Windows 10: How do I change the behaviour of Windows Boot Manager?

Discus and support How do I change the behaviour of Windows Boot Manager? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I bought an SSD for my laptop a while ago. Because my desktop was running out of storage, I decided to use the old hard drive of my laptop for free... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/WiardiVK, Dec 30, 2020.

1. How do I change the behaviour of Windows Boot Manager?

I bought an SSD for my laptop a while ago. Because my desktop was running out of storage, I decided to use the old hard drive of my laptop for free storage. When I inserted it, Windows was still on there. Then I formatted it. I thought that now my desktop would behave like normal, but with an extra drive. It didn't. Windows Boot Manager wanted to boot from that drive, but every single time it came to the conclusion that system32 was not there. It wasn't there, but it was on my other drive. So I could just select that I wanted to boot from another device, and that would be my hard drive with Windows on it. Windows Boot Manager didn't remember that, however, so it would take a long time. Therefore I selected in my BIOS to boot from my Windows drive directly instead of Windows Boot Manager. That worked, until I got an SSD for my computer. I installed Windows on that drive, but haven't uninstalled it from my old one yet. Windows Boot Manager kept wanting to boot from the only drive without Windows on it, so I wanted to make my SSD the standard boot drive in my BIOS. That was impossible, and I have tried everything. So, is it possible to change the behaviour of Windows Boot Manager? I can still access my PC after 20 seconds or so, but the whole point of my SSD is that Windows would boot faster.

submitted by /u/WiardiVK
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/WiardiVK, Dec 30, 2020
  2. Phillmont Win User

Hibernating laptop changes to sleep behaviour after Windows 10 May 2019 update

Hi Aditya,

Thank you for your reply. I have tried the two steps (turning of Hybrid sleep and Fast startup) you suggested but to no avail. Okay, for your two questions:

1. My laptop is a HP Pavilion 14-bf101tx, and currently running Windows 10 1903 (upgrading from 1809).
    2. Nope. No error messages. I suppose the boot process was successful, however, my battery was reduced. That's why I suggest the post title as "Hibernating changes to sleep behaviour" because the battery level reduction looks like sleep behaviour.

Please inform me of any diagnostics information you might need. Thank you for your kind assistance.

Phillmont, Dec 30, 2020
  3. Windows boot manager

There could be some system conflict triggered after the said changes. To help you with your concern, we suggest that you perform a clean boot. A
    clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This will help to determine what is causing the issue on the Windows boot manager. To do this, click on this
    link and scroll down to the
    How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a clean boot section then follow the steps listed..

Note: If the installation is successful and the issue has been resolved. Please go through the section “How to reset the computer to start as usual” to reset your computer to the normal startup.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested steps.

Eileen Gal, Dec 30, 2020
  4. How do I change the behaviour of Windows Boot Manager?

Problem with Master Boot Record / Windows Boot Manager

Hi Ver0s,

My name is Erik. I'm an Independent Advisor and I'll be glad to help you today.

Kindly try to change system properties to enable or disable Windows Boot Manager. Here are the steps for you.if this will not work go to CMD

Step 1: Open the Run dialog window by pressing Win plus R keys.

Step 2: Type sysdm.cpl and click OK to continue.

Step 3: When the System Properties window pops up, choose the Advanced option. Then click on the Settings under the Startup and Recovery option.

Step 4: In the pop-up window, select the Time to display list of operating systems box and set the time value. After that, click OK to save the changes.

Step 5: If you want to disable BOOTMGR, cancel Time to display list of operating systems box or set the time value as 0 and click OK to finish the operation.

2nd Options

Try to enable/disable Windows boot manager. Used CMD

Step 1: Type cmd in the search box, and then right-click Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator.

Step 2: Type the following commands in the Prompt and hit the Enter key after typing each one command.

bcdedit / set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes

bcdedit / set {bootmgr} timeout 30

Tip: The timeout decides the time of the boot manager displayed. You are able to specify the timeout value in seconds based on your requirement.

Step 3: If you want to disable Windows Boot Manager, you need to type bcdedit / set {bootmgr} timeout 0 and hit Enter.

Please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Regards,

Erik

Independent Advisor

EriksonBautista24, Dec 30, 2020
Thema:

How do I change the behaviour of Windows Boot Manager?

1. How do I change the behaviour of Windows Boot Manager? - Similar Threads - change behaviour Boot

2. KB5025885: How to manage the Windows Boot Manager revocations for Secure Boot changes...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5025885: How to manage the Windows Boot Manager revocations for Secure Boot changes...: Hi Team,Regarding CVE-2023-24932, As per the below instructions it is not possible to update the bootable media manually for all the machines in an organization, do we have any alternative for this?Please revert back us ASAP, or route us to get the proper support on...
  3. KB5025885: How to manage the Windows Boot Manager revocations for Secure Boot changes...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB5025885: How to manage the Windows Boot Manager revocations for Secure Boot changes...: Hi Team,Regarding CVE-2023-24932, As per the below instructions it is not possible to update the bootable media manually for all the machines in an organization, do we have any alternative for this?Please revert back us ASAP, or route us to get the proper support on...
  4. How do I change the boot logo to a GIF?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the boot logo to a GIF?: How do you change it to a gif? I know HackBGRT can do it, but it only supports bmp. Can anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-boot-logo-to-a-gif/83b793d0-c665-4947-be32-2d45821926e2
  5. How do I change the boot logo to a GIF?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change the boot logo to a GIF?: How do you change it to a gif? I know HackBGRT can do it, but it only supports bmp. Can anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-boot-logo-to-a-gif/83b793d0-c665-4947-be32-2d45821926e2
  6. Change Boot Drive - Windows Boot Manager

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change Boot Drive - Windows Boot Manager: I need to make my Boot drive larger - so I went out and got another NVME drive and PCI card to mount it to.I made a clone of the existing boot drive and the ancillary partitions. So I now have two drive that are identical clonesThe next step is supposed to be to tell the BIOS...
  7. How do i change the default file manager in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do i change the default file manager in windows 10?: Hey i recently found this file manager that i wanna use instead of the windows 10 file manager. but how do i change the default file manager in windows 10. submitted by /u/Cubicalspy [link] [comments]...
  8. Change Windows Boot Manager Font

in Windows 10 Support
    Change Windows Boot Manager Font: By some luck I did it before, but can't seem to be able to do it again now. Is there any way to Change the font in Boot Manager? I know I have done it before, change the font on my entire system, it would show my selected font everywhere even in the boot manager, on logon...
  9. How do I change Computer Management opening window size?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I change Computer Management opening window size?: When I open this app, it always uses the same window size, which is too small for my liking. Resizing and maximizing it doesn't help; after I close, the next time I re-open, it will be back to that default size. Is there a way I can set the window size parameters for this...
  10. How do I change ALT+TAB behaviour

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I change ALT+TAB behaviour: Hi folks I am stumped by something which I assume is relatively easy to fix. The Alt+Tab behaviour has changed on my Win 10 laptop and I am not sure how to change it back. I prefer Alt+Tab to make definitive screen changes, but now it seems to be a scrolling change...