Windows 10: How do I change the default programs... theyr'e not on the list.

Discus and support How do I change the default programs... theyr'e not on the list. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi there everyone, I'm a new user to windows former Mac user since OS 9 classic. But I am finding my way around. One thing I am stuck with is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Newbie0176, Dec 30, 2019.

1. How do I change the default programs... theyr'e not on the list.

Hi there everyone,

I'm a new user to windows former Mac user since OS 9 classic. But I am finding my way around.

One thing I am stuck with is changing default programs. I have say Canon software on my computer that I use to open image files but Windows doesn't even notice it.

I'm thinking this is because its in a folder full of other canon utilities? Even when I choose program by filetype?

:)

Newbie0176, Dec 30, 2019

2. How can I change the default video player to something that isnt in the list of suggested programs

I want to change the default win10 video player to something that isnt in the list of suggested programs.

JohnSmithQR, Dec 30, 2019
  3. Changing Default program in Win 10 home

Hi Alan,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

• As you sure that this program is successfully installed on the PC?

If the default protocol that you wish to change is not available in the Settings app, you can use Control Panel to change the default programs in Windows 10.

Follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key + X to get the menu.
    • Click the ‘Control Panel’ and then click on ‘Default Programs’.
    • Click on the option saying ‘Set Your Default Programs’.
    Control Panel will find the installed apps and programs and display the list. You will see the list of installed program in the left pane and the right pane will contain a description of program, along with options that let you set the program as default
    for files/protocols it can handle

Select the program that you wish to set as default, and then click on ‘Set this Program as Default’. This will set the program as default for files and protocols it can handle.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Dec 30, 2019
  4. How do I change the default programs... theyr'e not on the list.

Change How Folders Open By Default (My laptop keeps using CMD)

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. I suggest you to set File Explorer as the Default program and check if that helps. To do this, refer the steps given below.

• Open Control Panel.
    • Search for Default Programs.
    • Go to Default Programs.
    • Look for File Explorer towards the left pane and select it.
    • Set this as default program and apply changes.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps.

Arvind Ram, Dec 30, 2019
Thema:

How do I change the default programs... theyr'e not on the list.

1. How do I change the default programs... theyr'e not on the list. - Similar Threads - change default programs

2. change default program when not listed by ms for that file type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    change default program when not listed by ms for that file type: win10 want to change default photos app for .jpg to faststone, but not available to search in installed programs for it, just the ms store, hopefully there is some way to do this, not just for this but any default program of my own choice [img] 176865
  3. How to add programs to the Default Apps list?

How to add programs to the Default Apps list?: I mean the list that shows up when you go to Settings > Apps > Default Apps. You can "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store", but I want to add a .exe. I know you can set default apps by file type or protocol, but this is much easier and I don't have to set them one by one...
  4. How to add programs to the Default Apps list?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to add programs to the Default Apps list?: I mean the list that shows up when you go to Settings > Apps > Default Apps. You can "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store", but I want to add a .exe. I know you can set default apps by file type or protocol, but this is much easier and I don't have to set them one by one...
  5. How change default MailTo: to an app not listed?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How change default MailTo: to an app not listed?: I use an application by the name of Outlook Express Classic which is very much like the Outlook Express program that was discontinued by Microsoft. I want this to be my only email client program. I was able to make it my default App for eml files, but I am unable to make it...
  6. How to Change Default Programs in Registry

How to Change Default Programs in Registry: Hi, I'm trying to change the default program for opening .txt files to notepad++ in Windows 10. When I go to the normal Default Programs in "Settings", there is no option for notepad++ and I can't find anything in the store. So I figured that left me with the registry....
  7. Change default program

Change default program: I just got a new computer. I always use Paint Shop Pro for my pictures. But I can't get Windows to open all pictures in it. I always have to go more steps. And even if I say to use Paint Shop as program - for sure next time I open a picture I get Windows photo app. Any idea...
  8. How do I change the default program for PHP files

How do I change the default program for PHP files: on my windows 10 laptop I have PHP installed. however the system file associations shows that the "Free File Viewer" is the program associated with PHP files. when I run the control panel to change the file association for PHP files I do not get any option to choose any...
  9. Change default program

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change default program: Hi I have both OneNote2010 and OneNote2016 installed (because you must the whole 2016-office suite) but I just use the 2010 version After the last Windows update default program for (.one) has changed back to 2016 And I cant find the 2010 version to add How can you...
  10. How to add my own program to the list of Default programs?

How to add my own program to the list of Default programs?: I'm trying to add my own program (AkelPad) to the list of Default programs. [img] I created and applied the reg-file, but the program still is not in the list. Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AkelPad\Capabilities]...