Windows 10: How do I change the account administrator from my son to myself?

Discus and support How do I change the account administrator from my son to myself? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; He set the computer up initially and set up himself as the administrator. I want to become the only administrator instead so that I can set up time... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JulieWissink, Jun 25, 2019.

1. How do I change the account administrator from my son to myself?

He set the computer up initially and set up himself as the administrator. I want to become the only administrator instead so that I can set up time limits that he cant change without my approval.

Thanks for input!

:)

JulieWissink, Jun 25, 2019
  2. DaveM121 Win User

administrator change from me to my son on laptop I bought for him

If your son has an account on the laptop already:

• Go to Control Panel (Windows + X keys together and choose Control Panel from the resulting menu)
    • Select User Accounts - Manage Another Account
    • Select your son's account and set its type to Administrator
    • If you want to delete your own account, close Control Panel, log out, log in under your son's account, go to the same place in Control Panel, Manage Accounts and delete your old account

If your son does not have an account on the laptop:

• Go to Control Panel (Windows + X keys together and choose Control Panel from the resulting menu)
    • Select User Accounts - Manage Another Account - Add a new User in PC Settings
    • In Settings select 'Family and other People', then 'Add someone else to this PC'
    • Create a new account for your son, if you wan you can skip the step to enter your son's email address by clicking 'I don't have this persons Sign-in Information' - 'Add a User without a Microsoft Account'
    • Enter your Son's Name and Password if required, set account type as administrator
    • If you want to delete your own account, close Control Panel, log out, log in under your son's account, go to the same place in Control Panel, Manage Accounts and delete your old account

DaveM121, Jun 25, 2019
  3. Arul_D Win User
    How do you change a user account to an administrator account in Windows 10?

Hi Fiona,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to go to control panel and check your user account status. Right click on the start button and select control panel in the menu. In the control panel, click on the 'view by' option in the top right and select 'large icons'. Now, click
    on 'User accounts' and check if your account is listed as Administrator. If it is not displayed as Admin account, click on the option 'Change user account type' and select 'Administrator' and apply changes. Try these steps and let us know the results. If you
    have already tried, please let us know what all troubleshooting steps you have tried so far, so that we can provided you suggestion accordingly.

Arul_D, Jun 25, 2019
  4. Ryan Mon1 Win User

How do I change the account administrator from my son to myself?

Change local account into administrator

Hi Ankit,

We appreciate you for providing these necessary information. We have another way on how to change your local account user into administrator account. Please follow the steps provided below:

• Press Windows key + I to open the Settings app.
    • Click Accounts.
    • Click Family & other people.
    • Under Other people, select the user account, and click
      Change account type
    • Under Account type, select Administrator from the drop down menu.
    • Click OK to complete the task.

Note: If you are using an Administrator account, you could use the same instructions to change the type to a Standard User account.

Let us know in case you encounter an issue while following the steps provided.

Ryan Mon1, Jun 25, 2019
Thema:

How do I change the account administrator from my son to myself?

1. How do I change the account administrator from my son to myself? - Similar Threads - change account administrator

2. how do I make myself administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do I make myself administrator: when i reinstalled windows a random account called administrator came up and i tried to log into it wit my password and it didnt work so i add to create a non administrator account and now i need to know how to change myself to one, when i got in control panel to try do it,...
  3. how do I make myself administrator

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    how do I make myself administrator: when i reinstalled windows a random account called administrator came up and i tried to log into it wit my password and it didnt work so i add to create a non administrator account and now i need to know how to change myself to one, when i got in control panel to try do it,...
  4. How do I change my account to administrator?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change my account to administrator?: I’m on windows 11 and can’t find the change account type setting. There’s no family & other users setting so I’m unsure what to do as I’m trying to allow third party apps on my laptop....
  5. How do I change my account to administrator?

How do I change my account to administrator?: I’m on windows 11 and can’t find the change account type setting. There’s no family & other users setting so I’m unsure what to do as I’m trying to allow third party apps on my laptop....
  6. How do I make myself an administrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I make myself an administrator: Hi Microsoft community I am interested in knowing how I put myself on administrator as My school put me on standard accountAny answers? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-make-myself-an-administrator/cc95897d-c306-436a-a15d-4750881f8199
  7. How do I make myself an administrator

How do I make myself an administrator: Hi Microsoft community I am interested in knowing how I put myself on administrator as My school put me on standard accountAny answers? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-make-myself-an-administrator/cc95897d-c306-436a-a15d-4750881f8199
  8. How do I make myself an administrator

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. how do I change the administrator on my account?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    how do I change the administrator on my account?: How do i Change the administrator name and email address on my account? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-administrator-on-my-account/3359495c-b329-4ba5-876a-2508618c8449"
  10. Removing Myself From Account Administrator

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Removing Myself From Account Administrator: Purchased new laptop for my granddaughter on her birthday. Tried to surprise her by loading my Office & Webroot on the new laptop. Surprised myself instead! Now her laptop looks just like mine, all the way to the background image. How do I remove myself from the account...