Windows 10: How do I change the app that opens a file type after already clicking "Always Open with...

Discus and support How do I change the app that opens a file type after already clicking "Always Open with... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I meant to click on a different app when I used "Open with" and I accidentally clicked on MS Word, and "Always open with this app" was checked. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TheTrashyKittenArt, Oct 26, 2020.

1. How do I change the app that opens a file type after already clicking "Always Open with...

So I meant to click on a different app when I used "Open with" and I accidentally clicked on MS Word, and "Always open with this app" was checked. I want to change what app opens JSON files, and I can't figure it out. When I right-click it, Open With is no longer an option. How do I change this?

:)

TheTrashyKittenArt, Oct 26, 2020

2. Can't change default program to open files.

Hi,

I'm trying to change the default program for .dwg files from Autocad to Draftsight.

I already tried:

• right click > open with > choose another app > always use this app. The file opens in Draftsight without problems, but it still opens with Autocad the next time you double click a dwg file.
    • settings > apps > default apps > choose default apps by file type. This also does not change the default method to Draftsight.

When I type assoc .dwg in command prompt, it shows ".dwg=DraftSight.Drawing"

I see some suggestions to try using the old interface through control panel, but it seems like control panel routes to the new interface.

I also tried changing the association for .txt files from notepad to notepad++ and it doesn't work either.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

petersteele, Oct 26, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

How do I change the app that opens a file type after already clicking "Always Open with... [​IMG]

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

How do I change the app that opens a file type after already clicking "Always Open with... [​IMG]

4. dalchina Win User

How do I change the app that opens a file type after already clicking "Always Open with...

How to change default app for file type

@Bree - yes, I'm quite aware of this thanks, but as you will see it's missing. I recall reading that clicking the dialogue at a certain point in blank space made it appear, and trying that once successfully, but doesn't seem to help now. Plenty of other similar reports of this option being missing.

'Fix' described here: (essentially unassociate the extension)
    Windows 10 "Always use this app" checkbox missing - Super User

dalchina, Oct 26, 2020
Thema:

How do I change the app that opens a file type after already clicking "Always Open with...

1. How do I change the app that opens a file type after already clicking "Always Open with... - Similar Threads - change app opens

2. how do i open .22 file types

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i open .22 file types: my jpeg files and PDF files are saving as .22 which happens when i end my file name with the date 30.11.22 and then i cannot open them as they are then saved as a 22 file, i get the following message paint cannot read this file, This is not a valid bitmap file, or its format...
  3. how do i open .22 file types

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i open .22 file types: my jpeg files and PDF files are saving as .22 which happens when i end my file name with the date 30.11.22 and then i cannot open them as they are then saved as a 22 file, i get the following message paint cannot read this file, This is not a valid bitmap file, or its format...
  4. how do i open .22 file types

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. How do I open the .HEIC file type?

How do I open the .HEIC file type?: How do I open the .HEIC file type? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-open-the-heic-file-type/b9089d20-24a3-4f0b-b42e-c293ec1bd714
  6. How do I open the .HEIC file type?

How do I open the .HEIC file type?: How do I open the .HEIC file type? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-open-the-heic-file-type/b9089d20-24a3-4f0b-b42e-c293ec1bd714
  7. How do I open the .HEIC file type?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. How to change default app to open certain file types.

How to change default app to open certain file types.: It's not as simple as it seems :) Although it's easy as pie to change default apps by type file, but how to do it if I want to use app that's not on the default Window list? Like in this example, [img] File is opened by IE but I have installed in my system programme called...
  9. How do I Undo "always open file with"

How do I Undo "always open file with": I have a problem. I have been using sims 4 mods, which uses .package files that need to be downloaded, copied, then moved into a different folder. I am familiar with downloading these, but I clicked an option I thought would make it easier. When I downloaded that file, I...
  10. change the default app to open a file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    change the default app to open a file type: How do I change the default app to open a .wpd document file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-default-app-to-open-a-file-type/6cb7b0b6-d967-4f4b-9d18-8ad6651abac0