Windows 10: How do I change ownership and add user recursively?

Discus and support How do I change ownership and add user recursively? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] So I ran this command "icacls test /setowner test /t" (note that "test" is my user account) to change the ownership recursively to all the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/unix21311, Nov 24, 2020.

1. How do I change ownership and add user recursively?

How do I change ownership and add user recursively? QtFNX-ATOBgAMaWSX0nfeMUMsdD5XIjS-cd33wncVL8.jpg

So I ran this command "icacls test /setowner test /t" (note that "test" is my user account) to change the ownership recursively to all the folders/files.

While this has worked, my "test" user account has not been added to all files/folders.

If I right click on the file/folder -> properties -> Security see my account "test" has not been added.

https://preview.redd.it/vy7ozjjbv61...bp&s=750c320d24b1aa99016abac8859a9b076abcac9a

How do I also add recursively my "test" account to all the files/folders?

submitted by /u/unix21311
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/unix21311, Nov 24, 2020

2. Unable to delete windowsapps folders created after changing location of microsoft app installation.

Do exactly these steps. UI based take ownership seems to have some issues.

1. Admin cmd prompt to take ownership - (takeown /f WindowsApps /r /d y)
    2. Go to advanced perms on folder.
    a. Disable inheritance (recursively).
    b. Remove each user/account from access list one at a time, leave active MSA owner with full perms.
    3. rd /s

Scott Herrboldt, Nov 24, 2020
  3. ownership

To take ownership of a file or folder

Open File Explorer, and then locate the file or folder you want to take ownership of.

Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.

Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

Click Edit, and then do one of the following:

To change the owner to a user or group that is not listed, click Other users and groups and, in Enter the object name to select (examples), type the name of the user or group, and then click OK.

To change the owner to a user or group that is listed, in the Change owner to box, click the new owner.

(Optional) To change the owner of all subcontainers and objects within the tree, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

Andre Da Costa, Nov 24, 2020
  4. How do I change ownership and add user recursively?

Ownership Issues

that will not hurt taking ownership, but I would also then look in the list of users on the ownership page and make sure your user account name is there with full permissions. Probably not.

even though you take ownership of an item, you may not be in the list of users with permissions.

first select disable inheritance, then select "ADD" in the list of users, and add your user account the same way you took ownership and select full permissions.

Then administrators may only have select permissions in the list. so after you disable inheritance, delete admins user. then select add again and select admins in the list and select full permissions

restart pc

seahawks65, Nov 24, 2020
Thema:

How do I change ownership and add user recursively?

1. How do I change ownership and add user recursively? - Similar Threads - change ownership add

2. How do i change user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do i change user: Ive tried to move user accounts off C: drive. Than i made a new user to see if files appear on the mew location. They didn't nor did they appear on C drive. I restarted the PC thinking it might solvr the issue.On login screen only the newly made test account is visible....
  3. How do i change user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i change user: Ive tried to move user accounts off C: drive. Than i made a new user to see if files appear on the mew location. They didn't nor did they appear on C drive. I restarted the PC thinking it might solvr the issue.On login screen only the newly made test account is visible....
  4. How do i change user

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. How to change a computer's ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change a computer's ownership: HelloI have a computer laptop with my Microsoft Account. I want to give this computer to another person with a different Microsoft Account to own. So when this other person logs in turns on the computer they can see their name and enter their PIN as if they bought the...
  6. How to change a computer's ownership

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to change a computer's ownership: HelloI have a computer laptop with my Microsoft Account. I want to give this computer to another person with a different Microsoft Account to own. So when this other person logs in turns on the computer they can see their name and enter their PIN as if they bought the...
  7. How do i change ownership of my computer to my son?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How do i change ownership of my computer to my son?: How do i change ownership of my computer to my son? When he signs into the computer under his own passwords, he still sees all my activity....
  8. How do I recursively change file permissions on Windows?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I recursively change file permissions on Windows?: On Linux I can easily change the ownership of a folder/file via this command chown -R user1 some_folder but what is the equivalent method on Windows? submitted by /u/unix21311 [link] [comments]...
  9. Recursively take ownership of an entire folder tree and files?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Recursively take ownership of an entire folder tree and files?: I have a hard drive which someone used to store files for rooting and modding their Android phone. I want to delete that whole folder tree and its contents but it's proving to be stubborn, wanting permission from the user on the other computer. I have a Take Ownership mod...
  10. Recursively take ownership of an entire folder tree and files?

in Windows 10 Support
    Recursively take ownership of an entire folder tree and files?: I have a hard drive which someone used to store files for rooting and modding their Android phone. I want to delete that whole folder tree and its contents but it's proving to be stubborn, wanting permission from the user on the other computer. I have a Take Ownership mod...