupdt/
    A similar document is available for every processor they make.

AMD uses the term "revision numbers" to refer to steppings for its Athlon and other processors. To see the errata for a given AMD processor, look up its revision guide, which lists the processor revision numbers and the errata which apply to each revision. For example, the revision guide for the AMD Athlon XP model 8 processor is available from AMD at
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/25703.pdf

what does this all mean, well you are likely to have less compatablity problems with the newer version of the processor, but as most motherboard manufactures are good with bios updates, this should not be a problem.

Tenforo, Feb 2, 2023
Thema:

1. How do I change number of processors in recovery? - Similar Threads - change number processors

2. How do I change a phone number

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change a phone number: How do I change my phone number https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-a-phone-number/016558cc-a86b-4c84-a36c-3e74ec7d1230
  3. How do I change a phone number

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change a phone number: How do I change my phone number https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-a-phone-number/016558cc-a86b-4c84-a36c-3e74ec7d1230
  4. Is it safe to change the number processors?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to change the number processors?: Hey...I recently bought this Dell Latitude 2nd hand windows 10 laptop but it lags a lot according to its 8gb Ram...So on youtube i saw changing the number of processors from msconfig will make the laptop faster, but i am bit scared to try, so i wanted to confirm if it is safe...
  5. Is it safe to change the number processors?

Is it safe to change the number processors?: Hey...I recently bought this Dell Latitude 2nd hand windows 10 laptop but it lags a lot according to its 8gb Ram...So on youtube i saw changing the number of processors from msconfig will make the laptop faster, but i am bit scared to try, so i wanted to confirm if it is safe...
  6. Is it safe to change the number processors?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. How do I change number of processors in recovery?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change number of processors in recovery?: I accidentally changed number of processors in System Configuration to 1 and Windows crashes when trying to boot even in safe mode like it does not support single-processor PCs, is there a way to change it back?...
  8. Number of Processors changed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Number of Processors changed: Hi,I have a problem..So, I don't like to put my 4 processors working so I only use 3 processors.today, decided to make the 4 processors run all together, but when I went to the system config, its not there, there only 3 available processors??I already pressed that arrow, but...
  9. Number of Processors changed

Number of Processors changed: Hi,I have a problem..So, I don't like to put my 4 processors working so I only use 3 processors.today, decided to make the 4 processors run all together, but when I went to the system config, its not there, there only 3 available processors??I already pressed that arrow, but...
  10. Can I change the number of processors with command prompt?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I change the number of processors with command prompt?: I want to fix a problem with my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-change-the-number-of-processors-with-command/184c90ab-94d7-4e5c-a9e5-c4550750cc95