Windows 10: How do I change the 3-finger-tap action on my touchpad from Cortana to middle mouse button?

Discus and support How do I change the 3-finger-tap action on my touchpad from Cortana to middle mouse button? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I would like to be able to tap with three fingers to emulate a middle mouse button click (e.g. to open links in a new tap). Unfortunately, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by LauraSZ, Jan 31, 2019.

1. LauraSZ Win User

How do I change the 3-finger-tap action on my touchpad from Cortana to middle mouse button?

Hello,

I would like to be able to tap with three fingers to emulate a middle mouse button click (e.g. to open links in a new tap). Unfortunately, it opens Cortana instead, which I very much don't want. This used to work until I updated to the 1809 update today.

Device: Lenovo Yoga 710-14IKB

Synaptics TouchPad

Windows 10 Home 1809

What I've tried:

- changing it through the additional mouse settings - I can only enable and disable three finger tap, but can't change it from cortana

- updating the driver - it's up to date

- reinstalling the driver - didn't change anything

- changing the registry key - this is what worked to change this originally, on a previous version of win 10. But now this doesn't seem to do anything anymore. Did the value that it should be set to change?

I'm still hoping to find a nicer solution to this than having to go into the registry (since the option _should_ be in the settings! That this is disabled in the first place is plainly infuriating). But I'd be perfectly happy if someone can tell me the correct changes to make to the registry keys to get this to work again on the last update.

Thanks!

:)

LauraSZ, Jan 31, 2019
  2. Aelius Win User

Touchpad tap configured as "mouse back button" not working in Explorer

I have a ThinkPad T480 laptop, using a Synaptics touchpad. I use the built-in Windows 10 touchpad settings to configure the tap functionality.

I configured the touchpad to function as a "mouse back button" when I tap it with three fingers. It works fine in Firefox but it does not work at all in Windows Explorer (i.e., browsing files on my computer.)

Touch pad scrolling works fine, even in Windows Explorer.

Interestingly, I can get it to work as long as Explorer isn't focused. So, for example, if I click an empty part of the taskbar and then put the cursor over an Explorer window - without clicking it - then I do a three-finger tap, Explorer successfully goes back.

One other interesting observation: if I set three-finger tap to something else (say, Action Center), it does work in Explorer. This suggests that the problem is not Explorer failing to recognize any taps - just SPECIFICALLY back-button tap functionality.

Also, I tried setting two- and four-finger taps as mouse back button functionality but it doesn't work for those either, meaning the problem is not specific to three-finger taps.

Any ideas?

Aelius, Jan 31, 2019
  3. kuertee Win User
    stop middle mouse button from opening cortana/search

Is there a way to stop the middle mouse button (i.e. click of the scroll wheel) from opening Cortana/search?

Things I've tried:

1. Searched Google. No useful results. The closest I found was that Windows 10 may be confusing the click of the middle mouse button as the 3-finger tap on the touchpad - which opens Cortana/search by the default. But I don't have a touch pad. I have the Toshiba PX30T (Toshiba Qosmio PX30t 23 inch Touchscreen All-in-One PC - Black/Silver (Intel Core i3 3120M 2.5GHz Processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDSM DL, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8 64-Bit): Amazon.co.uk: Computers Accessories).

2. Tried re-configuring the middle mouse button in (a) Windows 10 Settings > Devices > Mouse & touchpad, (b) Control Panel > Mouse, and (c) my desktop's manufacturer's System Settings utility application (upgraded just now from their website). Interestingly, none of those three configuration tools had any control setting for the middle mouse button.

It is obvious that Windows 10 doesn't "fully" support the wireless mouse that comes with my PC.

My question then is...

Is there a way to "unbind" the middle mouse button from opening Cortana/search? For example, via the Registry Editor - maybe?

Thanks for any replies!

kuertee, Jan 31, 2019
  4. How do I change the 3-finger-tap action on my touchpad from Cortana to middle mouse button?

Dell XPS 15 9550 Precision Touchpad, Change 3 finger tap to middle click

Hi Everyone,

So I have the Dell XPS 15 9550, the issue is that the option to change the 3 finger tap to a middle click is not available. I have no need for cortana but I use the middle click alot and I would it to be mapped to the 3 finger tap.

I have tried AutoHotKey and ran the script, but it is not as responsive as I would like and sometimes the middle click simply registers as a normal click. I have tried changing the registry values for for the file ThreeFingerTapEnabled from 1-7 but no luck.
    Does anyone know how to edit the 3 finger tap to the middle click besides autohotkey?

Thanks

Cranston

**Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.**

Cranston Williamsworth, Jan 31, 2019
Thema:

How do I change the 3-finger-tap action on my touchpad from Cortana to middle mouse button?

1. How do I change the 3-finger-tap action on my touchpad from Cortana to middle mouse button? - Similar Threads - change finger tap

2. How can I change Touchpad two finger tap function?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I change Touchpad two finger tap function?: I have Windows 11, and I am not sure that is possible. I turned off right-click function and I want to use a two-finger tap as a mouse wheel tap. The touchpad is very annoying when I don't have this function. With this mouse wheel tap, it doesn't matter which browser, I can...
  3. Touchpad 3 & 4 finger tap gestures not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touchpad 3 & 4 finger tap gestures not working: i cant use the features of Touchpad 3 & 4 finger tap gestures not working when i tap with 3 or 4 fingers it didnt respond.when i sweep with them it work easy..but when i tap it didnt worki tried to uninstall the Touchpad drivers on my machinei tried to Download the driver...
  4. Touchpad 3 & 4 finger tap gestures not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Touchpad 3 & 4 finger tap gestures not working: i cant use the features of Touchpad 3 & 4 finger tap gestures not working when i tap with 3 or 4 fingers it didnt respond.when i sweep with them it work easy..but when i tap it didnt worki tried to uninstall the Touchpad drivers on my machinei tried to Download the driver...
  5. Touchpad 3 & 4 finger tap gestures not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Touchpad 3 & 4 finger tap gestures not working

Touchpad 3 & 4 finger tap gestures not working: Hello, I recently purchased an Asus Zephyrus G14 2020. The 3 finger tap is set to launch windows search and 4 finger tap set to open the action center. The computer sent to sleep after a couple of hours of non use and upon awakening these gestures have ceased working. I...
  7. How to use Middle Mouse button tap on a Laptop?

How to use Middle Mouse button tap on a Laptop?: When I click on my middle mouse button on an internet page, a "power scroll" icon comes up. I can drag my mouse up or down and it will follow, scrolling up or down the page without me having to manually scroll the middle mouse button. I have a Predator Helios 300 with...
  8. Change 2 finger tap to middle mouse button (Synaptics Precision touchpad) via regedit

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change 2 finger tap to middle mouse button (Synaptics Precision touchpad) via regedit: I recently bought a new Laptop (HP Envy x360, Intel i5 10th gen.) with a synaptics precision touchpad. I just wanted to change 2 finger tap to middle mouse button. In in the win10 settings i can only choose to set 2fingertap to right click: yes or no. On my old laptop i had...
  9. Customize two finger tap on a touchpad assign middle-click

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customize two finger tap on a touchpad assign middle-click: Hello, I've recently changed OS from Win 8.1 to Win 10 and been trying to customize a two-finger tap assign middle-click to it, but so far I wasn't able find a way for that. That would be logical since two-finger swipe is used for scroll "rotate mouse wheel", therefore...
  10. How do I get middle click via a three finger tap with my touchpad?

How do I get middle click via a three finger tap with my touchpad?: So I recently purchased a new laptop that has Windows 10 installed (Acer Aspire E5-573G) and I would like to change the way the touchpad taps work. Specifically, I would like a middle click from a three finger tap. It's an ELAN touchpad, if that makes any difference, and I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change what three finger press does

2. 3 finger tap middle click windows 10

3. elan change 3 finger tap cortana middle

4. change cortana from middle touchpad button windows 10,
  5. disable cortana 3 finger,
  6. change 3 finger tap windows 10