Windows 10: how do I change the default to open an app

Discus and support how do I change the default to open an app in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How do I change the program default to open a .jef file. The one I have is not working and I even deleted the old app, but it still won't change... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Linda_466, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Linda_466 Win User

how do I change the default to open an app

How do I change the program default to open a .jef file. The one I have is not working and I even deleted the old app, but it still won't change anything.

:)

Linda_466, Jan 30, 2020

2. Can't change default program to open files.

Hi,

I'm trying to change the default program for .dwg files from Autocad to Draftsight.

I already tried:

• right click > open with > choose another app > always use this app. The file opens in Draftsight without problems, but it still opens with Autocad the next time you double click a dwg file.
    • settings > apps > default apps > choose default apps by file type. This also does not change the default method to Draftsight.

When I type assoc .dwg in command prompt, it shows ".dwg=DraftSight.Drawing"

I see some suggestions to try using the old interface through control panel, but it seems like control panel routes to the new interface.

I also tried changing the association for .txt files from notepad to notepad++ and it doesn't work either.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

petersteele, Jan 30, 2020
  3. Change How Folders Open By Default (My laptop keeps using CMD)

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. I suggest you to set File Explorer as the Default program and check if that helps. To do this, refer the steps given below.

• Open Control Panel.
    • Search for Default Programs.
    • Go to Default Programs.
    • Look for File Explorer towards the left pane and select it.
    • Set this as default program and apply changes.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps.

Arvind Ram, Jan 30, 2020
  4. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done how do I change the default to open an app :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Jan 30, 2020
Thema:

1. how do I change the default to open an app - Similar Threads - change default open

2. HOW DO I CHANGE DEFAULT APP FOR THE HTML FILES ??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HOW DO I CHANGE DEFAULT APP FOR THE HTML FILES ??: I uninstall edge the first day i got my new pc , now i have to right click and choose open with to open a html file... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-default-app-for-the-html-files/b38946e5-2399-4899-8523-5d1c5c0d044e
  3. HOW DO I CHANGE DEFAULT APP FOR THE HTML FILES ??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HOW DO I CHANGE DEFAULT APP FOR THE HTML FILES ??: I uninstall edge the first day i got my new pc , now i have to right click and choose open with to open a html file... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-default-app-for-the-html-files/b38946e5-2399-4899-8523-5d1c5c0d044e
  4. Changing default open app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing default open app: How can I change the default open app for pdf files when windows doesn't make adobe acrobat available as an option only Microsoft Edge? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-default-open-app/d2fd766b-1b4d-4f25-9124-5c5ae0a54cd2
  5. Changing default open app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing default open app: How can I change the default open app for pdf files when windows doesn't make adobe acrobat available as an option only Microsoft Edge? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-default-open-app/d2fd766b-1b4d-4f25-9124-5c5ae0a54cd2
  6. Changing default app for opening GIF

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing default app for opening GIF: Windows 10 Home version 20H2, Irfanview image viewing/editing program Version 4.58 - 64 bitHow do I set Irfanview as the default App for opening GIF images? When I attempted to change the default app setting in "Choose default apps by file type" in Settings, Irfanview isn't...
  7. How do I change the default for opening files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I change the default for opening files?: I’m trying to download a zip file from google. When trying to open it, I was asked what application to open it with and was prompted with several options. I clicked “open with internet explorer” and that didn’t work out. I’ve downloaded a proper zip file opener application...
  8. How do you change the default app for opening a single file?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do you change the default app for opening a single file?: I've tried googling and searching the various subreddits. All the results are for how to change the default app for all files of a particular extension. How do you change the default app for opening a single file? In this case I want a particular .txt file to open with...
  9. How do I change a default app?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I change a default app?: I accidentally did the default of .jar files as "Notepad", when I don't want any default app. How do I set it to no default at all? [ATTACH] When I click on it, this shows:[ATTACH] And when I click "Look for an app in the Store", it doesn't show an option to set no...
  10. how do I change the default apps for a file type?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do I change the default apps for a file type?: I know how to go to default apps and change default apps for a file type, but for example, I am trying to associate google sheets for .gsheets files or even excel for .gsheets files. Windows 10 has them defaulted to googlesyncdrive and only offers me that option or to go to...