Windows 10: How do I change the default for opening files?

Discus and support How do I change the default for opening files? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I’m trying to download a zip file from google. When trying to open it, I was asked what application to open it with and was prompted with several... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/JayMiester7, Aug 29, 2020.

1. How do I change the default for opening files?

I’m trying to download a zip file from google. When trying to open it, I was asked what application to open it with and was prompted with several options. I clicked “open with internet explorer” and that didn’t work out. I’ve downloaded a proper zip file opener application but when I’m trying to download the zip file, it’s automatically being open by internet explorer. How do I change it to automatically open with a different application?

submitted by /u/JayMiester7
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/JayMiester7, Aug 29, 2020

2. Can't change default program to open files.

Hi,

I'm trying to change the default program for .dwg files from Autocad to Draftsight.

I already tried:

• right click > open with > choose another app > always use this app. The file opens in Draftsight without problems, but it still opens with Autocad the next time you double click a dwg file.
    • settings > apps > default apps > choose default apps by file type. This also does not change the default method to Draftsight.

When I type assoc .dwg in command prompt, it shows ".dwg=DraftSight.Drawing"

I see some suggestions to try using the old interface through control panel, but it seems like control panel routes to the new interface.

I also tried changing the association for .txt files from notepad to notepad++ and it doesn't work either.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

petersteele, Aug 29, 2020
  3. Change How Folders Open By Default (My laptop keeps using CMD)

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. I suggest you to set File Explorer as the Default program and check if that helps. To do this, refer the steps given below.

• Open Control Panel.
    • Search for Default Programs.
    • Go to Default Programs.
    • Look for File Explorer towards the left pane and select it.
    • Set this as default program and apply changes.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps.

Arvind Ram, Aug 29, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

How do I change the default for opening files?

How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

How do I change the default for opening files? [​IMG]

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

How do I change the default for opening files? [​IMG]

Thema:

How do I change the default for opening files?

1. How do I change the default for opening files? - Similar Threads - change default opening

2. How do I change the default program which opens a particular file type?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I change the default program which opens a particular file type?: In the choose default apps by file type I'm only given 3 options:Choose an app1. an app that doesn't work2. an app that doesn't open the file type in question3. Look for an app in the Microsoft Store hint: there are noneHow do I choose a .exe already on my computer which I...
  3. How do I change the default program which opens a particular file type?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the default program which opens a particular file type?: In the choose default apps by file type I'm only given 3 options:Choose an app1. an app that doesn't work2. an app that doesn't open the file type in question3. Look for an app in the Microsoft Store hint: there are noneHow do I choose a .exe already on my computer which I...
  4. How do I change the default program which opens a particular file type?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to change jar files to open default.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change jar files to open default.: So I accidentally changed it so my jar files open with internet explorer and I would like to make it the default instead of any apps without a system reset please advise....
  6. How do I change the default file browser?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I change the default file browser?: Title. Trying out an alternate one and it's a pain to have File Explorer always opening by default. submitted by /u/Electro-Ninja [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j5emml/how_do_i_change_the_default_file_browser/
  7. How do you change the default app for opening a single file?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do you change the default app for opening a single file?: I've tried googling and searching the various subreddits. All the results are for how to change the default app for all files of a particular extension. How do you change the default app for opening a single file? In this case I want a particular .txt file to open with...
  8. how do I change the default to open an app

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do I change the default to open an app: How do I change the program default to open a .jef file. The one I have is not working and I even deleted the old app, but it still won't change anything....
  9. how do I change the default apps for a file type?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do I change the default apps for a file type?: I know how to go to default apps and change default apps for a file type, but for example, I am trying to associate google sheets for .gsheets files or even excel for .gsheets files. Windows 10 has them defaulted to googlesyncdrive and only offers me that option or to go to...
  10. How do I change the default setting for .eml files?

in Browsers and Email
    How do I change the default setting for .eml files?: I started using a new mail client...Mailbird. I want to save certain emails in the external hard drive. Mailbird explained how to save them as *.eml files. However, when I try to open one, it defaulted to the built-in Windows 10 app called 'Mail'. So, I went to the default...